Golf Thread

Soldato
I play once a week most of the time and have a dry and wet pair, the wet being a set of cheap slazengers that split after a year last Saturday.

I brought the above mostly because they look slick as hell and I've never tried BOAs before. Just hoping the mechanism can hold up against all the mud and sand...
The BOA on my cycling shoes was amazing - grit/wet/sleet/water etc - bombproof.

Soldato
Speaking of summer shoes....:cool::cool:

Will be worn on "select" occasions..... Wanted a smarter pair of shoes as my other two pairs are more trainer/casual golf shoes.

Is that for the evening dinner party in the clubhouse or the actual course?
Completely unnecessary, over the top and garish. In fact I suggest nobody buys them...

Where did you get them? Asking for a friend.

Associate
Wow, those shoes visually epitomize everything that's wrong with the game. Do you wear these when you fend of the peasant visitors that dare pay the deliberately overpriced green fees and probably mark their ball with one of those plastic counters? Disgusting!

I, like @jaybee also have a friend who wants to know where to get these.

Last edited:
Soldato
My locals put visitor green fees up by £15. That's now up to £45 in the winter for 18...

Anyone else find that a bit excessive? The course is pretty well maintained all year round, I have to give them that, but it's not tour level or anything and they regularly but temps up and refuse to lower the fees.

£45 for winter... no chance i'd be paying that.

Winter time if I was going somewhere - I'd expect £20/25 max if it's lift to side of fairway or mats. If it's winter green/temps, then I would rather not bother playing.

Soldato
Usual round today, ground was a bit muddy but weather was nice with the sun out and not too much wind.

Played unusually well :p Some very nice shots, not getting annoyed at the less nice shots, not losing any balls etc

Shot an 86... First time breaking 90, infact it's 8 whole shots better than my previous best round, on the same course.

Helped that my worst holes were double-bogeys and there were only 4 of them (8 bogeys and 6 pars), so no real blow up holes where I rack up +4 or whatever.

Even then there's shots left on the table :cry: My putting was good but not stellar, my driving was similar (longest was 195), but irons and chipping were solid.

Quite happy with that, actually only 2 shots off my target of 'breaking 85' for the year. Although I also know I'm not likely to match it for 'a while' now given previous games, it was just one of those days where it all just kinda worked :D

My locals put visitor green fees up by £15. That's now up to £45 in the winter for 18...

Anyone else find that a bit excessive? The course is pretty well maintained all year round, I have to give them that, but it's not tour level or anything and they regularly but temps up and refuse to lower the fees.

More than a bit excessive... As above really unless it's a properly decent course I'd expect comfortably less, especially with temp greens which suck, mats are 'ok' but yeah...

Associate
Yeah it's last year's paradym, had a rogue st max last year for the first half of the season which was pretty good but it was clearly draw bias on the shotscope stats, hopefully this one is more neutral.

Moved back to Stealth for 2nd half, dispersion was better but not quite as forgiving on the heel misses.

Will be booking a proper fitting next month anyway so I'll just regard this as an experiment :)

Soldato
well, change of plans. i popped into my AG store today for two reasons, 1 - make sure that my order is still on track for launch next Friday :p and 2 - ask if (because all the transactions haven't gone through yet) if I can pay cash and take my D9 Forged out of the trade-in against my new irons.

I want to keep my D9 because, I can jump back into them now that im getting back into golf a lot more these days..once i get my swing going, and they are custom fit for me and I would lose around 75% or what I originally paid! YES! 75%! :eek:

Soldato
Just came across these, https://www.ramgolf.co.uk/ram-golf-fx77-stainless-steel-players-distance-black-iron-set-custom-fit/ seems like incredible value, not a million spec options but I am very tempted to give them a spin as my next set. I was looking at a second hand set of JPX923 at 600ish, but at half the price I could get myself a new driver also!

Id probably go with KBS Max 85 but the others look intriguing also. Shame that it seems no where seems to stock these, but at this price probably not worth anywhere reselling them!

Back
Top Bottom