Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Associate
Personally I'd find it odd owning this laptop and not wanting to run at least 32GB.

If I were to look further at RAM it'd be to find a way to run 64GB heh.

I'm running 16GB on my old laptop at the moment and it's not stable (thanks Chrome). I probably should stop running hundreds of tabs.

Associate
My laptop arrived yesterday and I have the random keyboard double press issue. Is this a software issue or do I need to return the laptop?

Edit: and thank you for your input regarding the RAM... I think I will take my chances and stick with 16gb for now, assuming this keyboard issue is resolved, as mainly I'm a lot more attentive to my Chrome tabs ;)

Associate
My laptop arrived yesterday and I have the random keyboard double press issue. Is this a software issue or do I need to return the laptop?

Makes me a little concerned that the keyboard has the random double key press issues. I have an original Aorus X5 and it suffers from this issue too. Would have thought this issue would not rear its head again if it was well known from other Gigabyte / Aorus models.

Associate
Yeah the double key press issue is something I’ve seen mentioned regularly on Reddit. If this is showing on the new models having been clearly identified in the past then I would also have major hesitations about going ahead with my purchase of the Aero.

Associate
OP
This is of deep concern. My understanding was that this was a new keyboard with anti ghosting etc and therefore all previous keyboard issues would be resolved! My unit is being shipped right now, I'll be sorely ****** if it suffers the same issue.

Associate
Generally I really like the machine the speed and screen is great - but I got my first double key press while typing in my Microsoft username during the setup process, which concerned me... and since then I have had it a number of times. I really don't know what to do - after spending so much on a machine there should be an amount of quality control...

Soldato
Yeah the double key press issue is something I’ve seen mentioned regularly on Reddit. If this is showing on the new models having been clearly identified in the past then I would also have major hesitations about going ahead with my purchase of the Aero.

Complete deal breaker for me. I thought the fact that the ghosting keyboard was highlighted in the previews, meant that they'd specifically address the issue.....

GS65 Stealth is looking more and more like a safer option!

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Edit: and thank you for your input regarding the RAM... I think I will take my chances and stick with 16gb for now, assuming this keyboard issue is resolved, as mainly I'm a lot more attentive to my Chrome tabs ;)
Makes me a little concerned that the keyboard has the random double key press issues. I have an original Aorus X5 and it suffers from this issue too. Would have thought this issue would not rear its head again if it was well known from other Gigabyte / Aorus models.
Maybe @Atom80 can help?
This is of deep concern. My understanding was that this was a new keyboard with anti ghosting etc and therefore all previous keyboard issues would be resolved! My unit is being shipped right now, I'll be sorely ****** if it suffers the same issue.
Generally I really like the machine the speed and screen is great - but I got my first double key press while typing in my Microsoft username during the setup process, which concerned me... and since then I have had it a number of times. I really don't know what to do - after spending so much on a machine there should be an amount of quality control...
Complete deal breaker for me. I thought the fact that the ghosting keyboard was highlighted in the previews, meant that they'd specifically address the issue.....

GS65 Stealth is looking more and more like a safer option!

Hi All - please don't panic - solution is software related, not hardware. We will post the fix as soon as it is ready and easy to follow - please be patient and we will post as soon as we have it.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
My Aero 15X v8 is in my hands (thanks, OC). I've seen no problem with the keyboard; it's one of the best I've used on a laptop. But perhaps I'm not doing whatever creates the problem. If you can tell me how to replicate it, I can tell you if it's still a problem.

I've not yet pushed the laptop hard, but on the whole I'm impressed. The trackpad is taking some getting used to, partly because I'm used to being able to track across the whole pad, and the scroll works in reverse from what I'm used to. But it's working well, it'll be fine once my muscle memory adjusts.

Slight irritations: I had to find and download the fusion software to stop the keyboard playing preset patterns at me. I also had to download the latest GeForce Experience because the one installed kept crashing.

Major irritation: If I plug my headphones (AKG K845) in, I have to restart the laptop to get it to recognise them. I realise this is partly the fault of the headphones because it works with another pair. But, even with that pair, it doesn't recognise them as a separate device, it just takes over the speakers. This is an odd way of operating. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Overwhelming plus: The screen. It's a thing of outright beauty. Clear, excellent colours, and super configurable. This was the deal-breaker for MSI, in my mind, and I'm not disappointed.

Any questions anyone has, shout up.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
My Aero 15X v8 is in my hands (thanks, OC). I've seen no problem with the keyboard; it's one of the best I've used on a laptop. But perhaps I'm not doing whatever creates the problem. If you can tell me how to replicate it, I can tell you if it's still a problem.

I've not yet pushed the laptop hard, but on the whole I'm impressed. The trackpad is taking some getting used to, partly because I'm used to being able to track across the whole pad, and the scroll works in reverse from what I'm used to. But it's working well, it'll be fine once my muscle memory adjusts.

Slight irritations: I had to find and download the fusion software to stop the keyboard playing preset patterns at me. I also had to download the latest GeForce Experience because the one installed kept crashing.

Major irritation: If I plug my headphones (AKG K845) in, I have to restart the laptop to get it to recognise them. I realise this is partly the fault of the headphones because it works with another pair. But, even with that pair, it doesn't recognise them as a separate device, it just takes over the speakers. This is an odd way of operating. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Overwhelming plus: The screen. It's a thing of outright beauty. Clear, excellent colours, and super configurable. This was the deal-breaker for MSI, in my mind, and I'm not disappointed.

Any questions anyone has, shout up.

Hi @YeWhoEnte - glad the unit has arrived safely and has met your expectations. We trust you continue to enjoy the product, especially when "pushed".... please do share further feedback once you have had the unit for a while and adjusted to it.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi All - please don't panic - solution is software related, not hardware. We will post the fix as soon as it is ready and easy to follow - please be patient and we will post as soon as we have it.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Hi Atom, thank you for the update. Are you able to expand on the software issue? Is the fix a software update to "ignore" double key presses due to a hardware issue, or is the entire issue software related? Thanks.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom, thank you for the update. Are you able to expand on the software issue? Is the fix a software update to "ignore" double key presses due to a hardware issue, or is the entire issue software related? Thanks.

Hi @Prozn - We will get an update from R&D, hopefully tomorrow - because of the time difference (7 hours ahead) we cannot provide solution today.

Please bear with us.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi Atom, I'll do that.

Any thoughts on this headphone issue? Am I right that the headphone socket is provided by the speakers, rather than the sound card, and thus won't turn up as an attached device, whatever I do? And, if so, why would one headset work and not the other?

Or is it that the Realtek drivers/software need updating somehow? (Wouldn't be the first time; my blood runs cold when I see the word Realtek.)

Really is a pain to have to restart just to use my over-ear headphones.

Associate
What’s the fan noise like under gpu load please? I had an Alienware 17 r4 but had to send it back as the fan noise was unbearable. Headphones are not an option as I use mine with my wife nearby regularly so it needs to not disturb her too much.

I have an ASUS G751 at the moment and you can barely hear the fans even when gaming.

Associate
There are multiple fan modes ranging from silent to "gaming". With the gaming profile you can hear the fans under load from the next room. With the silent profile the fan noise seemed fine - although I will do a stress test tonight and report back.

I guess the silent mode underclocks/thermal throttles stuff to manage the heat - I will report back on this also.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom, I'll do that.

Any thoughts on this headphone issue? Am I right that the headphone socket is provided by the speakers, rather than the sound card, and thus won't turn up as an attached device, whatever I do? And, if so, why would one headset work and not the other?

Or is it that the Realtek drivers/software need updating somehow? (Wouldn't be the first time; my blood runs cold when I see the word Realtek.)

Really is a pain to have to restart just to use my over-ear headphones.

Have forwarded your post to R&D to see what they suggest.

Should have response tomorrow.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
Thats interesting. I'm impressed by the gpu temp. I may try and undervolt my cpu and limit the clocks to 3.9 or 4.0 when I get it. Will be more than enough hp for my usage and should save a little on noise and temps. What clock speed did the cpu throttle back to?

Associate
Thats interesting. I'm impressed by the gpu temp. I may try and undervolt my cpu and limit the clocks to 3.9 or 4.0 when I get it. Will be more than enough hp for my usage and should save a little on noise and temps. What clock speed did the cpu throttle back to?

Sorry! My fan profile was on "Normal" setting. The silent profile seems to actually be silent, but there is heavy underclocking.

3dmark comparison between silent, normal and gaming profiles: https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/3637623/spy/3636272/spy/3631655

And the charts:

xCfC1aO.png

Back
Top Bottom