Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

5Js

5Js

Associate
Or you can set the vcore manually. I ran a series of stress tests progressively lowering the vcore until it failed then bumped it up one notch to remain stable.

I did the same and found my i5 6600k stable at 4.6GHz at 1.290V vcore, however, when I enabled XMP to get my RAM to run at 3000Mhz the temps jumped 10 degrees. When I selected "Relax OC" under Enhanced Memory Settings my temp went back down.

I still have not figured out how to implement an offset vcore on the gigabyte mobo. I have set vcore to NORMAL which allows me to adjust DVID but and negative offset fails. Even a slight -0.005 offset which makes no sense.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how to control fan speeds on this board? Nothing I change in the BIOS does anything... I only have a few options, Normal, Silent, Full Speed and Manual. But whichever I select, nothing happens. I do have a Phanteks Evolv with x2 3-pin fans plugged in to the PWM hub at the rear, but I also have a PWM 4-pin fan plugged directly into the mobo and it's also running at max speed. No idea what's going on!! :confused:

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how to control fan speeds on this board? Nothing I change in the BIOS does anything... I only have a few options, Normal, Silent, Full Speed and Manual. But whichever I select, nothing happens. I do have a Phanteks Evolv with x2 3-pin fans plugged in to the PWM hub at the rear, but I also have a PWM 4-pin fan plugged directly into the mobo and it's also running at max speed. No idea what's going on!! :confused:

You have to calibrate fans first before you can control them,

Soldato
I think either my motherboard or CPU (6700k) might be broken... I cannot run RAM in more than x1 DIMM no matter what I do. I have tried 4 different types of RAM at varying speeds, 2133, 2400, 3000 and 3200, and they all run perfectly with x1 stick, but the moment I add a second, I am getting an Error 55 code and it will not boot... it hangs before I have the option to even enter the BIOS. Doing a search, this seems to be a common problem with this board, and many people point towards it being a memory compatibility issue and it only supporting 2133 RAM, but I've tried a 2133 kit and no joy.

Any suggestions? I have the CPU under water so it's going to be a right pain to remove that, but I think I've exhausted all my options! :( :(

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried to reset CMOS completely? Not just set it to default.

Have you tried each slot with one stick? Are they all working with one?

Soldato
Have you tried to reset CMOS completely? Not just set it to default.

Have you tried each slot with one stick? Are they all working with one?

Yes, CMOS reset does nothing.

DIMMS 1 and 3 work, 2 and 4 do not (so that's the right two work, left two don't).

EDIT: When I put my dual kit in slots 1 and 3 it does actually boot, but that's obviously not the right way to do it, they should be in slots 1 and 2, but if I try that, I get the error 55.

It's been suggested to me that it could be bent pin on mobo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be a bent pin. What does memtest say ?

Well I have no reason to suspect the RAM is an issue, logically that seems impossible. In slots 1 and 3 it boots fine, no problems, and I've tried 4 types of RAM of varying speed, all good. Memtest will only confirm that won't it? I didn't think it would tell me if I have faulty DIMM as a result of a bent mobo pin? I can't even boot with RAM in slots 2 and/or 4. Clearly there is something wrong with those, I just don't know the cause. If it's a bent pin, I thought the only way I'd be able to tell is by physically looking?

Last edited:
Associate
That would be my guess at this point that it's damaged. If one dimm is working in one slot but not the other.

Not an expert though to say what is damaged pins or not.

Associate
Yes, CMOS reset does nothing.

DIMMS 1 and 3 work, 2 and 4 do not (so that's the right two work, left two don't).

EDIT: When I put my dual kit in slots 1 and 3 it does actually boot, but that's obviously not the right way to do it, they should be in slots 1 and 2, but if I try that, I get the error 55.

It's been suggested to me that it could be bent pin on mobo.

I did't undertand. DIMMs must be paired 1 with 3, 2 with 4. For example DIMMs on my mb are in slot 2-4 and they works correctly in dual channel mode. I don't know if it is correct to put DIMMS in slot 1 and 2. At least they don't work in dual channel mode.

Soldato
I did't undertand. DIMMs must be paired 1 with 3, 2 with 4. For example DIMMs on my mb are in slot 2-4 and they works correctly in dual channel mode. I don't know if it is correct to put DIMMS in slot 1 and 2. At least they don't work in dual channel mode.

It is not correct as far as I know to put DIMMS in slots 1 and 3, but they do work, and windows says I have all that RAM. They are probably only running single channel though. Obviously I know you are supposed to put DIMMS in 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 respectively, but slot 2 and 4 are not working.

I think you're confusing my terminology... I don't mean 3 as in the third one along from the left, I mean 3 as in it's CALLED number 3. The DIMM slots are numbered, from right to left as you look down, 4/2/3/1

Last edited:
Associate
When I was having error 55 issues with this board I came across a load of threads regarding the issue you're having - 9 times out of 10 it was bent pin or board damage from over-tightened CPU coolers.

Soldato
When I was having error 55 issues with this board I came across a load of threads regarding the issue you're having - 9 times out of 10 it was bent pin or board damage from over-tightened CPU coolers.

Yeah I'm hoping that's what it is, and that I can fix it. Just a pain I have to drain the loop to find out... hopefully will get round to doing that tmrw.

Associate
It is not correct as far as I know to put DIMMS in slots 1 and 3, but they do work, and windows says I have all that RAM. They are probably only running single channel though. Obviously I know you are supposed to put DIMMS in 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 respectively, but slot 2 and 4 are not working.

I think you're confusing my terminology... I don't mean 3 as in the third one along from the left, I mean 3 as in it's CALLED number 3. The DIMM slots are numbered, from right to left as you look down, 4/2/3/1

Ok, sorry. I have made reference to the numbering reported by CPUZ and other software and not the number printed on motherboard. In this case I put my modules on slot 1 and 2.
The problem maybe related to a connector issue. The same thing happened to me and I had to make some attempts before to have my DIMMs working.

Back
Top Bottom