Golf Thread

Golfnow? Not come across this. Is it like a golf deals website type thing?
Basically a website/app that you can book tee times on hundreds of courses. Normally get them a bit cheaper on GolfNow closer to the date you want to play - they want people on the courses so can usually save a few quid.

The only downside is you might get paired up with randoms if you don't take a 4-ball. We've never had this though and it's normally just two of us that go out.

Last edited:
Basically a website/app that you can book tee times on hundreds of courses. Normally get them a bit cheaper on GolfNow closer to the date you want to play - they want people on the courses so can usually save a few quid.

The only downside is you might get paired up with randoms if you don't take a 4-ball. We've never had this though and it's normally just two of us that go out.
I've used Golfnow quite a few times and I've never been paired up with anyone else.

Who here carries their clubs around the course?

I started doing it this year and found I really enjoy carrying over pushing a trolley over winter, problem is my bag is a bit meh and it's getting annoying now. It's a Spalding branded bag that came as part of my £200 package set and in the past couple of months I've had to replace the straps because the foam had completely collapsed in them, the lining around one of the pockets has worn through and recently the legs kinda 'dangle' and it's annoying me a lot.

So, thinking about a new stand bag, went to the shop today to have a look and potentially narrowed it down to two...
  • Ping Hoofer Lite (the classic?) - £180 in the shop, liked the cart/trolley strap pass through, also that the mechanism for the legs wasn't an external lever. It did seem to be awkward to operate but that's an empty bag, think it's meant to be better with a full set? Also the legs had no 'feet' and I can see them sinking in to a boggy course but I guess I could buy or even 3D Print some to fit.
  • Mizuno K1-LO - £160 in the shop, seemed if anything lighter than the Ping and had some nicely organised pockets/sub-dividers it seems, and feet on the legs! But no cart strap passthrough and an external lever to operate the legs.
Anyone used either of them? Or have other reccomendations?

Carried over winter using the bargain priced Ellese stand bag I picked up in my local American Golf last year for £70. Used it on my trolley over the summer and carried it Dec/Jan or when on the par 3 course. The only niggle I have is my clubs, noteably driver, sometimes get stuck in the dividers (6 way). Other than that is seems to be holding up fine from a wear point of view, unlike my body which doesn't seem to enjoy carrying :p (picked up a niggle in my right arm which coincides with when I started carrying in Dec).

I started doing it this year and found I really enjoy carrying over pushing a trolley over winter, problem is my bag is a bit meh and it's getting annoying now. It's a Spalding branded bag that came as part of my £200 package set and in the past couple of months I've had to replace the straps because the foam had completely collapsed in them, the lining around one of the pockets has worn through and recently the legs kinda 'dangle' and it's annoying me a lot.

So, thinking about a new stand bag, went to the shop today to have a look and potentially narrowed it down to two...
  • Ping Hoofer Lite (the classic?) - £180 in the shop, liked the cart/trolley strap pass through, also that the mechanism for the legs wasn't an external lever. It did seem to be awkward to operate but that's an empty bag, think it's meant to be better with a full set? Also the legs had no 'feet' and I can see them sinking in to a boggy course but I guess I could buy or even 3D Print some to fit.
  • Mizuno K1-LO - £160 in the shop, seemed if anything lighter than the Ping and had some nicely organised pockets/sub-dividers it seems, and feet on the legs! But no cart strap passthrough and an external lever to operate the legs.

Stand bags on a trolley can end up a bit "off" if that makes sense.

I have a large "pro" bag which I use 90% of the time on my trolley. I also have a titleist pencil bag for those 9 hole rounds during the summer etc. Saying that I've carried it with 14 clubs for 36 holes before and it was fine.

I'd always commit to either a stand bag and no trolley.... Or trolley bag all the time. If that makes sense!?

Just back from a Titleist SM10 wedge fitting I got free via "Team Titleist" (free to sign up online). Always decent as I've got plenty of freebies from them over the last few years. Mugs, Balls, free fittings etc.

Fitting was at a cold, and borderline snowing, Dundonald Links.

Great fitter, really knew his stuff - took time to ask about me, my game, what I want from fitting etc. Never felt like going through the motions.

Hit various full shots on trackman, then narrowed it down to a few "grinds" - Then over to the short game area, some chip and runs, some bunker shots, some over the bunker shots etc. He likes to keep it "blind" in terms of the grinds/specs so that you don't know what your hitting, just wedge number 1/2/3 etc. Then you say what you like and he agrees or disagrees.

Then played around with some other SM10's. They are so new, he was literally taking the plastic off the clubs for me to hit them! Cleans the grooves after each shot etc. Felt like a pro even if it was like 1 degree on the range!

Anyway - no pressure sales, narrowed it down to my specs 54.12 D grind and 58.12 D Grind to replace my T22's which were just off the shelf wedges with no fitting.

Sent me all the specs via email. Great 60 minutes for free!! Got some nice bag tags as well.

He was also fawning over my Scotty Cameron Putter....

Top man - great day despite the freezing temps....

Now to speak to the wife about potential ordering! They are out to retail on March 8th

I use a pretty entry level callaway x series bag. It's been solid for me. I carry in the winter when I have to park the trolley far away from the greens can only use it on the rough etc.. and then in spring onwards stick it on a Motocaddy Cube. No issues there. It seems rain proof as well. Nothing inside ever gets wet and fabric is easy to wipe clean.

It was under 100. In winter I only use max 8 clubs anyway so carrying isn't an issue.

Last edited:
I use a pretty entry level callaway x series bag. It's been solid for me. I carry in the winter when I have to park the trolley far away from the greens can only use it on the rough etc.. and then in spring onwards stick it on a Motocaddy Cube. No issues there. It seems rain proof as well. Nothing inside ever gets wet and fabric is easy to wipe clean.

It was under 100. In winter I only use max 8 clubs anyway so carrying isn't an issue.

8 clubs only. Wow. Is that because you play the same course so consistently you never need more? I probably use my 3 wood, 60 degree and 4 iron the least but there are times I do need them so I always take 14 clubs. Bag is so heavy so I always use trolley.

8 clubs only. Wow. Is that because you play the same course so consistently you never need more? I probably use my 3 wood, 60 degree and 4 iron the least but there are times I do need them so I always take 14 clubs. Bag is so heavy so I always use trolley.

Same course yes:
Driver
5w or 4h
5/7/PW/52/60
or
6/8/PW/52/60
Putter

For example because of the rain, tomorrow, it'll be the hybrid as it's easier than the 5w when the course is a bit wet and more mud prone. Same with irons, more loft is my friend when course isn't playing its best.

At a 19hcp, I can play just the same with 8 clubs or full bag lol

Last edited:
Carried over winter using the bargain priced Ellese stand bag I picked up in my local American Golf last year for £70. Used it on my trolley over the summer and carried it Dec/Jan or when on the par 3 course. The only niggle I have is my clubs, noteably driver, sometimes get stuck in the dividers (6 way). Other than that is seems to be holding up fine from a wear point of view, unlike my body which doesn't seem to enjoy carrying :p (picked up a niggle in my right arm which coincides with when I started carrying in Dec).

I'll have to go take a look at AG :p The Spalding is technically an AG one, got it 18 months ago ish but used it for ~6 months then got a cart bag over spring and now back to using it.

My current bags don't have the full dividers and I get a similar problem it seems, assuming I'm reading it right, both the ones I mentioned have full length dividers so potentially would avoid that issue... At a cost :p

Stand bags on a trolley can end up a bit "off" if that makes sense.

I have a large "pro" bag which I use 90% of the time on my trolley. I also have a titleist pencil bag for those 9 hole rounds during the summer etc. Saying that I've carried it with 14 clubs for 36 holes before and it was fine.

I'd always commit to either a stand bag and no trolley.... Or trolley bag all the time. If that makes sense!?

Yeah, I've used the stand bag on a trolley a bit and it seems to rotate itself about 90-degrees, also with buggies it can be a bit awkward with the lever for the legs as it doesn't really fit nicely. Would kinda hope the Ping Hoofer at least with it's passthrough bit being good for buggies at least, but dunno.

I do have a cart bag as well for trolley/buggy use, and it's likely I'll switch to buggies again over summer and only occasionally walk anyway, was originally thinking I'd make the Spalding bag last until April-ish when buggies are allowed back on the fairways and then leave replacing it till the end of the year but now it's annoying me a lot :p But I get what you're saying, plan would likely to switch to cart bag over summer because of buggies and occasional trolley rounds and the stand bag would be gathering dust until winter...

I have to say I'm not particularly impressed with my Callaway cart bag tbh :/ Did look at some of the ones in the shop but nothing stood out...

Forgot to mention but waterproof-ness seems to factor low on my requirements, I usually don't play in the wet, he says with a round booked tomorrow with 'showers' :p Pretty sure neither of my current bags are waterproof but never been a problem.

I do like playing a half-set tbh, did it a bit last winter but so far just taken the full set this winter so far, was good though, I should do that more :p

Same course yes:
Driver
5w or 4h
5/7/PW/52/60
or
6/8/PW/52/60
Putter

For example because of the rain, tomorrow, it'll be the hybrid as it's easier than the 5w when the course is a bit wet and more mud prone. Same with irons, more loft is my friend when course isn't playing its best.

At a 19hcp, I can play just the same with 8 clubs or full bag lol

But the psychological trauma of being in a place without the right club! :)
What is the appeal of playing with a light bag and carrying? Is it that you get round quicker you think?

Ive done it a few times where I'll take odd or even number clubs out of my bag over winter. Gets you to try different shots with different clubs. I always carry through winter with my TM Waterproof bag. By the time March rolls around though I'm ready to get the trolley out again.

Makes me feel lucky at only having a £980 yearly sub. We have a "mini" driving range 180 yards max really, nets, 2 practice greens both can be chipped around. Soon to be having a fitting studio added, but when I say that it'll be a few years. Fairly tight course so it's nice to visit other courses and not be too worried and just open the shoulders up. We finally have bunker work going on, they are all being emptied and re built (so we are told) knowing our team they will just put sand over the top.

take a look at the Big Max Dri-Lite Hybrid bag, its the best bag as an "all rounder" that i have owned..main thing for me is the 14 way divider you would get on a trolly bag, but as a stand bag.

I find it suitable 90% reason is less bag chatter and access to the different clubs are so seamless without jamming them in when you have a 4-6 way divider.

only started carrying after xmas as the GF kindly brought me a RLX Carry Bag for £160 (xmas sale).

I've noticed carrying has improved my posture and also kept me warm through the winter.

During the warm summer I shall definitely use my electric trolly but I may on the odd days still use the carry bag.

Last edited:
only started carrying after xmas as the GF kindly brought me a RLX Carry Bag for £160 (xmas sale).

I've noticed carrying has improved my posture and also kept me warm through the winter.

During the warm summer I shall definitely use my electric trolly but I may on the odd days still use the carry bag.
I feel exactly the same way!
I've had to carry all winter at my course anyway, but even going and playing courses where trolleys were allowed, I still opted to carry since it feels easier than operating my electric trolley. I don't feel tired carrying 18 nowadays, so going to stick with it until it gets boiling (aaaaaages away)

The price of golf bags is ridiculous. A waterproof stand bag is £250. My basic Ping Hoofer was £160 last year.

What are your thoughts on the Hoofer? But yeah, they aint cheap! (bags in general...)

But then what in golf is :p

I've decided I probably will end up buying one tomorrow, I'll check prices against online places but generally do favour my local shop as long as the difference isn't huge... I play multiple times a week so poor straps and the legs dangling down and catching on my legs/calfs is annoying enough that it's 'worth it'.

Back
Top Bottom