Glastonbury 2024

Soldato
The National are absolutely incredible. Even more so when you consider that they'd all definitely be geography teachers if their music careers hadn't worked out

Soldato
I’ve been catching with some over the coverage on iPlayer and I’ll be totally honest, I’d have been very disappointed with the main stage line up if I had actually bought tickets.

I’ve not seen her mentioned yet, Avril Lavigne was great (#teenagecrush).

They had her out on the Other Stage on Sunday afternoon - what the hell were they thinking, it looked absolutely rammed on the telly shots. There wasn’t a person under 30 in the close up shots of the crowd and there were grown men riding each others shoulders like teenage girls, love it.

She put on a great show with all the ‘classics’ and none of the fluff. I’m pretty sure she was the only person on the line up who I would have made sure I’d seen without fail.

The BBC had a big article on her performance and they kindly reminded me her first done came out 22 years ago before Dua Lipa was even born and yup that makes me old!

Last edited:
Soldato
Being reported with photos of a big line of asylum seekers queuing at a ladder to climb the fence. (sorry people sneaking in without tickets aka a VISA)

I expect they will be treated well once inside and offered some glamping accommodation

these luvvies seem to love borders, until it's their own.
Apparently stages have been shut due to overcrowding, why don't they just build some more? #Glastonury's not full
Love a bit of non thinking false equivalence. Did the Mail tell you to say that or did you come up with it all by yourself?

That aside, I found this year’s festival pretty disjointed from home. A lot of big clashes and some really odd choices on the Pyramid stage. People like Janelle Monae and PJ Harvey were really let down by afternoon slots when they’d be better headlining smaller stages, and the likes of Avril Lavigne and Sugababes would have been better in their place.

Really uninspiring headliners too. I thought SZA was up against it but booking her on the Sunday was brutal. Should maybe have swapped her and Dua Lipa as reckon more people might have stayed on site for the latter.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In her defense she had throat surgery for dysphonia associated with Lyme disease a few years ago. Her voice was better in the past

If she can't sing maybe it's time to give it up? Like footballers do after major knee surgery etc.

"Look, I know he can't kick the ball, but in his defence he did have his leg amputated" wouldn't really fly!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Paul Heaton and Norman Cook back singing Happy hour was the best thing so far.

Coldplay were value as usual, everything I come across has been a turd.

Last edited:
Associate
If she can't sing maybe it's time to give it up? Like footballers do after major knee surgery etc.

"Look, I know he can't kick the ball, but in his defence he did have his leg amputated" wouldn't really fly!
I totally agree, but very often singers ( as do footballers) go on longer than they should. It’s not uncommon to see the legends slot at Glastonbury make me cringe compared to at their height. I thought Macca back in 2022 was decidedly ropey voice wise. Maybe we forgive those we like a bit more.

I’m not some massive shania fan or anything, but I had watched the recent documentary about her also. Pretty crappy early life she had, was quite interesting. I can see why she might want validation for longer than most artists

Caporegime
OP
I totally agree, but very often singers ( as do footballers) go on longer than they should. It’s not uncommon to see the legends slot at Glastonbury make me cringe compared to at their height. I thought Macca back in 2022 was decidedly ropey voice wise. Maybe we forgive those we like a bit more.
He was.

You can literally compare his 2004 set where I saw him first, against his 2022 set and the decline is huge.

Caporegime
OP
So woke up at 6 a.m. this morning to pack up the tent and got back to the car about 8. Sat in the car park for half an hour but once we were away the journey was pretty smooth home.

The bands I managed to see (partially or full), were:

Thursday
Lambrini Girls
Showhawk Duo
Some random DJs late on Thursday night at Shangri La

Friday
Barry Can't Swim
Confidence Man
Dexys
LCD Sound system
Jaime xx

Saturday
Kneecap
High Vis
Cyndi Lauper
Last Dinner Party
Bloc Party
Lil Simz (happened to be sitting there)
Sleaford Mods
Disclosure

Sunday
New Dad
Mdou Moctar
Baxter Drury
Romy
The National

Bear in mind some of these choices are dictated by what my wife wants to see and also where we are at any particular time. It can take 30 mins to walk between stages and sometimes it's too much hassle.

Highlights for me were Confidence Man, LCD Sound System, Jamie XX, Bloc Party, Disclosure, Romy and The National.

According to my Samsung health app I walked 78 miles between Wednesday and Monday. My friends dispute this as, compared to their apple watches, I did about 25% more

I put this down to leg/stride length
I am 5' 10" and they are 6ft but despite being within 2" in height, I buy 'short' leg trousers/jeans and they take long so probably do bugger strides or something?

Other thoughts? The capacity increased by 10k in 2022 and another 7k this year and it's noticeably overcrowded now. There were a lot more crowd control people and unfortunately a lot more one way systems and it all felt a bit restrictive. Not like the Glastonbury of 'old'

That was compounded by putting acts on the wrong stages. Barry Can't Swim shouldn't have been at the park, Sugarbabes should have been on the other stage etc.

I just checked and capacity has actually increased by 30% since 2011 and the ticket price has gone up 136% in that same time.
Not to mention parking has also doubled in price.

They need to put the attendance back to 2019 levels at the very least IMO.

So yeah, a good time was had but it wasn't the best one I've been to by a long shot.

Last edited:
Associate
Really poor line up this year. I've never been this unengaged in a glasto weekend. Watched easily less than an hour's worth on TV but will try catch national and ocean colour scene on YT.

Not sure what's going on with the booking side of things but I've always thought of Glasto as a bit of something for everyone festival. Come out liking bands you'd never heard of and see some of the all time greats from times gone. Superbowl half time shows used to be on a one for you, one for them schedule but in recent years merged into generic meh.

Cold play, dua lips and whatever SZA are marks this as definitely a year for them. Hopefully it swings back round next year.

Soldato
Biggest festival I’ve been to is c20,000 and I’ve wanted to go to Glastonbury my whole life, but the reports of overcrowding this year have made me doubt whether I’ll try for tickets next year. Even if they resolve the booking and scheduling issues, being herded around the site is not my idea of a good time.

Associate
What was the Coldplay & MJ Fox thing? Tried to find it on iplayer but couldn't seem to find the part of the performance, any hints as to when it was?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom