Gin recommendations?

Soldato
Mine wasn't very well stuck on so needed the band, I quite liked the gin, good burst of citrus which I do like. However I didn't like the free tonic at all, I put some in with the lone wolf and felt it overpowered the gin a bit too much. However the bottles are 200ml when I usually have 150ml for a double, next time I will put a bit extra gin in it. The cucumber tonic was pleasant (think it was lamb & watt), it's strong flavour though so I thought it's a bit of waste to pair it with the more expensive gin. Would be really refreshing on a hot summers day though.

Commissario
OP
That's really strange - Did they send you the same tonic that I had because I found it didn't distract from the gin in the slightest which is totally the opposite to what you've said..

I didn't use the whole bottle, measured out 150ml.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Ordered and took delivery of four bottles of gin yesterday:
Roku
Caorunn
Sipsmith
Adnams

Along with 46 bottles of wine (18 vinho verde, 18 sauvignon blanc, 10 of The Cubist) and two whiskeys (JW black label and Jura 10)...

In my defense my wedding is next month :D

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered and took delivery of four bottles of gin yesterday:
Roku
Caorunn
Sipsmith
Adnams

Along with 46 bottles of wine (18 vinho verde, 18 sauvignon blanc, 10 of The Cubist) and two whiskeys (JW black label and Jura 10)...

In my defense my wedding is next month :D

What is everyone else going to drink though? :)

Soldato
After attending a gin festival, I fully intend in taking up gin drinking as a hobby :D

Notable ones which I tried at the festival were:
Firkin Gin Islay Cask - Had a nice peaty taste to it from the whisky cask I guess. Went well with ginger ale.
Bertha's Revenge Irish Milk Gin. Lovely and smooth
Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin which had an interesting peppery taste to it

Also enjoyed Opihr with tonic in Edinburgh recently.

What are everyone's 'go to' online vendors for gins? Are there any that offer good membership deals etc?

Permabanned
I dont find much difference between many gins when combined with a decent quantity of quality tonic (I like a big glass, lots of tonic and we use a huge hexagon ice cube), its only the flavoured ones that really stand out.

Soldato
I dont find much difference between many gins when combined with a decent quantity of quality tonic (I like a big glass, lots of tonic and we use a huge hexagon ice cube), its only the flavoured ones that really stand out.

As above less tonic is the key.

I find 50ml gin to 150ml tonic and a large ice cube good, after trying various gins, I can also tell a difference between them.

Commissario
OP
That’s the same proportions I use. How do you measure the gin to 50ml though? I had a little measure from Amazon but although it was supposed to be 50ml, it was only 43.

Now I measure by weight. 45g is near as damnit to 50ml as makes no difference. 150ml of tonic is easy as that’s the can size.

Soldato
Anybody tried Bobby's gin? We had some in Malta and it was lovely. Might have to grab a bottle. A bit like Ophir in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom