Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Associate
OK, been back to look at the DIMMs once the battery had run-down... and good news! I can get the Crucial DIMM to work with the existing Kingston cbd26d4s9d8me-16 but only if I switch the Kingston chip out of the default slot 3 (as it came installed) to slot 1. I could only get both chips to co-exist with the Kingston in slot 1 and the Crucial in slot 3. FYI, HWiNFO64 reports the part number of the Crucial chip as 16ATF2G64HZ-2G6E1 rather than CT16G4SFD8266. I've attached HWiNFO64 reports for both chips, hope it helps.

yKwDywR.png
5sEqIX3

Associate
Well, not good news I'm afraid... received the Crucial CT16G4SFD8266 this afternoon and added it to the Kingston cbd26d4s9d8me-16 already installed - again black screen and doesn't want to power off. Currently waiting for the battery to run down before I have another look. Any ideas on where to go from here... and please don't say RMA, I only received the thing yesterday! @Atom80 ?
1. detach the battery and attach it again
2. detach all RAM, try install one of it, if it works, install another one
3. additional 10~15 sec will be needed for memory size checking after boot. (and it will look as black screen also)so please be more patiently wait

Associate
1. detach the battery and attach it again
2. detach all RAM, try install one of it, if it works, install another one
3. additional 10~15 sec will be needed for memory size checking after boot. (and it will look as black screen also)so please be more patiently wait

Thanks baloney, like I said in my later post it worked once I switched the chips in the slots, so perhaps it worked once memory size checking was complete. Anyway, working now so all good, cheers.

Associate

This is an interesting one. BIOS updates also say that there will be a 10-15 sec black screen on the next startup. But I've waited 2-3 minutes and got no response, hard restarted and it works. Perhaps that's related to this conversation -- ie. it's not really taking 15 seconds, it's taking minutes, and we're all losing patience.

In other news, my laptop remains very happy with its new Crucial RAM.

Associate
This is an interesting one. BIOS updates also say that there will be a 10-15 sec black screen on the next startup. But I've waited 2-3 minutes and got no response, hard restarted and it works. Perhaps that's related to this conversation -- ie. it's not really taking 15 seconds, it's taking minutes, and we're all losing patience.

In other news, my laptop remains very happy with its new Crucial RAM.

from my experience, the memory sizing won't take over 20 sec. If the black screen lasts over a minute, it should be unsuccessful boot

Associate
Today I received the replacement for my Kingston Value ram - KVR26S19D8/16. At first I thought it was a mistake and they had sent me the same ram again as the label looked the same. On closer inspection the only difference were 3 little letters at one side of the label. This one said MIC, the previous one said HYN. This makes sense as Kingston thought the problem was that the CBD26D4S9D8ME-16 module used Micron chips and the original KVR26S19D8/16 used Hynix chips.
I had to have the original in Row 0 and the new one in Row 2 or it would not boot. Looking in HWinfo everything appears identical between this module and the original and it is all working fine.
Very glad it is sorted but surprised by how hard this has been to get sorted.
I do not know how anybody would go about ordering this module with the MICRON chips rather than the HYNIX chips without talking to Kingston on the phone.
I shall email Kingston and let them know this has been successful, maybe they can ensure the correctly chipped module is shipped when the Aero 15X is selected as the model.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Hi @Kissarmy - sorry for the delay, we did receive reply from R&D.... and it goes a little something like this....

"For the customer who is looking for RAM upgrade solution. Please introduce him with the Crucial RAM module. It had been tested with the Kingston one installed in his system"

"We confirm this mixed installation can work in DDR4-2666 speed and stable for daily usage."

RAM MODULE

So if the module you have coming, presents problems, the above link is what R&D suggest.

We have sent your additional feedback just now, awaiting reply.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Just to confirm, just took delivery of this ram module (after Newegg order failed to show up), installed and booted up first time, running tests now, perfectly stable and a nice little boost in various apps.

Associate
Just used smart update to update my Nvidia drivers and it failed: (to 411.63)

The standard NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows. Please update your driver using GeForce Experience to download the correct version.

Say what?

Associate
What's your opinion of the Gigabyte Aero 15X? I've read quite a few reviews suggesting that the screen hinges are weak and the chassis gets very hot.
I'm looking to get one of these for using with video editing, light gaming and some web development work and will be commuting with it. Also, what would be the best model variant to go with? At the moment I'm thinking the 1060 as that's the one that's most in-budget, whereas the 1070 variant is £200 with no other changes in the specification from what I can see...?

Associate
What's your opinion of the Gigabyte Aero 15X? I've read quite a few reviews suggesting that the screen hinges are weak and the chassis gets very hot.

All gaming laptops get "quite hot" if you're gaming with it on your lap. This is no exception. It might even be worse than some others, but I would honestly recommend a table/desk for gaming, on the X15 or any other with a MaxQ video card. If you're just browsing the internet or anything that is limited to the onboard graphics, you'll be fine with it on your lap. Still warmer than a non-gaming laptop, but not uncomfortable unless it's the middle of summer.

I don't recognise the description of the screen hinges as weak. I've had mine for 8 months and carried it to an office and back every weekday for nearly 4 months and that hinge is solid as can be.

Associate
Just used smart update to update my Nvidia drivers and it failed: (to 411.63)

The standard NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows. Please update your driver using GeForce Experience to download the correct version.

Say what?

I ran into the same thing. I think it's an odd versioning problem. The versioning on Official and Latest begins 24, but I think 25 is correct (24 was probably copy/pasted from the Intel driver row somehow). So when you click to upgrade, it gets into a versioning mess and downloads the wrong thing.

I've installed the one from GeForce Experience and that seems to be working fine.

Associate
All gaming laptops get "quite hot" if you're gaming with it on your lap. This is no exception. It might even be worse than some others, but I would honestly recommend a table/desk for gaming, on the X15 or any other with a MaxQ video card. If you're just browsing the internet or anything that is limited to the onboard graphics, you'll be fine with it on your lap. Still warmer than a non-gaming laptop, but not uncomfortable unless it's the middle of summer.

I don't recognise the description of the screen hinges as weak. I've had mine for 8 months and carried it to an office and back every weekday for nearly 4 months and that hinge is solid as can be.

Good to know! I think I'm pretty much sold on the 15W version of the Gigabyte Aero, it just depends if another price drop is planned, or indeed an upgraded model.
Any ideas when new models would get announced? I've searched but nothing about 2019's offerings comes up...at least any substance anyway.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Good to know! I think I'm pretty much sold on the 15W version of the Gigabyte Aero, it just depends if another price drop is planned, or indeed an upgraded model.
Any ideas when new models would get announced? I've searched but nothing about 2019's offerings comes up...at least any substance anyway.
Isn't the 15W a 2017 model? I'm not sure I can speak to the hinges on a 15W.

HI @Shoxt3r & @YeWhoEnter - just wanted to confirm that the chassis and generation of the AERO15W and AERO15X are identical, so the construction, materials and quality are mirrored across the three versions we have in the market.

Hope that clarifies and reassures.

Thanks for you comments and feedback.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
HI @Shoxt3r & @YeWhoEnter - just wanted to confirm that the chassis and generation of the AERO15W and AERO15X are identical, so the construction, materials and quality are mirrored across the three versions we have in the market.

Hope that clarifies and reassures.

Thanks for you comments and feedback.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Thanks for confirming Atom!
Are there any plans to drop the price of either model further? Also have you heard anything about future, replacement models...if not when is this expected do you think?

Back
Top Bottom