• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

nicolasb said:
Not easy to get hold of one of those in the UK. Even harder to get one at a less than insane price. :(

I wish Etasis would do 2x8/2x6 version of their 750W and 850W models. That (or the Silverstone Zeus line, which is the same devices rebadged) would be a good deal.

My Silverstone OP750's got the new 8 pin PCI-E connector and 4 6 pin PCI-E's, the only PSU I've seen with 2 8pin connectors is the strider 850 and that got a very average review.

Gibbo have ATi allowed you to release any more information yet, a number of media sources on the web have there samples and have openly expressed their experience with the card.

Well I'll be waiting until it's out and seeing how people get on with them with regards to power requirements and overclocking. There is no way I'm buying a new PSU just to run one of these, so if that's needed for overclocking I'll just go the GTX route. As always everything is being based on speculation so we'll see what's what in a month or so.

nicolasb said:
Not easy to get hold of one of those in the UK. Even harder to get one at a less than insane price. :(
Only one place sells them, always in stock mind @ £200+vat. I'll not use anything else, then again I am a self confessed PCP&C fanboy.

fornowagain said:
Only one place sells them, always in stock mind @ £200+vat. I'll not use anything else, then again I am a self confessed PCP&C fanboy.
Given that you can get a 750W Etasis for less than half that, I regard that as an insane price. :)

nicolasb said:
Given that you can get a 750W Etasis for less than half that, I regard that as an insane price. :)
Pays yer money..

I'll not consider much else, the Turbo 510 I have is an amazing PSU. 1% regs, 0.5% ptp ripple and 5 years warranty. If you don't mind ordering from the states, a Silencer 750 Quad is $199, after customs its something like £152 delivered.

Last edited:
fornowagain said:
I'll not consider much else, the Turbo 510 I have is an amazing PSU.
You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you over your PSU cooling fan. :D

The Silencer range isn't in the same class as the Turbo-Cools, anyway; I think they're rebadged Seasonic S12/M12 devices. I mean, they're good, clearly, but they're not that good. JonnyGURU tier 2 rather than tier 1.

This is getting a bit off-topic, isn't it? Oops. :)

Ever so slightly more on-topic: I notice Silverstone now have the OP850 PSU on their website. The specs look good, although there's a limit to what you can get from specs. Like the 750W Olympia and Decathlon models it has a single 8-pin PCIe connector and four 6-pin ones. That means they can run overclocked R600 Crossfire if you use a two-6's-to-one-8 adapter.

Last edited:
nicolasb said:
You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you over your PSU cooling fan. :D

The Silencer range isn't in the same class as the Turbo-Cools, anyway; I think they're rebadged Seasonic S12/M12 devices. I mean, they're good,clearly, but they're not that good.
Thats just not true, mine is dead silent, early 510's sure. And they're not rebadged either.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=374&type=expert&pid=3

Here are a few pictures showing the layout and components inside the Silencer 750W Quad power supply. PC Power & Cooling has been using Seasonic to manufacture the Silencer power supply line for about 5 years. Seasonic is known for building high-quality units and has an excellent reputation in the power supply industry. It is important to note however that PC Power & Cooling does not re-label products as many do (Seasonic has no product of their own similar to the Silencer 750). PC Power & Cooling actually designs their PSUs and owns the tooling, printed circuit boards (their name is on them), safety certifications, etc., along with all other product rights. Seasonic (and others) are simply contracted to build the PSUs to PC Power & Cooling's demanding specifications. So don't get the idea you're going to find the same PSU with PC Power & Cooling's legendary performance and reliability with someone elses name on it! Their reputation has been earned, not bought.

Last edited:
12k in 3dmark06, cool the 11k im getting with my 8800 makes me glad i didnt wait.

Now lets see the ingame numbers and really see whats on the table :P

Elrein said:
12k in 3dmark06, cool the 11k im getting with my 8800 makes me glad i didnt wait.

Now lets see the ingame numbers and really see whats on the table :P
Sorry but I think its a bit early to quote bench figures, none can be confirmed. God knows what alpha/beta drivers they're using. Oh and btw I get well over 12K in 06 with a GTX.

And I'm glad I didn't wait, I bought on release day and have been playing solid ever since. If the R600XTX is way quicker, I'll probably buy one, but the GTX is a fine card all the same, clocked a treat, just overpriced.

Last edited:
[edit]
Gibbo, Hi there! :) love that

I'm in!! Anyway, I registered and was going to ask a question, but it might be too late now. :( I was just wondering if AMD gave you any recommendations on how to run the card and what games/apps to run on it, Gibbo? I figure they probably didn't just ship you out a card and drivers and just said go at it! heh But maybe they did, I don't know how it all works. :(
Also, I assume it's red? :D And most importantly, what do the stickers look like? :D

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom