Golf Thread

Associate
I can't stand Europe, don't consider myself European in the slightest and would happily live in America - but as soon as the Ryder cup starts my anti Europe goes out the window!

I worry this is Harding in America's favour :(

Soldato
If I understand this correctly, with Poulter winning that point and 3 other matches now 'dormie', Europe has effectively won as they guarantee at least 1 and a half more points on top of the 13 and a half we have now?

Edit... BBC saying Garcia and Molinari dormie but Ryder Cup website also says says Stenson is...

Edit 2... Looks as if Molinari just brought it to a conclusion anyway :p

Caporegime
Home and away Ryder Cups are becoming pretty binary in terms of predicting who will win.

Is it just down to the crowds and what type of courses people are used to playing?

They should start rotating the competition courses internationally to take the 'who plays on what tour' factor out of the equation. Commercially that might not make sense (Ryder cup in America = kerching for the US golf brands) and the fans may not like it, but I think they should do something about the home / away factor as it seems to be massive now.

Why not tour Japan, Australia, South Africa etc.

Soldato
Any advice for someone going to their first pro tournament (as a spectator obviously :p)? I've got tickets to the British Masters this Thursday thanks to a free giveaway Sky did last year. It doesn't look like they've released the tee times yet, but based on last year I'd expect players to tee off just before 7:30. What sort of time would people recommend I get there to get a decent view of the players teeing off at the first?

I'm guessing trainers are a good choice of footwear seeing as there is going to be a lot of walking? Are bags allowed? I was thinking of taking a packed lunch to avoid what will probably be the very overpriced food they serve there.

Soldato
First time I went to the Open was in 2007, it was howling wind and rain. Not a nice experience. Good waterproof walking boots, decent coat and wind proof top. Don’t recall the food or drink being too expensive. Use park and ride if driving, it’s quick and easy.

Next time I went in 2013 I had come 2nd in a MasterCard comp and had full MasterCard hospitality, free bar/drinks (Moët, single malt, beers etc, you name it), 5 course meal, entry to the sponsors pavilion on 17th, meet and greet with players (McDowell and Poulter pulling pints in the lounge after their rounds). It was baking hot in Muirfield. Clothing and prices didn’t really matter! :D

Back
Top Bottom