Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

Associate
re:

Yes started to get the first boot of the day problems... basically this has happened 3 days on the trot... basically I start to boot then it basically doesnt get as far as window and reboots... when I finally get on the desktop and check my overclock settings they have been changed to default:confused:
I find it annoying to be honest:eek:
Basically if I restart now and change back to the overclock settings it will be ok again most of the day..
Has anyone contacted overclockers about this issue at all?
Cheers
mrix

Associate
A lot of people are saying this issue is with UD5 board, drop your OC and if you still have the problem then maybe yes but more than likely it will be fine; meaning it's the OC settings and not the board itself. I researched this problem loads and eventually was lucky enough to find a OC enthuseast who works in a third party support forum for gigabyte. I posted a templated of my overclocked settings and he posted back with "alternative" suggestions. After updating the bios and redoing the overclock myself, I now have a perfectly stable system @4.2 ghz which also sleeps and resumes (another supposed problem with ud5 aswell). If you want to have a look at my bios settings to try them yourself PM me.
Bear in mind I'am using the 4ghz bundle with the patriot memory. Thanks.

Associate
re:

Hello and many thanks for the offer of the settings for this bundle.
I would like to have those settings to use if you would be so kind enough to send them to me. my email is [email protected] , sorry I have no idea on here how i pm you in these forums as I see no button anywhere:confused:
Cheers and thanks for the help.
mrix

Soldato
There's no point asking people for their OcUK BIOS profiles guys, as what works for one system more than likely won't work with another system..

Read a few i7 overclocking guides, and do it yourself, it isn't difficult to hit 4GHz, it's when you want to go beyond 4GHz that things get tricky!!

Caporegime
There's no point asking people for their OcUK BIOS profiles guys, as what works for one system more than likely won't work with another system..

Read a few i7 overclocking guides, and do it yourself, it isn't difficult to hit 4GHz, it's when you want to go beyond 4GHz that things get tricky!!
+1 you could have 5 identical systems sitting side by side and not one would oc on the same settings as another, best way i found was to read a few guides on how to start, always achieving a stable low overclock (3.0-3.2ghz) to start with, then use this as a stable base to work from.

Associate
re:

Surely overclockers themselfs use the same profile for their bundles? I would not of thought they overclock individually:confused:
Cheers
mrix
If someone here has totally same motherboard bundle hopefully it would be likely the overclocked settings could work? definitely worth a try?

Cheers
mrix

Soldato
The Ud5 problems of cold boot is all over the net you can read it on many forums. If i ever go back to i7 920 i would buy asus board not gigabyte well definetly not the Ud5.

Soldato
tbh mate, my Dad bought a 4GHz bundle, and the o/c settings they used was pretty basic imo.

There is a chance that someone elses settings could work on another system, but I personally think it's better to tweak your own rig and find the best stable settings you can using the lowest possible voltages.

Also, OcUK don't really like it when people share their BIOS settings with other folks who haven't bought one of these bundles, I've seen a few threads deleted because people have posted their BIOS settings used on their bundles, and it's quite right to imo, as they are charging for an overclocking service with these bundles, so it's wrong for people to come on and post up the settings that were used...

It's fair enough posting up settings that you've tweaked yourself and work for your system, and these settings could be used as a baseline for someone elses o/c profile, but it's always best to find out what YOUR chip likes by spending some time testing different voltages and settings.

The Ud5 problems of cold boot is all over the net you can read it on many forums. If i ever go back to i7 920 i would buy asus board not gigabyte well definetly not the Ud5.

Cold boot issues are not exclusive to the UD5 mate, it seems to be a problem with X58 chipset, as I've seen people with X58 boards from other manufacturers complaining of cold booting issues...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah not only will the bios and stable OC solve the issue, F9 bio's gives you the Dynamic Vcore feature which comes in very handy ;)

Indeed :

coolo.png

Associate
re:

Hi there I dont really wish to use other peoples settings to be honest but if overclockers could possibly send me a overclocked version of the f9 version that would sound just the job:)
Cheers
mrix

Associate
What is this new dynamic Vcore feature?

Look at TB's images. He is running at 4GHz on 1.072V. This is the trickery of the Dynamic VCore ;)

It literally lowers the power consumption and giving you better temperatures. Theoretically speaking, this will enable your CPU to operate cooler and giving you more headrooms for further overclocks. ;)

Hi there I dont really wish to use other peoples settings to be honest but if overclockers could possibly send me a overclocked version of the f9 version that would sound just the job:)
Cheers
mrix

They will not do this, because F9 bios are classified as "beta" bios.

Last edited:
Associate
I too purchased the UD5 OC Bundle, but tbh I have experienced very little boot problems. It has on a few time rebooted 3 times and then finally into windows, I just assumed this was part of this boards design.

On reading this post I have tried sleep as I previously havent really used it and guess what it didnt boot, In my panic i didnt look at the error code on the LED display, but all fans were spinning at 100%.

After powering the psu off and on again the system did the 3 boot thing. Im not sure if my system only does it when the psu get turned off as this is normmal left on.

Is this what you call cold boot? Powering on from the psu first?

Will investigate further but sleep definately does not work.

I have very limited BIOS experience but it looks like flashing to F9 Beta BIOS after saving my profiles to a USB and photos of the settings then manually putting them in manually is a goog start.

Whats the main tips for OC the i7 on this board?

Back
Top Bottom