Gigabyte DS3/DS4/DQ6 Guide

Soldato
jezzag said:
I was having the same random reboot problem as you and found putting the MCH in the bios +1.5 and upping the core voltage a notch or 2 cured it.

I must have pushed it a bit far, I've knocked the CPU back down to 3ghz, slackened the memory timings a little and upped the vcore and touch wood, seems to be fine now.

The power on, power off loop happened to me to begin with, I'm sure mine was caused by bad bios settings, I whipped the battery out, tried different settings and it hasn't done it since.

Soldato
I get the power on, power off loop when i reset or save bios setting at times. I was under the impression its just something the board did as my mates does the same. Im guessing its not meant to from reading this ??

Cob

Cob

Soldato
SpudMaster said:
I get the power on, power off loop when i reset or save bios setting at times. I was under the impression its just something the board did as my mates does the same. Im guessing its not meant to from reading this ??

It's meant to do it once after changing some BIOS settings. They're talking about an endless restart loop.

Soldato
yeah i get that too. currently running at 440x8 which is prime stable. But today it wouldnt boot, just power on, power off till evently it stayed on but nothing, just hung. Pressed reset then it booted but cpu was running at stock. Went into bios, changed back to my overclock settings n again power on power off until cpu was reset back to stock. I let it boot into windows, then restarted, applied my overclock settings again and all worked fine.

Has done that both times ive switched the pc on today even though everything is prime stable :confused:

Associate
hi all

just got my DQ6 E6300 system up and running

trying some Oc'ing for the first time really. Didnt get very far in the bios, but I installed that easy tune program and it OC'd my chip to 2.06GHZ on standard volts i think

My pc that the E6300 will replace is an AMD XP2600 and runs at that so i'm happy for now!

got to say tho, the DQ6 has the most confusing bios ive ever seen!
I updated to the most recent bios, which apparently is great for Oc'ing but I am still stuck on on what to touch and what not to!

Associate
Hi peeps

i had my DQ6 for a month now and i want to upgrade my rig with another 1900 now i know i need a master card but what i need to know is, will i just need to update my bios to get the crossfire working or would it be better for me to get a different mobo, and if so any suggestions???????

TY

Cob

Cob

Soldato
.:dhry:. SiroVa said:
Quick question:

Does the DS4 Support Nvidia SLI out of the box?

It doesnt mention on the gigabyte website anything about SLI or CF.

Nope. You need some hacked SLi drivers.

And Crossfire is now officially supported on the DS4.

Soldato
.:dhry:. SiroVa said:
Hm,

Then why would overclockers pre sales, and a guy on the sales calldesk say it does support Nvidia SLI out of the box?

No Mention of hacked drivers from them.

The key word there is "sales", never believe anything someone who works in that field tells you.

Associate
Hy guys...
I got a question.
i just bought a ds3 motherboard and a set of gskill 2 gb 6400 PK memory.
I still can change since i haven't actually got it.
The thing is....for what i have seen this memory kit has no problem posting with the motherboard....but i just want to be sure...
Does it work fine with the ds3 ?

thanks

Soldato
I have muchos problems:

1) Random boots
2) When it boots it only counts the ram and then sits there
3) With no ram = lots of beeps
4) With ram same happens with number 2
5) Won't always get the to the stage in number 2, sometimes fans will just rev right up and that's it.

Spec:

E6300 retail
DS3 (with F2 bios from what I can see on the post screen)
2*512mb geil PC6400
Antec Neopower 480
X1800XT

I've tried the ram in all different configs and I get nothing.

Associate
To help anyone.
DS4/E6400/XT1900XT/Corsair Twin XMS 4-4-4-12

Make sure you download the latest drivers from the Gigbyte website INCLUDING the audio drivers.

I'd done everything else, except the audio, and as soon as I installed SP2 on XP Pro, BSOD, "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". 2 days later, managed to suss it.

What a palava !

Soldato
Not seen this mentioned I don't think.

DS4 and CPU fan speed.

Noticed that the CPU fan only runs at 50% if the bios fan control is set to anything other than disabled.

If Easytune is configured to run the fan at full speed in the Smart Fan page then the fan still only runs at 50% on boot up until Easytune is first run.

Speedfan when set to 100% for the CPU fan speed only runs the fan at 50% of it's full speed.

Setting Legacy and PWM in the bios runs the fan at 50%.

Either turning off the fan speed control in bios or setting Easytune Smart Fan feature to 100% at all temps(or your desired temp) and actually running Easytune at bootup seems to be the only way to get a true 100% fan speed.

100% fan speed on my Intel stock fan is 1685.

Last edited:
Soldato
DS4 Voltage.

Another stupid quirk. Not sure if the other Gigabyte boards do this either.

CPU is a 6600. Default voltage is 1.30v

So, up the FSB to 334 to give a nice round 3GHz. Set all the voltages to default(normal) as the CPU doesn't need extra to run at that speed. Make sure set as optimal is on for the voltages.

The voltage set by the bios is not 1.30v as expected but 1.36v as shown by CPU-Z.

Then notice that there is a message in the help pane of the MIT page saying that when overclocked and set to default that the bios will raise the voltage on it's own.

Stupid !

Associate
excellent sticky: has made my mind up for me, im deffo gonna go for the DS4 or DQ6
having probs running my Geil PC6400 on a foxconn 965 board and cant get it to go past 160 without restarting
so i take it the Geil ram is certified on this board ? :D

Caporegime
Robert said:
Sorted mine. Had to go and get a 256mb stick of DDR2 from COMPETITOR. All running now @ 2.8ghz.

;)

@Torch [P4] Im running the DS4 here with the Geil Ram (Low Latency 6400 stuff), works a treat, no problems at all, no need to get a cheapo stick to get it to boot either as it works right off the bat. :)

Thats right that ns400r about the fan speed as ive just tried it, when its set to Leagcy and PWM here, it runs at about 1300rpms (Freezer 7 pro), and when disabled it runs about 2600rpms, doesn't need to be set to run full speed though for me, as when its running full speed my idle temp is 27-28, where as if i have it set to Legacy, and PWM my idle temps 29-31, not much differance, and its quieter. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah it might have been an earlier BIOS revision that needed the cheapo sticks in first, as a lot of the Ram problems got sorted in a later BIOS revision, mine came with F3, and i got it about 3x weeks ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom