Golf Thread

Played in a comp at my local today, they call it the Nations Cup, 4 teams with England, Scotland, Wales and 'Rest of World', I was playing for Wales.

Started off hot! 22 points over the first 8 holes with 3 pars, including a ~20 foot 1 putt :D

Then I drove the ball OB twice on the 9th so picked up.

Back 9 was ok, got 2 points on most holes, couple of 3 pointers, then got to the 18th which is the 9th played again (9 hole course, even off mats at the moment so exactly the same hole).

First drive OB, second tee shot I switched to hybrid and found the water, so another pick up.

18 points in the back 9. 40 points overall with 2 pickups. They keep calling me a bandit for some reason... :p

I'm hoping it'll appear on EG but not sure, think it was a 95 gross which would be a decent score differential and drop my handicap a bit more.

Went out at 0730 this morning ahead of the "bookable" tee times. Shot an 85, bit annoyed could have done better had 3 doubles that hurt me. 1 Birdie couple of bogeys and pars. All in all the driving of the ball for me felt solid, never really did last year till put a new shaft in. Matched my TSR woods and put in a Tensei 1K Carbon Black 65G S Flex, where as the woods have the 75G S Flex.

I've rebooked some more lessons starting next week. I had 5 at the end of last summer and they worked a treat. I've just started pulling the driver now when I "go for it" so I want him to have a look at what I can do to get a bit more distance and not hook it. It's probably in the set up.

I've rebooked some more lessons starting next week. I had 5 at the end of last summer and they worked a treat. I've just started pulling the driver now when I "go for it" so I want him to have a look at what I can do to get a bit more distance and not hook it. It's probably in the set up.

That's something I worked on last year, now I get a nice draw fairly consistently. What I had to do (what worked for me) wasn't trying to make the arms go faster but rotate my hips faster using the ground force of burying my right toe (right handed golfer) into the floor. Allowed me to clear my hips and get through the ball better.

That's something I worked on last year, now I get a nice draw fairly consistently. What I had to do (what worked for me) wasn't trying to make the arms go faster but rotate my hips faster using the ground force of burying my right toe (right handed golfer) into the floor. Allowed me to clear my hips and get through the ball better.

It's something I need to work on as I've gone from a useless slicer of the ball to now a fairly constant drawer of the ball. I hit the ball far enough but the quest for more distance seems to enticing.

Out for the usual game today and it was super windy, made for a few interesting shots but also some really annoying ones :p

Most memorable was a ~60 yard pitch onto the green, wind hard off the right, so aimed right of the green and hit a really nice shot, it got caught the wind and drifted left onto the green, landed basically pin-high between the right edge and then the flag but had so moch momentum from right to left that it bounced and rolled off the side of the green :(

I also couldn't chip (usually my strong point!) or putt today. So not a great result really.

After 4 straight days of golf (first two days 'just' 9-holes) it'll be nice to have a day off tomorrow :p

quick question guys..

I originally had my 3 cobra snakebite wedges (50, 54, 58) to trade against my new irons..I decided against this now, and collected them from AM today.

now, they are brand new, I mean literally brand new. what do I do? hold onto them incase the wedges coming with my taylormades anre no good? or sell them on?

im only concern is they are standard length and im usually fitted for 1" longer, does that matter so much on wedges, or am I better waiting and seeing how I get on with the TM and if not, then get some custom wedges?

I'm playing the best golf I ever have, dropped 3 shots of my handicap, but I'm still Chipping and putting badly. I'm also drawing my irons to nearly a hook.

I know exactly why, grips to strong but I anything else feels so uncomfortable.
I need to do some serious time down the Sim or I need a lesson.

I think I could half my handicap if I could chip within 10 ft and putt.

quick question guys..

I originally had my 3 cobra snakebite wedges (50, 54, 58) to trade against my new irons..I decided against this now, and collected them from AM today.

now, they are brand new, I mean literally brand new. what do I do? hold onto them incase the wedges coming with my taylormades anre no good? or sell them on?

im only concern is they are standard length and im usually fitted for 1" longer, does that matter so much on wedges, or am I better waiting and seeing how I get on with the TM and if not, then get some custom wedges?

I'm no expect but a quick google seems to suggest the lofts would fit in with the Qi Irons, but really depends how you feel about the set wedges vs the Cobras I guess... So keep and see once you get the irons maybe?

No idea on length, I'd imagine it makes less difference on sand/lob wedges, gap wedges are more likely to be full shots where it makes a difference but that's a complete guess :p

Yeah, exactly mate.

My only concern is lengthening the shafts..my fitter said doing that can “upset club balance “, if that’s even true?.

Yeah, exactly mate.

My only concern is lengthening the shafts..my fitter said doing that can “upset club balance “, if that’s even true?.
True enough, swing weight is all about having a specific balance point to what you feel is best to you. Should really be done as part of the fitting process.

If you lengthen the club, it normally means there would be a bit more weight near the grip and the club head would probably feel slightly lighter than normal.
A way to think of it is, if you balance a club on your finger, so its horizontal and get it to balance, if you make the end longer, that centre points will move slightly, so you'll get more weight at one side than the other.
If you get this done at fitting, for new clubs, the factory would add some lead-adhesive inside the bottom of the shaft to counter-balance the weight in the head, albeit very slightly - to balance them back out.

When you buy clubs, eg. Titleist T150's: on their website, they will specify their swing weight D0 for example.

True enough, swing weight is all about having a specific balance point to what you feel is best to you. Should really be done as part of the fitting process.

If you lengthen the club, it normally means there would be a bit more weight near the grip and the club head would probably feel slightly lighter than normal.
A way to think of it is, if you balance a club on your finger, so its horizontal and get it to balance, if you make the end longer, that centre points will move slightly, so you'll get more weight at one side than the other.
If you get this done at fitting, for new clubs, the factory would add some lead-adhesive inside the bottom of the shaft to counter-balance the weight in the head, albeit very slightly - to balance them back out.

When you buy clubs, eg. Titleist T150's: on their website, they will specify their swing weight D0 for example.

Thanks for the input. As my new TaylorMade irons are custom fit, I will use the “wedges” for the meantime, then if I decide to change the wedges..then go custom.

My only gripe is the qI wedges are pretty chunky..not gonna lie.

I've got a small gapping issue. My PW is 43.5 degrees and my Vokeys start at 50 which is where the issue is. A nice smooth PW is 120 yards and a full 50 is 95 yards if I push it. I don't like the idea of always have to take some off the PW to fill the gap as that usually leads to issues. My irons are 3 years old so not really looking to change them any time soon.

I've got a small gapping issue. My PW is 43.5 degrees and my Vokeys start at 50 which is where the issue is. A nice smooth PW is 120 yards and a full 50 is 95 yards if I push it. I don't like the idea of always have to take some off the PW to fill the gap as that usually leads to issues. My irons are 3 years old so not really looking to change them any time soon.
I have this identical issue!! :D
I feel like I need a club for that 105-110 distance, but do I really? Like really really need it?

I have 13 clubs in the bag, perhaps I should 2 of my vokeys and buy another club.
My current wedges are 60, 54, 50, then 43.5' PW

I *could* go:
60/56/52/48/PW - but thats a lot of ££ to fix a single gap where I usually pull off the 105 yard shot with my wedge, but then again it is 3 new lovely clubs. :p

I have this identical issue!! :D
I feel like I need a club for that 105-110 distance, but do I really? Like really really need it?

I have 13 clubs in the bag, perhaps I should 2 of my vokeys and buy another club.
My current wedges are 60, 54, 50, then 43.5' PW

I *could* go:
60/56/52/48/PW - but thats a lot of ££ to fix a single gap where I usually pull off the 105 yard shot with my wedge, but then again it is 3 new lovely clubs. :p
I haven't really got a gap in my clubs to put another one in. What I could do is replace the PW with a 46 degree Vokey but then that leaves a 8 degree gap to my 9 iron.

Current set up is

Driver
3 Wood
3 Hybrid
4-9 Iron
PW
50, 54 & 58.

Last edited:

I have a similar issue. PW is 42 and next club is a 52. I've tried to take something off a PW but often just end up leaking right with face open as i don't get the flow of closing the face. Getting the approach wedge from the set (Mavriks) to fill the gap. Need a reliable 100-105 shot.

Picked up a Cobra LTDx 3 wood a few weeks ago to try fill the gap between my driver and hybrid, and it's absolutely bang-on - only had a shot of it for the first time yesterday at the range. Had a gap of about 70 yards between them and the 3 wood has slotted in beautifully into the 240-250 yard range.

Picked up a Cobra LTDx 3 wood a few weeks ago to try fill the gap between my driver and hybrid, and it's absolutely bang-on - only had a shot of it for the first time yesterday at the range. Had a gap of about 70 yards between them and the 3 wood has slotted in beautifully into the 240-250 yard range.

I bought that club myself last month, really annoyingly I've managed to mark the club after getting right under the ball. Only a minor blemish but annoying.

Back
Top Bottom