Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

i ran memtest86 on it and it passed okay, so could it just be the settings somewhere? its an bundle i bought but its been very unstable so far :(

Like I said I'm not surprised with a 3800Mhz uncore, the uncore is supposed to be twice your RAM speed yet you've got it more than 3 times that.

Its the settings or a lemon of cpu. As said above, at 200 BCLK set the memory back to x8, uncore to x16. Manually set the QPI/Vtt to 1.5v and work down until it's unstable. For a 4GHz bundle I'd expect the vtt to within + or - 0.3v of the vcore with only 1600MHz 6Gb ram.

thanks ill give that ago so basically im reducing the qpi/vtt down until it becomes unstable then set it to the last setting before the instablity starts? the uncore was actually set to auto in the bios!

The memory on the bundle i got is pc3-12800 how does it work at 1600mhz im not used to this yet

thanks ill give that ago so basically im reducing the qpi/vtt down until it becomes unstable then set it to the last setting before the instablity starts? the uncore was actually set to auto in the bios!

You need to drop the uncore down to something sensible like 3200Mhz, at that speed 1.35v VTT should be perfectly fine. Auto = 3800Mhz = BAD.

The memory on the bundle i got is pc3-12800 how does it work at 1600mhz im not used to this yet

As mmj_uk says, uncore has to be a minimum of twice the memory multi. Lots of people have success with x2+2, so for 200BCLK, with memory at x8 1600MHz then a x18 uncore of 3600MHz. Stick with x2 for now. Most seem to top out around 4000Mhz, mine will go to 4Ghz at 1.28v easily, but does little/nothing for performance so I back it off. It may not be the speed, but the multi ratio it doesn't like, it can be something as simple as that.

PC3-12800 is DDR3-1600Mhz (800 x2 x8 = 12800)

Last edited:
Leaving cpu at x18, vtt at 1.5v+ x16 uncore. Dropping memory multi to x6 and it's ok? If it is, what happens if the vtt goes down to 1.3V?

Just checking my notes, I had to increase my CPU PLL from 1.8 > 1.84 to stop lock ups. Its an odd one and probably not relevant, on the off chance try raising or lowering this a notch or two, 1.7v seems common.

It may be worth trying in a slightly lower baseclock, 190x21 (Turbo mode). I had an i7 that didn't like 200x20 but was fine at 191x21.

Another one to try, take one of the three memory sticks out at a time (you may have to shuffle them around to get dual channel). See if that helps, one of them or one of the slots may have a problem. I know you used memtest86, but it can be quite forgiving. Try HCI memtest run in windows.

Last edited:
yep it shows as 3200mhz

the settings are as follows

cpu clock ratio = 20x
turbo boost = enabled
cpu cores enabled = all
multithreading = enabled
enhanced halt = enabled
c3/c6/c7 state = disabled
thermal monitor = enabled
eist function = enabled
bi-directional prochot = enabled