Gin recommendations?

Soldato
Two new ones.

Boodles - Bog standard slurping gin. This was on special at Morrison's for £18 so I couldn't resist.
xKWoecQ.jpeg

Wild Island Botanic gin. This was a Father's Day present (I may have dropped hints).
JD6Jjrx.jpeg

You tried them yet?

Need a little stock up soon and am interested in the Wild Island gin.

I finished the bottle of Edinburgh cannonball navy strength recently and as you said a while back the navy strengths are indeed lacking in taste, It was ok but a bit strong, I had to add a lot more tonic to take the high alcohol taste away, will not bother again with navy strength gin.

I finished a bottle of Martin Millers recently which is very nice, one I would buy again.

Commissario
OP
Aye, Boodles is perfectly fine and drinkable. Nothing special but far superior to Gordons and Bombay Sapphire.

Wild Island is an interesting flavour and one that I probably won't buy again. It's not bad, it's just very different to anything else I have. I think 'herby' would be a good term.

Soldato
Aye, Boodles is perfectly fine and drinkable. Nothing special but far superior to Gordons and Bombay Sapphire.

Wild Island is an interesting flavour and one that I probably won't buy again. It's not bad, it's just very different to anything else I have. I think 'herby' would be a good term.

Thank's for the feedback.

Soldato
Picked up a few bottles along the way whilst touring the Outer Hebrides last week:
saRey2H.jpg

Harris is a great gin but I've tried that before so I knew what to expect.
We tried the Downpour in a pub whilst we were over there and I had to get a bottle - it's my new favourite gin. Citrusy with a bit of peppery/spice.
The Barra gin was bought blind having not tried it before but it was worth it. A nice gin and will be enjoyed but overshadowed a bit by the other 2.

Soldato
I've got a bottle of Harris still to open

I've still not opened my bottle of Harris either!

We went on a tour of the distillery whilst we were over there - it's primarily a whisky distillery but as it's relatively new they havn't got any whisky to sell yet (the oldest they have has only been in the cask for 4 years so not ready yet).
The label on the bottle (which is intended to represent the sea kelp in the bottle) has 50 subtly different background designs. Collect them all? :p

Soldato
We went on a tour of the distillery whilst we were over there - it's primarily a whisky distillery but as it's relatively new they havn't got any whisky to sell yet (the oldest they have has only been in the cask for 4 years so not ready yet).
The label on the bottle (which is intended to represent the sea kelp in the bottle) has 50 subtly different background designs. Collect them all? :p

Cool, looks a lovely place to visit.

I read about the whisky on their website, will keep an eye on when it's ready to sell.

Soldato
Couple recently purchased to try, had the Cotswold whisky, which is nice, so fancied trying their gin, the Mermaid gin is from Isle of White.

IMG-0905.jpg

Soldato
Recently added a bottle of roku to my collection which I haven't tried yet, and a bottle of martin miller's westbourne.
Tried the mm in a dry martini (15cl:7.5cl gin, glass, shaker went in the freezer, noilly prat in -1C fridge compartment. Shaken without ice and lemon peel garnish.)

It reminded me what a bad choice a dry martini is when you want a refreshing drink. Back to the GnTs I think.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Picked up a few bottles along the way whilst touring the Outer Hebrides last week:
saRey2H.jpg

Harris is a great gin but I've tried that before so I knew what to expect.
We tried the Downpour in a pub whilst we were over there and I had to get a bottle - it's my new favourite gin. Citrusy with a bit of peppery/spice.
The Barra gin was bought blind having not tried it before but it was worth it. A nice gin and will be enjoyed but overshadowed a bit by the other 2.

if you like your scottish gins, I have just Finished a Hills and Harbour from crafty distillery in Newton Stuart (I was in a great Whisky shop in Dumfries and another customer was buying it so it seemed rude not to ask about it, pleased I did!)
pine and seaweed as the name suggests are among the botanicals, goes lovely with a bit of pink grapefruit or a slice of mango

taB

taB

Associate
if you like your scottish gins, I have just Finished a Hills and Harbour from crafty distillery in Newton Stuart (I was in a great Whisky shop in Dumfries and another customer was buying it so it seemed rude not to ask about it, pleased I did!)
pine and seaweed as the name suggests are among the botanicals, goes lovely with a bit of pink grapefruit or a slice of mango

I'll be visiting them in the next couple of weeks as we have family nearby. It's a very nice place and a nice team. Been selling it for over year in my place.

Back
Top Bottom