Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

Guys anyone is getting a single stutter at the windows 7 starting when the dots appear? I get like a half second stutter on the red dot on the left when it moves at first.

Just another question ..... when I did lower the setting at first when I checked the easytune it showed Power on as 1.535 and Target as 1,3 ? all other settings appear to be matched so why didn't this match???
Cheers
mrix
Its the only one you changed? Seems to remember that last change.

hi guys i have had the same problems with this coldboot restarting problem details of my rig can be found here

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18115267

i dont know for you all but last night i found a soultion for my the PC powers on and then a few seconds power downs and then keeps looping. i have a wireless card (PCI) that i have in my computer is quite a old one when i have this installed on my computer and i leave the computer with no power for a number of hours and then go to switch it on i find the computer restarts so what i did was leave the wireless cards out over night and this morning when i went to switch on the computer it booted up first time with no problem straight into windows so i suggest if guys are getting this same problem check what hardware u have in your PCI slots.

as i said before this solved my problem i will have to probably buy a newer wirless card i dont know if it will help all but i jusyt wnat to post my findings just in case it did.

can i use this profile with a UD4P

my boss got the overclocked UD5 bundle with corsair memory and 90 D0

i have his memory and 920 in exchange for my memory and C0 920

but he kept the UD5

both boards are pretty much the same afaik so can i use the overclocked profile on my ud4P ? thanks

Thanks for the posts on here very helpful (perhaps apart from the teaser from fornowagain ;) )

I had the cold boot (and standby freezing) even on F10 Bios. Tinkered with the overclock and now runs fine. Solved I think just with memory voltages , but could have been the QPI voltage too. I'm never disciplined enough to just change one thing at a time! Many of my voltages were left on Auto which is clearly a mistake when running decent OCs.
I ran EasyTune 6 and it display 1.53V for the QPI, which seemed very high. So dropped it down. In short: DRAM voltage up, QPI down:

Current settings that seem to work perfectly so far: (both cold boot and coming out of standby on cold mornings)
Base Clock 180 MHz
Core Multplier 21
Uncore Multiplier 16
Memory Multiplier 8
Quick Path Interconnect 36 (Auto)
PCI-E Express 100
Turbo Mode OFF
CI Power save stuff OFF

Which means Clock Speed =
Core 3780
UnCore 2880
Memory 1440
Quick Path Interconnect 6480
Voltages
Line Calibration OFF
CPU VCore 1.2825 V
Core PLL 1.8 V
QPI/UnCore 1.35 V
IOH Core 1.1 V
DRAM Bus 1.66 V

Prime95 gives core temps of circa 70 -75 °C no problems.

Any comments or tips on the setup above?
I'll leave it a few days for testing standby and cold boot and then I might get more ambitious and go for the magic 4GHz (with your help!)
thanks again
jij

Welcome to the forum. Looks ok to start with, obviously first thing is to get the baseclock up a bit. Get the ram nearer its stock speeds and push the uncore bandwidth. Btw, I think its 4 lines of test in sig as a maximum.

Welcome to the forum. Looks ok to start with, obviously first thing is to get the baseclock up a bit. Get the ram nearer its stock speeds and push the uncore bandwidth.
:) Cool, thanks. I'll have a go this evening. By uncore bandwidth I assume you mean to maintain multipler at 16 and just raise the base clock. Bclk at 200 (dropping core to x20) would push uncore from 2880MHz to 3200MHz.

Have you had any success with higher Bclks at say 220 (dropping core to x18 = 3.96GHz) which would overclock ram to 1760MHz?

For a minute I'm just happy having a good stable system, with not boot / standby problems!
cheers

You'll be lucky to get 220 without a modified board. But yeah get the BCLK up, run the ram at its default 1600MHz, x8 at 200BCLK. Uncore bandwidth is your memory controller to cpu core, so again a bit higher is good. You shouldn't see any stability issues with x16 3200MHz, even higher is ok, 3600MHz is generally fine..

my system seems to be running stable also after oc told me to adjust a few settings with regards to pci-e frequency and memory does the image below look okay now to get the best clock?

overclockers2.jpg

my system seems to be running stable also after oc told me to adjust a few settings with regards to pci-e frequency and memory does the image below look okay now to get the best clock?
Glad you're getting somewhere. Yes, I've mentioned it before but that's a seriously unhealthy Vtt, there's no way it needs that much. The northbridge (not strictly a NB, but hey) is running faster than needed at x19, again you could drop that a bit without reducing performance and increase stability. And obviously you've dropped the memory to 75% of their rated speed, which won't make a massive difference to performance, but if you stay there you could probably tighten the timings and command rate up quite a bit.

I've mentioned it before but that's a seriously unhealthy Vtt, there's no way it needs that much.
Mine defaulted to the same 1.53 too when set Auto. I changed it in the BIOS on your advice, down to 1.35V. Works fine - lower voltage = less heat, longer life. Happy days :)

I also think this was part of the solution to the multiple restart cold boot problem, (although more likely upping the DRAM from 1.5 to 1.64V?). I'm currently running DRAM at 1440MHz, but will test at Bclk 200 x8 = 1600MHz and get back to you.

i've tried changing my vtt settings to 1.35v but i get a blue screen when going into windows seems to only like running on auto? also oc have set my memory to run at 75% as system becomes unstable for some reason when running at 100% of its memory capacity?

With your memory at only 1200Mhz I would think you'd be able to manage at least 8-8-8-24 timings if not 7-7-7-21.

3800Mhz uncore could cause problems as well you only really need it that high for 1900mhz memory.

i've tried changing my vtt settings to 1.35v but i get a blue screen when going into windows seems to only like running on auto? also oc have set my memory to run at 75% as system becomes unstable for some reason when running at 100% of its memory capacity?

As above it's because your uncore frequency is ridiculously high so you need loads of VTT to keep it stable.

You should try 1600mhz memory with 3200mhz uncore (set it manually) and you should be able to lower the VTT to 1.35v as well.

Last edited:

Something's not right there, the Vtt is purely to run the uncore, the on-die memory controller. You're not pushing it with 6Gb@1200, in fact quite the opposite. It's not just that the Vtt is so high, its that its delta to the vcore is massive and that's not good. With memory unstable at default speeds and a murderous Vtt I'd be on to the supplier again or persevere with getting the Vtt lower with a lower uncore multiplier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom