Golf Thread

Fitting booked for new irons for next month...
It time for some new clubs! This will only be my 2nd ever set, so not quite up there with @Zeebedy yet, but gaining ground :p

I'm gonna give the following clubs a go:

Titleist T150
Mizuno 245/243
TM P790/770

I have the Mizuno 223's and they are honestly the best clubs I've ever hit. I go from 5-PW with them as even at a 12 handicap the 4 iron put the fear of god into me!

Sadly I'm down with man flu again today, managed to play yesterday feeling really awful but did well considering. Course was closed Friday, open yesterday and closed again today. I am really done with the changeable weather. Just have to think in 2 months time we will be back to full tee's no more temps, no boggy ground and actually playable greens.

Fitting booked for new irons for next month...
It time for some new clubs! This will only be my 2nd ever set, so not quite up there with @Zeebedy yet, but gaining ground :p

I'm gonna give the following clubs a go:

Titleist T150
Mizuno 245/243
TM P790/770

Go with open mind....Srixon zx5/7 are lovely as well. I'm a big mizuno fan boy but don't dismiss the other brands. Wilson's new irons are fabulous as well. Ping don't make a bad set etc....

I'm off for a hybrid fitting next week following Cobra poor customer service relating to my broken LTDX.
I literally have no idea what I'll walk away with but all I do know is I want the feel and the confidence my LTDX gave me

Actually scrap that. I have just sourced a brand new LTDX 4 Hybrid for £109. Why change what wasn't broken (even though it was broken :cry: )

Last edited:
Out today for the round, course was sooooo muddy though, really should've been closed. Was weird by the 16th tee though when it was actually getting really quite warm as we traipsed through the swamp :p

Played terribly today, 101 reduced to 100, after the last 3 games on that course being 86, 89 and 90 (reduced to 89), feels so bad, but really it wasn't that long ago I'd take that and be happy...

Did birdie one of the harder holes on the course as well, my good shots were pretty solid still just far too many duffs, and mistakes that cost me badly. Still, forget that and start planning the next game :D

Go with open mind....Srixon zx5/7 are lovely as well. I'm a big mizuno fan boy but don't dismiss the other brands. Wilson's new irons are fabulous as well. Ping don't make a bad set etc....

Definitely, I really really liked the Srixon ZX4 Mk II's, imo better than the Mizuno JPX923's, those are the irons tempting me the most... And the Wilson Staff ones look sooooo nice :D

I'm off for a hybrid fitting next week following Cobra poor customer service relating to my broken LTDX.
I literally have no idea what I'll walk away with but all I do know is I want the feel and the confidence my LTDX gave me

Actually scrap that. I have just sourced a brand new LTDX 4 Hybrid for £109. Why change what wasn't broken (even though it was broken :cry: )

Sounds good for 3 rounds till it breaks again :cry:

well, two great things for me up here..

went to the range to hit my D9's again, and man, im glad im back, forged ftw.

also the only other issue I had with my club, being so small, had really, really bad mats at there range..end bay loaded with "new" mats, great condition, just waiting to replace the current ones.

it sound so trivial, but im over the moon with the new mats going down, really, really stoked!

Just had a look over the Garmin data for the round today, kinda expected it but I think one of my biggest issues (other than 4 or so putts that just stopped within 1 inch of the hole) was I was trying to hit everything too hard...

My recent good form felt like it came in part from being really smooth with everything, not trying to get maximum distance and being happy if say my 5w only goes 150-160 yards, as long as it went 150-160 yards straight and where I aimed it :p

My first hole today I hit a 200 yard drive, solid but wasn't really ripping it, then duffed a 5w trying to kill it then hit my 5w again for the 3rd shot and it went 189 yards, and pushed a bit right. On the one hand that's great distance for me on a very muddy day with no real rollout but on the other hand if I'd hit the 2nd shot smooth and ~150 yards I would've had <140 in and a much more makeable shot onto the green for me.

Just had a look over the Garmin data for the round today, kinda expected it but I think one of my biggest issues (other than 4 or so putts that just stopped within 1 inch of the hole) was I was trying to hit everything too hard...

My recent good form felt like it came in part from being really smooth with everything, not trying to get maximum distance and being happy if say my 5w only goes 150-160 yards, as long as it went 150-160 yards straight and where I aimed it :p

My first hole today I hit a 200 yard drive, solid but wasn't really ripping it, then duffed a 5w trying to kill it then hit my 5w again for the 3rd shot and it went 189 yards, and pushed a bit right. On the one hand that's great distance for me on a very muddy day with no real rollout but on the other hand if I'd hit the 2nd shot smooth and ~150 yards I would've had <140 in and a much more makeable shot onto the green for me.

yeah, i find that a smooth swing giving better contact can go just as far as one smashed, but again, its hard to change..i have such a fast swing speed its not even funny!

Took my driver out of the bag the past couple of weeks. Not only did I play to my best scores but enjoyed every round and it was the least stressful golf I can recall. Tee off with my 5w which is consistent every single time.

My goal isn’t to get rid of the driver but to slowly work it back into my normal swing than trying to ‘optimize’ a driver swing which was messing up the rest of the clubs as well.

Last edited:
Took my driver out of the bag the past couple of weeks. Not only did I play to my best scores but enjoyed every round and it was the least stressful golf I can recall. Tee off with my 5w which is consistent every single time.

My goal isn’t to get rid of the driver but to slowly work it back into my normal swing than trying to ‘optimize’ a driver swing which was messing up the rest of the clubs as well.

Same - I've got a 3 wood and a 2 iron, that's plenty for me - decent swing speed - any mistakes with a driver get me into plenty of trouble. That being said, I've been working on ball position and tee height with my 2 iron, turns out I have a lot more success if I move the ball back in my stance and tee up a little!

Played on Friday, shot an 87, with an annoying lost ball on the 18th Par 4 - managed to scramble and get a 5 to finish off, luckily. Pleased, but some things to work on, especially my short irons - wasn't hitting them well.

well..i think i have cracked it! :p

just back from the range, and i have narrowed my stance down and got a little closer to the ball at address..and man, my good shots were GOOD! and my bad ones were still acceptable.

plus, i know its groundhog day on this, but when you strike the forged clubs, there is no comparison!

a few years old but highlights a great point.....

Putting at tour level....

So from 4ft - pros make 4 in 5 putts (miss 1)
from 6ft pros make 6 in 10 and miss 4
from 8ft - less than 1 in every 2 putts are holed (46%)
from 10ft - just a fraction over 1 in 3 are made, 2 are missed (36%)

yet we all stand over 6/8ft putts and can't believe how we miss them.... It's wild to see the numbers and sometimes we all need to realise that those putts we expect to hole from say 6ft are only holed 60% of the time by the pro's - let alone us duffers....

Fun reading and his twitter account is great for stats.... (Lou Stagner)

Back
Top Bottom