Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Has anyone tried "performance upgrade"? It easily yields 4.7Ghz on 100%.

Mine won't post with performance upgrade at 100% :(

Been doing some digging on the Corsair forums. A few points of note:

1. Apparently Corsair LPX is not the best memory kit to go for on the Z170 - loads of issues - some people not even able to POST at 2133 Mhz on earlier Z170 BIOS versions. Get G.Skill instead!

2. VCCIO max should be 1.2V

3. VSA - max probably should be 1.25V. If you start seeing screen artifacts/tearing you have overcooked it (like I did)

So only hope is a new BIOS version that might improve speeds/stability.

Mine won't post with performance upgrade at 100% :(

Been doing some digging on the Corsair forums. A few points of note:

1. Apparently Corsair LPX is not the best memory kit to go for on the Z170 - loads of issues - some people not even able to POST at 2133 Mhz on earlier Z170 BIOS versions. Get G.Skill instead!

2. VCCIO max should be 1.2V

3. VSA - max probably should be 1.25V. If you start seeing screen artifacts/tearing you have overcooked it (like I did)

So only hope is a new BIOS version that might improve speeds/stability.

Yeah, I bought the Vengeance LPX 3200, it was listed as compatible for the 4GB DIMMs so I assumed the 8GB would be fine too.

It's unstable as **** at 1.2v and 2133MHz. I thought my USB stick was broken when trying to install windows, it was bringing up a load of errors, eventually got it installed.

Doing sfc /scannow said there was corrupt files it couldn't fix, Prime would error within a couple minutes.

Tried using XMP it was better but not perfect. Changed slots (changed from red to black), and 2133MHz was still the same.

I'm using XMP in black slots and it seems fine now though, no BSODs (I got one using stock on the red slots at 2133 saying memory management error). Prime (I know I shouldn't use it, but I figure it's fine as long as I keep an eye on volts/temps?) was fine for 30 minutes using 14GB RAM, RealBench is fine using 8GB. Windows is fine now (no corrupt files), and I haven't had any crashes or anything yet playing Overwatch or any other games. Even using LiveStreamer to watch a Twitch VOD (which just seems to keep the entire VOD in memory instead of deleting stuff you've already seen) was fine which got upto about 7GB usage by itself.

So yeah, I'd not recommend buying them, but mine seem OK atm.

Edit: Memtest also came out fine using XMP in the black slots.

Last edited:
Driver support is the same as all other boards.

It's Intel that supply the chipset driver, creative do the sound rather than realtek found more commonly on motherboards.

You can download all the newest driver revisions directly from Intel etc.

It's Intel that supply the chipset driver, creative do the sound rather than realtek found more commonly on motherboards.

Thanks mate. I have not upgraded for 4 years so out the game a bit.

And over clocking and bios look fairly straightforward?

I was planning on getting this and a 6700, what's the best memory to get ?

And any benefit to those mini ssd chips ?

Overclocking is simple either copy that video to get to 4.5Ghz or try some manual adjustments to go try and reach higher.

As for RAM well I use Corsair Vengeance PLX 3000MHz all the time, even with those other kits (the Kingston I've now sold and the Corsair Champion RAM isnt mine and not meant for this board).

The Gskill is my own for X99 and the Teamgroup RAM I only got as it was on special offer and it will soon end up in the members market.

m.2 SSD are not restricted by SATAIII bandwidth limits, having 32GB/S avalible to them the read+write speeds are way higher and the IOPS are way way higher again.

If you do decide to get a m.2 SSD make sure it is NVME and not the older AHCI type, and also if you are looking at Samsung m.2 SSDs, that is the faster one as there is like two for each capacity.

See this post - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29684715&postcount=2

Overclocking is simple either copy that video to get to 4.5Ghz or try some manual adjustments to go try and reach higher.

As for RAM well I use Corsair Vengeance PLX 3000MHz all the time, even with those other kits (the Kingston I've now sold and the Corsair Champion RAM isnt mine and not meant for this board).

The Gskill is my own for X99 and the Teamgroup RAM I only got as it was on special offer and it will soon end up in the members market.

m.2 SSD are not restricted by SATAIII bandwidth limits, having 32GB/S avalible to them the read+write speeds are way higher and the IOPS are way way higher again.

If you do decide to get a m.2 SSD make sure it is NVME and not the older AHCI type, and also if you are looking at Samsung m.2 SSDs, that is the faster one as there is like two for each capacity.

See this post - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29684715&postcount=2

Hi

thanks so much for the info, gosh things have changed a lot in 4 years (as expected)

so pretty sure so far i am going for

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
i7 6700k
Corsair Vengeance PLX 3000MHz

in regards to the M.2 SSD which is the fast / correct one to get in a 256 variant, as ocuk seem to have three listed ?

Stulid are you using the latest chipset drivers from the Intel site or the latest one from the Gigabyte Gaming 7 website?

I'm using chipset drivers downloaded from gigabyte.

There may very well be newer ones at Intel, I've not looked to see if there are.

There are but I haven't tried them!

Edit - I tell a lie. On the Intel site I can only find 10.1.1.4 whereas gigabyte has 11.0.0.1162.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom