• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Can somebody answer this?

since this card is so late coming out, how long until the XTX, or R650 comes after it?

i see no mention of a XTX card anywhere, just the XT with 512mb video ram.

I'm not buying the XT just so a better one comes a month later.

The 8 pin buisness does seem a little crazy, considering the indvidual feeds hang on 22/24A rails (280w potential) connector losses and more importantly circuit board track size has proberly dictated the need for more "less loaded" connections

Perfect_Chaos said:

since this card is so late coming out, how long until the XTX, or R650 comes after it?

I would imagine a couple of months.

Read X1800 - X1900 timeframe

Perfect_Chaos said:

according to one ""source"":

We dont know much but we can confirm that ATI is working on a smaller R600 marchitecture based chip codenamed R650. It is officially messed up with R600. The R600 chip is simply too hot and it has terrible heat dissipation and this problem has to be fixed. Dissipation of 230+ Watts is simply too much for any graphic chip and any standard.

We are seeing R520 got swapped with R580 situation all over again and this can definitely confirm that R600 wont have a good and great life. R600 will be replaced as soon as possible as soon as the R650 redesign is done. This is a very expensive but desperate move.

We dont know any schedules about R650 but we are sure that it comes later than Q2

:)

-Ant

nicolasb said:
The converter will only help if you have three six-pin connectors.

Just a thought, but how about using the existing 2 PCIE 6-pin from your PSU and use the 2*4-pin molex to 1*PCIE 6-pin adapter to make up the third 6-pin PCIE required for the 8-pin converter? :cool:

Sounds confusing I know.

steve258 said:
Just a thought, but how about using the existing 2 PCIE 6-pin from your PSU and use the 2*4-pin molex to 1*PCIE 6-pin adapter to make up the third 6-pin PCIE required for the 8-pin converter? :cool:

Sounds confusing I know.

Sure You can get around it but you have to consider balancing the load on your PSU as most are using multiple 12V rails...just a case of seing which connectors are comming from which feeds

Hi there

There is a lot of in-accurate information in this thread from other sources who are clearly guessing. Don't believe everything you read guys. When I can tell you more I shall do so. :)

neo202020 said:
I don't know what other people's views are on it but if you said that to me I wouldn't consider it to be harmless banter. People often tend to forget with hardware that we're all spending very large amounts of money on these things and someone might not have 2GB of RAM and a better CPU simply because they can't afford one...in that context I think it wouldn't be nice for them to have their machine called "useless".

In any case, Gibbo did ask you to stick to the topic and I think most of us would appreciate it if you could do that since it would leave more room for a proper discussion of what are very interesting topics.

/peace

He can afford a 8800GTS 640mb card costing 270 but not 40 quid for another gig of ram? :confused:

He would have better perfromance spending 180 on a 320mb GTS and getting more system ram

easyrider said:
He can afford a 8800GTS 640mb card costing 270 but not 40 quid for another gig of ram? :confused:

He would have better perfromance spending 180 on a 320mb GTS and getting more system ram

Do you bother to read what other people post or do you just come on here and post without any regard for others' comments? He stated quite clearly that he spent everything he had to buy the card, which means that no, he doesn't have 40 pounds to buy more RAM.

Yes, he would have been better off buying RAM and a cheaper 8800 but that's not what he did and the fact that he didn't do that doesn't make his PC useless, nor does it give you the right to make derogatory comments about him/his PC.

Please leave this alone and grow up.

easyrider said:

I only read a few posts, but did read the poster wrote he didnt feel it was worthwhile buying DDR ram now when any pc upgrade would mean the use of DDR2 ram. Whereas he can keep his graphics card regardless of which pc he uses.

I do however agree on your last point, but thats moot now.

And Yes lets stick to the topic. As my next upgrade will be an R600 or Nvidias greatest depending on performance / price when ATI's next cards are released

LoadsaMoney said:
That sounds ******* amazing, i so cant wait now, thanks for posting that. :cool:
Make up your mind! :p From what I've read on here one minute you're slating ATI/AMD, then you're cosying up to them, then you're back to laughing at them again. It's cool that you're not blindly partisan to one brand, but I think you need to decide who you're going to support without feeling the need to bash the other side all the time! :)

willhub said:
I cant accept thats why I stutter in UT2004 or TDU since it was hardly there with my X800XT.....

BF2142 only stutters like once ever 10mins and I have that on 16xQAA/16xAF/supersampling with average of 60fps, GRAW dont stutter hardly either with a memory usage of like 80-90%
I can't speak for UT, TDU or BF2142 but it made a World of difference in both loading times and general choppiness in game when I went from 1GB to 2GB.

It's not much use having the best graphics card available if you've got something else bottlenecking the system. 1GB just isn't enough for the latest games I'm afraid.

Durzel said:
. 1GB just isn't enough for the latest games I'm afraid.

Yes,

Thats correct.

Hes blaming the 8800 GTS 640mb when we all know thats not the problem.
Its the misbalanced comopnents in the system.

Anyway back on topic.

I will be getting the R600 1gig version on release I would have thought.

Durzel said:
Make up your mind! :p From what I've read on here one minute you're slating ATI/AMD, then you're cosying up to them, then you're back to laughing at them again. It's cool that you're not blindly partisan to one brand, but I think you need to decide who you're going to support without feeling the need to bash the other side all the time! :)
You dont know Loads then, they have Split personality disorder. One is an ATI fanboi, the other Nvidia. ;) :D

But the R600 does look to be a good card & if priced well is likely to be my next upgrade.

Antx777 said:
Well, just had the case open, and it DOES have an 8 pin connector, (it is WHITE), and TWO 6 pin connectors (Black) for SLI compatability.
Yes, but that 8-pin is not a PCIe 2.0 power connector, it's another type of connector needed for certain motherboards. You have two 6-pin PCIe 1.0 power connectors, and can therefore run a single R600 card at stock speed only.

For more info on this, may I commend everyone's attention to the following thread over at jonnyguru.com...?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220

Can run 300W R600 Crossfire natively (i.e. without the need for adapters.)
  • Silverstone Strider ST85F with two 6-pin to 8-pin + 6-pin modular cables. Can hook up to R600 crossfire out of the box.
  • Silverstone Olympia OP1000 with four 6-pin PCI-e and two 8-pin PCI-e. Only revision 1.1 and up have correct connector. Version 1.0 has wrong 8-pin and comes with adapters.
  • Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W & 1200W with three native 8-pin and three native 6-pin cables. Can run three R600 crossfire cards.
  • ePower Xscale 900W, 1000W, 1100W and 1200W. Has six 6-pin PCI-e connectors (two dedicated and two cables w/ two connectors each) and two 8-pin (which happens to have 2-pin breakaway so they can be used in 6-pin cards for a total of EIGHT 6-PIN connectors!) Can run R600 Crossfire natively
  • Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W has four 6-pin PCI-e connectors and two 8-pin PCI-e connectors!
  • Ultra X3 1000W. Modular interface includes four 6-pin PCI-e connectors and six PCI-e cables: four 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI-e
Can not run 300W R600 Crossfire natively (i.e. w/o the use of an adapter.)
  • Silverstone Olympia OP650 with one native 8-pin and two 6-pin cables. Cannot run R600 crossfire natively (lack of a second 8-pin connector)
  • Silverstone Olympia OP750 with one native 8-pin and four 6-pin cables. Cannot run R600 crossfire natively (lack of a second 8-pin connector)
  • Enermax Infiniti 650W and 720W comes with one native 8-pin and two 6-pin PCI-e connectors. Cannot run R600 crossfire natively (lack of second 8-pin connector)
There are aso some pictures of what the correct and incorrect versions of the 8-pin PCIe 2.0 connector look like.

Hi there

Our current stock of Enermax 850W and 1000W PSU's support these new style connectors.

Also I believe the Enermax Infiniti range does as well, plus some of the new Coolermaster PSU's.

At the end of the day if you want good great kit you need to supply it a good source of power.

Its like you don't buy a Ferrari and then run it on the cheapest dirtiest petrol you can find do you? Most people would give it the best like Shell V Power. :)

Back
Top Bottom