Glastonbury 2024

fez

fez

Caporegime
I do wish they would add timestamps for songs to all the highlights. Annoying having to scrub through sets to find the songs I actually know and care about.

Bloc Party looked good. Don't know if they haven't released much must in the past god knows how many years but they played a lot of their best songs.

Last edited:
Associate
Saw Orbital on the iplayer. They seem to mostly queue tracks from their laptops nowadays but overall still sounded like a fun set.
Having Tilda Swinton onstage as a hypnotherapist was all kinds of awesome :D

Soldato
I think there were two acts I enjoyed the rest were a yawn. That has to be the least interesting glasto I've ever seen. And Coldplay, again? Their last appearance was better and I still have the recording. This is what happens when politics starts running events turns out it not some male conspiracy or oppression against women that there are no female headliners in previous years it turns out its because they're not all that great.

Soldato
Highlights for me this weekend was Avril Lavigne, that brought back loads of memories from my teens, not sure why the BBC had to keep a camera on Anya Taylor-Joy and Cara throughout the set though.

Coldplay can't say I'm a huge fan of their music but that is how you do a headline show, seeing MJF on stage too was moving.

Don
It was, it might go back up. Their site is just terrible. I noticed Jessie Ware's set had vanished from the pop section today but luckily it was still in trending. Can't see the Gossip set anywhere though now.
Yeah it's awful. There's two different bits with different Glasto videos:

fez

fez

Caporegime
It was, it might go back up. Their site is just terrible.

It really is. They have made some vague attempt to modernise on the sports site over the euros by putting up portrait videos but you can't share them and its generally half assed. I understand the BBC have to focus on accessibility over everything else but there are so many QoL changes they need to make to the way they display content.

Soldato
Think I've watched everything I wanted to see now. Was impressed with Heilung. I thought it would just be gimmicky but I actually really enjoyed the music.

I've listened to 2 albums on Qobuz now following seeing them on Glasto, really good.

They have 2 gigs in the UK next year, am looking to go to one.

Associate
Still catching up on missed sets, so far I've seen:

Aurora
Avril Lavigne
Blondshell
Dua Lipa
Fontaines D.C.
Ghetts
Heilung
Idles
Kim Gordon
King Krule
London Grammar
Mannequin P*ssy
NewDad
Peggy Gou
Sleaford Mods
Soft Play
Squid
The Last Dinner Party

Highlights:
  • Soft Play: 'Punk's Dead' was a brilliant first song choice, the crowd were into that performance from the outset. Worked the crowd superbly, the interlude with Bob Vylan was a nice touch, as was the tribute song towards the end. I own all four Slaves albums but I wasn't familiar with any of their new material as Soft Play. I see their debut album, Heavy Jelly, releases on 19 July. Certain purchase.
  • Idles: Noisy buggers. Such a solid, heavy-hitting band all-round.
  • Heilung: Familiar with some of their material, excellent performance. Would have really benefitted from a later, more atmospheric time slot.
  • Fontaines D.C.: They are a class act.
Weakest:
  • Ghetts: Grime just doesn't translate to the big festival stage.
I only watched Avril Lavigne based on the feedback in this thread; she performed well and earned a great reception.

Last edited:
Associate
Still catching up on missed sets, so far I've seen:

Aurora
Avril Lavigne
Blondshell
Dua Lipa
Fontaines D.C.
Ghetts
Heilung
Idles
Kim Gordon
King Krule
London Grammar
Mannequin P*ssy
NewDad
Peggy Gou
Sleaford Mods
Soft Play
Squid
The Last Dinner Party

Highlights:
  • Soft Play: 'Punk's Dead' was a brilliant first song choice, the crowd were into that performance from the outset. Worked the crowd superbly, the interlude with Bob Vylan was a nice touch, as was the tribute song towards the end. I own all four Slaves albums but I wasn't familiar with any of their new material as Soft Play. I see their debut album, Heavy Jelly, releases on 19 July. Certain purchase.
  • Idles: Noisy buggers. Such a solid, heavy-hitting band all-round.
  • Heilung: Familiar with some of their material, excellent performance. Would have really benefitted from a later, more atmospheric time slot.
  • Fontaines D.C.: They are a class act.
Weakest:
  • Ghetts: Grime just doesn't translate to the big festival stage.
I only watched Avril Lavigne based on the feedback in this thread; she performed well and earned a great reception.

Sleaford Mods? what the hell... i thought they were a wind up \ parody band

Associate
They are rubbish - Small crowd as well.

My wife likes them for some reason.

whats the big deal with them? i remember watching a couple of music videos a few years ago.. it seems very 80s punk thing with a couple of guys looking like they are off their heads. after googling them they seem to of done really well for themselves.

Associate
whats the big deal with them? i remember watching a couple of music videos a few years ago.. it seems very 80s punk thing with a couple of guys looking like they are off their heads. after googling them they seem to of done really well for themselves.

Im not sure there is a big deal with them anymore is there ? They have always been hilariously bad in terms of musical ability with their music sounding like two stoners with no music theory or production knowledge stuck in a box room fiddling about with Fruity Loops for the first time (probably a very accurate description of how they came about tbh).

Think it's more about the lyrics and the message with them, from memory, it's why all the pretentious music journos were jizzing over them a few years back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom