Golf Thread

Soldato
Managed to wangle my way onto a PING demo fitting day for irons and a driver today at 14:40.

Be good to see what I should be using shaft wise, could be expensive today.

nice one - enjoy... Like I say - waiting 3 months now for i210 irons - itching to get a hit of G425 max driver as well. Got the 3 wood G425 - love it.

kai

kai

Soldato
for me this "forgiving" area of golf club is a bit black and white. Questions I would as are: do you understand your club face/feel at impact? Do you understand the feel you have through your swing? If the answers to both of these are no then personally, no club will help currently. You're better buying a nice second hand set and seeing how "you" feel using them.

once you have a feel of your swing, set up etc then go and see your pro for a fitting or even a lesson. only then will you know what you need

I actually ended up purchasing a set of Mizuno JPX EZ Forged Irons (2017 model) from Ebay. Although second hand, they had not been used. The 4 iron, still had the original wrapping on.

With them being player improvement irons, the distances are crazy. Last night - Par 3 - 188 Yards, elevated tee position i ended up over hitting to the back with an 8 iron.

I actually had a lesson on Tuesday this week with a European Tour - PGA Pro. I spent close to 1hr duffing a 7 iron down the fairway after him changing my swing path. Although the fundamentals are there he proposed i was very "handsy" using my wrists a lot during the shot.

He has altered my swing a fair bit. He has got me trying to feel like i am swinging the golf club around my body as low as my bum/ankles, relying more on my torso to do the work. It's incredibly strange and unorthodox feeling.

After the lesson, i went out and shot 87 (+16). I think i just need to get over, it's going take time before coming down again.

Last edited:
Underboss
nice one - enjoy... Like I say - waiting 3 months now for i210 irons - itching to get a hit of G425 max driver as well. Got the 3 wood G425 - love it.

Yup, think I prefer the look of Blueprints but not sure with my current swing if they will do more harm than good - the G425 does look nice!

Not sure why wife quiet appreciates how much this could cost "treat yourself" ha!

Soldato
Yup, think I prefer the look of Blueprints but not sure with my current swing if they will do more harm than good - the G425 does look nice!

Not sure why wife quiet appreciates how much this could cost "treat yourself" ha!

Both my local pro's play combo sets, i210 3-6, then blueprints 7 to pw. They look nice but are not the most forgiving!

i59 looks lovely mix of the two... no launch date yet

Underboss
some gratuitous equipment pictures from your demo please!

Was a bit pants really, the PING guy didn't have much space so didn't grab any pics.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Adilla Rogue 130 X Flex
Ping i210, Green 2* upright, 1/2 inch longer, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 3 105 X Flex (Jan 2022)!!!! :eek:

Soldato
I guess it depends how "independent" they are. Some places like to just push one or two brands as they tend to make more money on certain brands. If they are totally independent, I would go with an idea of what you like the look of and ask to try them. Be aware however, lead times for custom fitted clubs are mental - like 3-4 months in most cases.. Stock shortages etc.

Been waiting since 18th May for my i210's !!

I believe them to be independent and also offer a same day build process so you can walk away with the clubs. I'll enquire a bit more.

I've heard of the current wait times on new clubs.
The i210s are what I'm looking at or the new Titleist T100. Currently gaming Ping i25s which are still working well I suppose I just fancy some new tech.

Soldato
I actually ended up purchasing a set of Mizuno JPX EZ Forged Irons (2017 model) from Ebay. Although second hand, they had not been used. The 4 iron, still had the original wrapping on.

With them being player improvement irons, the distances are crazy. Last night - Par 3 - 188 Yards, elevated tee position i ended up over hitting to the back with an 8 iron.

I actually had a lesson on Tuesday this week with a European Tour - PGA Pro. I spent close to 1hr duffing a 7 iron down the fairway after him changing my swing path. Although the fundamentals are there he proposed i was very "handsy" using my wrists a lot during the shot.

He has altered my swing a fair bit. He has got me trying to feel like i am swinging the golf club around my body as low as my bum/ankles, relying more on my torso to do the work. It's incredibly strange and unorthodox feeling.

After the lesson, i went out and shot 87 (+16). I think i just need to get over, it's going take time before coming down again.

Brilliant. Perfect for you

Once you get used to your new swing it sounds like you'll be single figures in no time.

Great find on the Mizunos

Soldato
I believe them to be independent and also offer a same day build process so you can walk away with the clubs. I'll enquire a bit more.

I've heard of the current wait times on new clubs.
The i210s are what I'm looking at or the new Titleist T100. Currently gaming Ping i25s which are still working well I suppose I just fancy some new tech.

I'd be amazed if they can supply same day.... Grips/shafts are brutally hard to come by at the moment. If Ping UK can't supply me inside 3 months, not sure how a local independent place could do. Might have heads etc instock but shafts and grips are super hard to find currently. Anything outside of stock standard anyway.

Associate
Not long started playing golf and needed a new set of irons so got fitted today, and ended up with the new Cobra Radspeed irons. Guy in the shop said they reckon 5-6 weeks until they appear with other brands taking even longer.

Soldato
nice. never played that. one for the bucket list.

me and 7 others are off to Celtic Manor next week.
2 nights Dinner bed and breakfast + all 3 courses. £274.

Played the Roman Road and 2010 before. Looking forward to the Montgomery this time too. Weather looks like it's going to be perfect. Just hope the golf matches

Underboss
My dad got a HIO today, first I've ever seen IRL and his second in 50 years of playing.

What a momentous shot, saw it all the way, called it and then heard it tap the pin and drop. We'd also just been called through by a 4 ball so they also saw it.

Bloody amazing.

I played **** from then on haha! So happy and yet so jealous.

Soldato
My dad got a HIO today, first I've ever seen IRL and his second in 50 years of playing.

What a momentous shot, saw it all the way, called it and then heard it tap the pin and drop. We'd also just been called through by a 4 ball so they also saw it.

Bloody amazing.

I played **** from then on haha! So happy and yet so jealous.

awesome - congrats to him.

Had one myself - 1st hole Seafield, never saw it go in as it's up hill.

Associate
Just broke 80 for the first time, carded a 79, but this was with a 7 on the 18th (Par 3 - stuffed the tee shot into the ravine, it's an all carry hole with no forgiveness lol), then with the pressure hit provisional ball left of green, so a disaster hole, but chuffed I've broke 80, mission now is do it consistently.

Back
Top Bottom