Golf Thread

Can anyone recommend any other fitters, I am in S.London but could travel a bit towards Kent etc if I can get the best service!

Recommend checking Precision Golf out in Byfleet - https://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/

They maybe pricey but they are very good at what they do, very precise at looking at all aspects of your swing. I couldn't believe the small tweaks they were making to make various clubs go so much further despite doing more or less the same swing I had always been doing!

Another good one further afield (Wokingham) - My Golf Matters - https://www.mygolfmatters.co.uk - again very good analytics of the swing and a nice facility.

I've tried the Elite Performance Golf Studios one before when I was just looking for a new driver at the time but I felt they didn't quite put enough effort in looking at all the options however they did seem pretty knowledgeable. The actual facility is down some random country lane and in some sort of converted farm building!

Recommend checking Precision Golf out in Byfleet - https://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/

They maybe pricey but they are very good at what they do, very precise at looking at all aspects of your swing. I couldn't believe the small tweaks they were making to make various clubs go so much further despite doing more or less the same swing I had always been doing!

Another good one further afield (Wokingham) - My Golf Matters - https://www.mygolfmatters.co.uk - again very good analytics of the swing and a nice facility.

I've tried the Elite Performance Golf Studios one before when I was just looking for a new driver at the time but I felt they didn't quite put enough effort in looking at all the options however they did seem pretty knowledgeable. The actual facility is down some random country lane and in some sort of converted farm building!
Thank you for the recommendations. Certainly a lot to think about. Prices don't seem terrible, I guess you just have to factor it into the cost of upgrading my clubs really.

Thank you for the recommendations. Certainly a lot to think about. Prices don't seem terrible, I guess you just have to factor it into the cost of upgrading my clubs really.

Go and get a couple of fittings if you can.... Don't tell either you've had a fitting before or any specs etc. See what they come up with.

It's weird thing to be honest.... I drove 90 minutes each way for a fitting once at one of the "best independent" fitters in Scotland - paid a fair whack for it. Didn't particular find it that good.... Felt they just went through the motions, recommended some irons and whacked about £400 on top of the price I could order them online.

Went to local Affordable Golf superstore (American Golf store in all but name) - Wonderful fitting, guy listened, asked questions, took me through everything, went way over allotted time, never rushed me. Then priced up irons, knocked 5% off to match others online and kept me updated during the order and delivery......

Go and get a couple of fittings if you can.... Don't tell either you've had a fitting before or any specs etc. See what they come up with.

It's weird thing to be honest.... I drove 90 minutes each way for a fitting once at one of the "best independent" fitters in Scotland - paid a fair whack for it. Didn't particular find it that good.... Felt they just went through the motions, recommended some irons and whacked about £400 on top of the price I could order them online.

Went to local Affordable Golf superstore (American Golf store in all but name) - Wonderful fitting, guy listened, asked questions, took me through everything, went way over allotted time, never rushed me. Then priced up irons, knocked 5% off to match others online and kept me updated during the order and delivery......
That is a good point, I was thinking of going to a different AG and trying to do the fitting from scratch just to see what they thought and then ive got at least a baseline spec again to go from.

Played the next round of the Winter Greensomes Knockout today, quite quickly after the last one which was quite nice.

We had 8 shots over 9 holes again, always nice if a little ridiculous :p I didn't play as well as last time, much more like the 32-handicapper I am tbh, which is fine but made it a bit closer. We still won though, 3&2.

There was one moment that was a bit annoying though, both on my part and one of the other team. So 5th hole my tee shot was in the water but my teammates was dry at least, when we walked up to the ball though it was underneath a bush so couldn't get a swing on it and my teammate suggested turning the club upside down and going lefty, I was kinda planning to just 'stab' down on it and hope for the best :p

So did a few practice swings lefty and felt ok so I went for that and missed the ball entirely and then without thinking took another swing, hit the ball and got it on the green, great shot but being Greensomes after my miss, which was still a stroke, it was my teammates shot so I hit out of turn. Really silly mistake on my part. But the way one guy from the other team acted and announced we'd lost the hole (which I think is the right outcome in matchplay, 2-shot penalty in strokeplay) was a bit OTT it felt, my teammate felt similar.

Of course I then got a bit more focussed and hit a fantastic drive on the 6th, we won that and then again on the 7th for the match win.

I thought today was the semi-finals but actually it was the quarter-finals, by all accounts our opponents for the semi's are very solid, we'll get a bunch of shots again but might be a struggle...

Certain some AG places are good, others are bad.... just depends on the individual you get.
Yeah that definitely seems to be the case from reading online.
I have thought that your swing can vary from 1 fitting to another just like sometimes we are playing well other times we could not hit an elephants bum with banjo.
A great point, im going to get to the end of my current block of lessons then evaluate I think.

Well as Cobra aren't assisting I've bit the bullet and sorting out a fitting for a new Hybrid with PPG https://www.peak-performance-golf.co.uk/
These guys assisted with my driver fitting so happy to go back and are local.

I have been tempted to just buy a replacement LTDX @ £125 but thought I'd have a look and feel at others first. If no better feel etc I'll buy the LTDX again.

Well as Cobra aren't assisting I've bit the bullet and sorting out a fitting for a new Hybrid with PPG https://www.peak-performance-golf.co.uk/
These guys assisted with my driver fitting so happy to go back and are local.

I have been tempted to just buy a replacement LTDX @ £125 but thought I'd have a look and feel at others first. If no better feel etc I'll buy the LTDX again.

oh man, I hope my Cobra woods hold out, there service seems **** poor for sure!

Went down the range yesterday to knock a few rocks about. Spied an old Epic Flash 5 wood in the used section and took it out for a spin. Really liked it, the very thing I've been looking for to replace my 4 hybrid. Can play a nice draw with it (something my hybrid never allowed me to do) and can also hit low knuckle balls (again, something I could never do with the hybrid which always tended to spin up).

Also picked up these beauties this morning. It's pay day, after all...

https://www.clarkesgolf.co.uk/products/mizuno-wave-hazard-boa-golf-shoes-51gm2170

I go through Premium price golf shoes like they're made of rice paper. Probably mostly because I play 70+ rounds a year, whether it's short practice, twilight 9ers or full comps.

Two pairs of Sketchers have now crumbled on me through water damage in about the space of a year, so I have decided to just buy cheap Temu versions and destroy them at a cheaper cost.

If your not brand orientated then you can get Summer or Winter shoes off there for less than half what I'd normally pay.

Last edited:
I go through Premium price golf shoes like they're made of rice paper. Probably mostly because I play 70+ rounds a year, whether it's short practice, twilight 9ers or full comps.

Two pairs of Sketchers have now crumbled on me through water damage in about the space of a year, so I have decided to just buy cheap Temu versions and destroy them at a cheaper cost.

If your not brand orientated then you can get Summer or Winter shoes off there for less than half what I'd normally pay.

I play once a week most of the time and have a dry and wet pair, the wet being a set of cheap slazengers that split after a year last Saturday.

I brought the above mostly because they look slick as hell and I've never tried BOAs before. Just hoping the mechanism can hold up against all the mud and sand...

I have to say the Skechers build quality seems basically nonexistant :p

I bought some basic Skechers a while ago and after just a few months found that the lining on the inside of the heel had split, ended up getting that set replaced which of course promptly split again in the same place after a few months but was too lazy to change them. After a few more months, like 6-8 I think, I noticed my feet were getting quite wet for supposedly waterproof shoes, gave them a good clean and the outer lining had split on both of them where it meets the sole on the outside of the show rendering them effectively useless.

'Thankfully' my local shop, which is also where I get my lessons from and spent way too much on clubs, agreed to replace and after I asked were happy to refund the cost which I then added like £15 for a set of Addidas mid-boot things for winter. Played a bunch of golf in the boots and they're still perfect, so much better quality.

I play once a week most of the time and have a dry and wet pair, the wet being a set of cheap slazengers that split after a year last Saturday.

I brought the above mostly because they look slick as hell and I've never tried BOAs before. Just hoping the mechanism can hold up against all the mud and sand...

I've got the Mizuno Nexlite BOA shoes, very much summer shoe not really being overly waterproof but I love the BOA system, so much nicer than laces both in terms of getting the 'right' tightness but also at the end of the round just pulling out the dial and slipping off the shoes, lovely :D

As said a summer shoe so not much mud exposure for mine but been in plenty of bunkers without issue :p

Back
Top Bottom