• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Gigabyte Super OC GTX 480's - VERY LOW PRICES!**

Associate
Took the plunge and ordered a GTX 480 SOC arrives tomorow, and building my new system then aswell

will tell you guys how it goes along.

Soldato
no .. 80A is good

just makes situation more confusing

btw what resolution do you run your monitors at - i noticed that Gigabyte tested my card at 1680 res, but with lots of AA - I'm pretty certain I tried 1680 res - but I can't remember - when card goes back in machine tonight I'll test

I'd find it hard to believe the issue is only at high res's - I mean furmark at 1680 still massively stresses the card

competely flumoxed

Soldato
no .. 80A is good

just makes situation more confusing

btw what resolution do you run your monitors at - i noticed that Gigabyte tested my card at 1680 res, but with lots of AA - I'm pretty certain I tried 1680 res - but I can't remember - when card goes back in machine tonight I'll test

I'd find it hard to believe the issue is only at high res's - I mean furmark at 1680 still massively stresses the card

competely flumoxed

I run one at 1920x1080
But what confuses me the most is that my 8800GTX is running everything fine :(

Associate
Well my 480 soc is boxed and ready for rma to overclockers tomorrow. just but back in my trusty old gtx275 xxx run all tests and passed with flying colours, and quiet!!

Hope it's found faulty or i'm not going to be happy.

Associate
I ordered one of these yesterday. Got here in less than 24 hours, so props to OC for the speedy delivery.

I got it all plugged in and updated the drivers. The card seems fine. I tried Dragon Age and Metro 2033 and all seemed OK. There's a snow effect around some light sources in Metro, but I'm guessing this is normal for the game as I've noticed no other 'problems'.

The card is nice and quiet, with no noticeable increase in noise from my PC, and the hottest temperature I've seen while running Metro in 3D with everything on high (surprisingly smooth) is 73 degrees. Case is a Fractal Design R3 with an added side 140mm fan and another 140mm at the top.

One thing that I did notice, however. I was playing Dragon Age, and all was fine in the menus; the card was lovely and quiet, however as soon as I got in-game, I can hear a buzzing noise coming from the PC. It didn't do this with my old 768MB 460 in there, and I didn't notice it on Metro, which is peculiar. Anyone got any ideas about this?

Apart from that, it looks like I struck lucky with mine.

PSU is a 650w Antec TruePower New if anyone is interested.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just thought I'd add my experience of the 480 SOC. Got one last week on offer but have had massive problems with it. Artefacts in BFBC2, thousands of errors in OCCT and caused a system crash in Furmark. PSU is a Seasonic 700w so I'm pretty sure the card was at fault. Worked fine if the clocks were lowered slightly in afterburner but considering I paid for SOC clocks I wasn't prepared to do this so it went straight back.

Associate
NoDiggidy, there are a lot more 480s on the market so likelihood is there will be more on the net with problems, How ever the 570 is still good card. the 480 is just better value for money and more powerful than the 570. if you are really that worried you will receive a bad card get the 570 but you could still get a Bad 570 it really is a lottery. I personally could not be happier with my 480.

Associate
as a 480soc owner, i'd say the 570 is the safer bet if you want to spend a little bit extra.

But i got mine when they were £215 and couldn't justify spending any more on a gfx card for no more performance gain.

I did get some errors with that occt program but interestingly it seems more stable if i dont have afterburner running. Ingame i dont notice any artifacts and even heaven benchmark runs fine.

As long as you know you're buying a card that has been pushed to it's limits and don't expect total perfection i don't think you can beat the 480soc. Well that's why i bought it anyway and i dont regret my purchase :)

Back
Top Bottom