Golf Thread

Associate
Would like to get some feedback. Played my first competition yesterday as a new member of my local club. Went up to the bar opposite 18th had a drink and my wife phoned and said she was having labour pains (4 weeks before date). I panick and rush home.

Foolishly,In my panic I left my clubs by the clubhouse where everyone gathers and has a drink. I realised this morning and rushed up to find my bag had been put in the mens locker room.

However, my bag had been completely rifled through. All balls gone, yes understandable. However my new putter and 3 iron have gone and my new cobra driver now has all new sky marks as if someone had gone to town on it :(

I totally get it’s my fault. But do you think I should complain to the club?
Absolutely, in my opinion.

Yeah, you made a mistake in leaving them due to your understandable panic, but there's no need for people to be dicks and steal/vandalise your equipment. They might even have CCTV around.

kai

kai

Soldato
Absolutely, in my opinion.

Yeah, you made a mistake in leaving them due to your understandable panic, but there's no need for people to be dicks and steal/vandalise your equipment. They might even have CCTV around.

Spoke to the club secretary. Unfortunately, there are are no CCTV cameras. He apologized, but there was not much he could offer or do.

I did thankfully find my Odyssey putter slung by a tree near the 18th today while playing the course. So i was super happy about that. Stupid me, three boxes of TP5s gone :(, a full dozen tray of new Calway ERC Soft. So around £65-70 quid of balls a 3 iron but i was most upset the scratches on my new Cobra :(

Lesson learnt.

I am however frustrated and the lack of respect for my clubs, what would have been club members yesterday drinking on the terrace. Most had a pint in their hand at tee off time 10:00 :(

Associate
Put my first card into EG yesterday after joining iGolf. All the local clubs I like are full for new members but I know people at most so I can play with them on members guest rate. Had a few pars but a nightmare round with a few lost balls ruining holes. They just disappeared at times into not very tall rough. Lost a ball on the 18th that was clean down middle of the fairway. Think I over carried and hit a downslope and it shot off as caught the 3 wood really well. Should have used the 5. None of the group expected to have a problem finding it but it was nowhere to be seen. Think I need to play safer rather than hitting like i know I can.

at least I am 1 card closer to a handicap.

Soldato
Put my first card into EG yesterday after joining iGolf. All the local clubs I like are full for new members but I know people at most so I can play with them on members guest rate. Had a few pars but a nightmare round with a few lost balls ruining holes. They just disappeared at times into not very tall rough. Lost a ball on the 18th that was clean down middle of the fairway. Think I over carried and hit a downslope and it shot off as caught the 3 wood really well. Should have used the 5. None of the group expected to have a problem finding it but it was nowhere to be seen. Think I need to play safer rather than hitting like i know I can.

at least I am 1 card closer to a handicap.

I completely forgot that you can now pay £40 a year for an official handicap. I'm going to sign up to that right away.

I can't justify a membership at present due to limited playing time but it would be great to have an official handicap for the few times a year when I join in the odd society away day.

Soldato
Spoke to the club secretary. Unfortunately, there are are no CCTV cameras. He apologized, but there was not much he could offer or do.

I did thankfully find my Odyssey putter slung by a tree near the 18th today while playing the course. So i was super happy about that. Stupid me, three boxes of TP5s gone :(, a full dozen tray of new Calway ERC Soft. So around £65-70 quid of balls a 3 iron but i was most upset the scratches on my new Cobra :(

Lesson learnt.

I am however frustrated and the lack of respect for my clubs, what would have been club members yesterday drinking on the terrace. Most had a pint in their hand at tee off time 10:00 :(

That's horrendous.... I feel for you.

That's shockingly poor attitude from the club. Despite the situation you were in needing to leave, items have been stolen. I'd have half a mind to report it to the police. I know you probably don't want to being a new member etc but that's disgusting.

If it's a private club, I'd be seriously considering whether or not i'd want to continue my membership, new member or not. Golf club "politics" can be difficult at the best of times, but I'd seriously consider reporting it to the police and asking the committee/secretary to take theft a little more seriously than just apologising.

Rarely do I bother with much in life, but that's just scum of the earth nicking stuff out of someones golf bag....They are you "fellow" club members....

Soldato

Lesson learnt.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour of a golf club and its members. Complete lack of respect for others and their belongings.

And to say you found your putter thrown in the trees by the 18th proves this.

It's not a club i'd want to be a part of personally. I'd also complain to the members committee.

Associate
Spoke with dealer today about ordering my new clubs I was fitted for a few weeks ago. Shafts in stock for mid September. GolfPride TV 360 grips in white/black are out of stock until 2023. Guess I need to pick a different grip combo. I’m +3 wraps so not quite midsized which I believe have better stock options.

Anyone have suggestions on a grip similar to the TV 360? I’m waiting to hear back from Silvermere on what they would suggest.

Soldato
Spoke with dealer today about ordering my new clubs I was fitted for a few weeks ago. Shafts in stock for mid September. GolfPride TV 360 grips in white/black are out of stock until 2023. Guess I need to pick a different grip combo. I’m +3 wraps so not quite midsized which I believe have better stock options.

Anyone have suggestions on a grip similar to the TV 360? I’m waiting to hear back from Silvermere on what they would suggest.

3 wraps on a standard? Surely Midsize must come up about the same size as standard plus 3

Associate
It was close. They do offer 4 wraps before upsize so I could maybe try a midsize grip but my driver and 58* have been made with 3 wraps keep them the same for now.

With so little experience myself I’ve had to put a lot of trust in what the pro said and suggested I get.

Soldato
So I'm tempted to upgrade my i25s which have served me well.

I know there is a long lead time of new clubs so I've time to decide. But what should I try?

I'm a 10.7 handicap. I love the thin top line of my i25s and hate chunky clubs.
I've looked at several irons which I've been tempted with but wanted views from others on here.

So far I'm looking at:
Taylormade P790
Taylormade P770
Titleist T200 & T100 (not the S)
Ping i210
The Ping i500 was also on my list but it appears they're no longer being made.

I also love the look of the i59 but price wise they're way out of my league and TBH probably way beyond my skill set.

Out of the above I've only hit the i210. With a 7 iron I was averaging 167 yards and a dispersion of zero. So obviously these appeal but the fact they're 3 years old already makes me question if they're the right choice.

any advise would be appreciated

Associate
No harm adding srixon/mizuno to that shortlist, great clubs. Also consider a combo set as most manufacturers offerings blend well e.g you could go 4-6 iron in the zx5 for better forgiveness and launch and then 7-pw i.e. the scoring irons with zx7 for better feel and workability

Soldato
No harm adding srixon/mizuno to that shortlist, great clubs. Also consider a combo set as most manufacturers offerings blend well e.g you could go 4-6 iron in the zx5 for better forgiveness and launch and then 7-pw i.e. the scoring irons with zx7 for better feel and workability

That's not a bad idea but my longest iron is a 5.
I use a 3 and 4 hybrid as my gaps from driver to iron.

Soldato
So I'm tempted to upgrade my i25s which have served me well.

I know there is a long lead time of new clubs so I've time to decide. But what should I try?

I'm a 10.7 handicap. I love the thin top line of my i25s and hate chunky clubs.
I've looked at several irons which I've been tempted with but wanted views from others on here.

So far I'm looking at:
Taylormade P790
Taylormade P770
Titleist T200 & T100 (not the S)
Ping i210
The Ping i500 was also on my list but it appears they're no longer being made.

I also love the look of the i59 but price wise they're way out of my league and TBH probably way beyond my skill set.

Out of the above I've only hit the i210. With a 7 iron I was averaging 167 yards and a dispersion of zero. So obviously these appeal but the fact they're 3 years old already makes me question if they're the right choice.

any advise would be appreciated

I've got i210's on order - happy to wait for them. No obvious replacements due any time soon according to Ping Rep. I59 look lovely but way too expensive. If anything an i500 replacement would come before the i210's.

Also just gone 5-pw & UW - plus 2 vokeys (54/58). I already have G425 Driver ,3 wood, 19 degree hybrid (cobra) - Got to then space something between Hybrid and 5 iron I suspect but that will be next year once I get irons and get some proper solid distances dialled in.

P790's new look nice as well.

Titlest T100/200 look excellent and the underrated Cobra MIM irons as well.

Don't count out Srixon ZX5/7 as well.

Also can't go wrong with Mizuno/Callaway etc

So what i'm saying - Anything goes....:cry::cry:

Hardly a "bad" set out there these days - looks is massive as most of the irons play similar distances. Sometimes just the feel and the looks is the main thing to consider.

I was fitted for a combo set of Apex Callaways, but in the end, went back to Ping as my old G10's have been bullet proof but I started at 18 handicapp with them and now down to 8.9 and felt I needed to bring my ball flight down a bit as the G10's go SOOOO high it's unreal now.

Soldato
Managed to shoot 78 today around Heaton Park. I'd never broken 90 prior to today.

It was my 2nd card for handicap purposes so it will be interesting to see what handicap I end up with.

I'm eager to get back out there again to see if I can replicate my score. I don't feel like my game was drastically different from previous rounds in the 90s. There were just less 3 putts and wayward drives.

Associate
Put my 2nd card in for handicap this week. Shot a 108 which is an improvement on the 118 the week before. Lost 7 balls to a slice and bad rough with 2 landing near a railway line. I could see them but not going anywhere near that for a £1.50 ball.

Using the Golf England app has made it easy but the guys I played with weren’t happy it defaulted me to a 54 handicap. Got 61 strokes last round and netted 61 points in our group but thankfully no prizes and was only for fun. Waiting to see what my actual handicap is. Plenty of work to do but enjoying being out.

Associate
Would like to get some feedback. Played my first competition yesterday as a new member of my local club. Went up to the bar opposite 18th had a drink and my wife phoned and said she was having labour pains (4 weeks before date). I panick and rush home.

Foolishly,In my panic I left my clubs by the clubhouse where everyone gathers and has a drink. I realised this morning and rushed up to find my bag had been put in the mens locker room.

However, my bag had been completely rifled through. All balls gone, yes understandable. However my new putter and 3 iron have gone and my new cobra driver now has all new sky marks as if someone had gone to town on it :(

I totally get it’s my fault. But do you think I should complain to the club?

100% complain, I wouldn't be very happy at all if this happened, even though leaving the clubs was your fault. The club need to have a good long hard look who could be responsible for this and eject them from the club if they are a member, but as you say may be hard with no CCTV or witnesses.

I wonder if the clubs had been left out all night though and a trespasser has done the damage/theft - where I play once it starts to get very late in the day and most golfers have gone, especially in the quieter weekdays, it is not uncommon to see trespassing onto the course.

Underboss
Grip pressure - my brain clicked last week, I've been trying to choke the sodding grip and my games has been shocking since. Went to next to no grip pressure last weekend and shot +9 which is the best I've played in months.

Short game is good at the moment but I have periods where I can make a 280yd drive then take 5 shots to sink the ball, my blow up holes are getting silly now - ball goes, head goes and then score goes!

HC up to 8.9 from 6.7, seems WGH is helping me now.

Soldato
WHS is easy to get upset about but just needs some critical thinking. Sunday I got 38 pts so naturally expected my handicap to fall but instead it went up by 0.3! But when I looked back the card that now no longer counted had been a 41 pt game so hence why I went up by 0.3.

Back
Top Bottom