Glory, glory Leeds United for me please.

Associate
If you are only 'allowed' to support your local club then what happens if you have to relocate due to work? The way I see it is you have 2 options:

1) You take the job and have to start supporting the new local club. In this case your support for the original club is questionable.

2) You turn down the new job because you can't possibly support a club that isn't local and you can't change who you support. I wonder if anyone has ever actually done this?!?

So to summarise:

Chill out and let everyone support who they want to support regardless of where they are from.

Soldato
For those whom surport man utd , liverpool etc that an't local, can you tell me why you surport them?

cos the 1337 init :rolleyes:

Support who ever you like I dont care. But when Manchester United are mid table mediocrity in 10 years time I wonder if there will be so many avid fans? ;)

Your football club is for life, like marriage, kids, you have to take what ever is thrown at you good or bad. I have no time for people who swap loyalty to whoever happens to be in vogue at the time. But its the world we live in today where loyalty, sticking with it, and perseverence counts for nothing.

PS im not a Man U basher I actually think they are good and good to watch, I just dont support them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never understood how anyone can choose who to support anyway, your team chooses you.

I don't know about anyone else but for me it was always about the players I liked when I was younger. Ryan Giggs was one of the first players I idolised and had to see play as much as I could and it all came from there (it also helped that both my father and grandfather supported the club)

Permabanned
Support who ever you like I dont care. But when Manchester United are mid table mediocrity in 10 years time I wonder if there will be so many avid fans? ;)

I did support them in mid table mediocrity thanks very much :)

People are quick to forget that I'm older than a lot of posters on here and remember the days of Whiteside/Moses/Robson when all we had to hope for was the FA cup.

Soldato
This makes no sense to me, it startles me that people care about this non-issue. The 'die hard fans' are way too pretentious, why do they think they matter more!?

Soldato
I've never understood how anyone can choose who to support anyway, your team chooses you.

I chose to support Everton because when I was 6 I wanted to start playing football and blue just happened to be my favourite colour so that's what colour top I bought.

I've been stuck with them ever since *sigh*.

Associate
Incidentally, this was brilliant. I know I never really post here, but I lurk and read the football threads each week, and have been doing so long enough to find this thread superb. Well done all :)

For what it's worth, my mum and my uncle fought for my loyalties as a very young kid between Man Utd and Forest, and my mum won in the end. I still keep an eye on Forest, but I can't imagine supporting anyone but Utd now. No, I'm not from Manchester - though yes, I have been to Old Trafford many times :)

I don't really care who people support, to be fair, but it clearly makes for good thread material once in a while :p

Man of Honour

I'd have thought that depends on your environment? My family isn't all that interested in football on the side of either of my parents so I didn't have much choice other than to pick a team and being from Edinburgh I had Hearts or Hibs to choose from, Hibs just felt wrong (I suspect they'll always be wrong 'uns) so maybe the team did pick me without me realising. :)

Soldato
I was going to post in here seriously, until I realised they way it was going, but I've always been a firm believer that you should support the club that you grew up around, or whichever feels most "local" to you.

I realise there are plenty of people with pretty random supports, and that's fair enough, but it's always been part and parcel of identity to me. I'm a Londoner, thus I like Arsenal. I follow Hull City because I "get" the City of Hull nowadays. Any kids I ever have (god help them), would support a team near where I raise them.

Horses for courses though I 'spose. :)

Caporegime
I was going to post in here seriously, until I realised they way it was going, but I've always been a firm believer that you should support the club that you grew up around, or whichever feels most "local" to you.

I realise there are plenty of people with pretty random supports, and that's fair enough, but it's always been part and parcel of identity to me. I'm a Londoner, thus I like Arsenal. I follow Hull City because I "get" the City of Hull nowadays. Any kids I ever have (god help them), would support a team near where I raise them.

Horses for courses though I 'spose. :)

I understand your point, but I was brought up by a Man Utd supporting dad in a Glasgow Rangers supporting family (majority of my family are Scottish, including my mother), but at such a young age Manchester could have been closer to where I lived than Middlesbrough was. Geography wasn't a strong point at 4 years old, so it's a bit of a none-starter in that respect.

As much as I dislike most Middlesbrough fans, I do follow their results week in and know more about their squad than most people I know who 'follow' them because I have 2 friends who are absolutely crazy about them and we talk all the time (as a result, they follow Man Utd and hope we do well).

I do, as many of you know, get to Old Trafford, although financially this season I've only been able to make one game which sucked and have actually turned down a ridiculous number of matches, including yesterdays.

Football is so much more a World game now than it was years ago, teams are reachable in so many ways and it's easy to feel a part of that club from anywhere due to TV, Club channels, websites, sports news being so readily available. In the past being local really was required to truly be a part of the identity of a club, picking up club programs and learning new stuff every home game, but these things have been voided by the access to watching your team live on TV, following post match comments through websites (or if you're an Arenal, Celtic, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool fan, through their TV channel), on Match of the Day, watching on the Internet and of course, conversing with other fans on Sports forums such as this one.

Football is no longer a local sport and some people don't want to acknowledge this.

Soldato
I don't know about anyone else but for me it was always about the players I liked when I was younger. Ryan Giggs was one of the first players I idolised and had to see play as much as I could and it all came from there (it also helped that both my father and grandfather supported the club)

Yep same as me.

When I was a kid and watching football I chose the team that for me played the nicest football - Giggsy was one of those players I absolutely adored as a kid and he's one of the reasons I started supporting Man Utd.

I started supporting United in around 1989 I guess as I've still got some memorabilia from back then :)

I always hear how I was "supposed" to be a Liverpool fan when I was younger but chose United because I thought they played better football and watching United made me happy as a little kid. My brother was pretty peeved since he's a life long 'pool supporter.

United were hardly the world beaters we are now back then, Liverpool were by far one of the most dominant sides when I was born.

Oh and by the by, I've also grown up supporting my "local" side Swansea City and have been a life long fan of them also :)

edit: oh and I realise Giggs wasn't with us in '89.

Soldato
I did support them in mid table mediocrity thanks very much :)

People are quick to forget that I'm older than a lot of posters on here and remember the days of Whiteside/Moses/Robson when all we had to hope for was the FA cup.

Thats strange. Im sure if you got all those that said they used to go in the 80's there wouldnt be enough to fill Manchester. Man U where my team I followed as a kid in the 80's until a mate dragged me to a Bradford City game then I've never looked forward since. I look upon it as a marriage: I moan about it but love them really.

Football is no longer a local sport and some people don't want to acknowledge this.

Football is grassroots and always will be, without the bottom the top will fall eventually. So i'd pretty much say that football is a very local sport. ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Thats strange. Im sure if you got all those that said they used to go in the 80's there wouldnt be enough to fill Manchester. Man U where my team I followed as a kid in the 80's until a mate dragged me to a Bradford City game then I've never looked forward since. I look upon it as a marriage: I moan about it but love them really.

Why such hatred towards MU then? every post you make in here is having some kind of dig.

Back
Top Bottom