Golf Thread

Even grass ranges, my local has one, whilst far better than mats are also generally perfectly flat so won't help with the more awkward parts of playing on a course imo...

Had a session in the simulator today, according to the computer I should just give up golf now :( :cry:

They put me on the GC3 which is a bit annoying (they have two GCQuads and a GC3) as it just doesn't give as much data and I'm kind of a little suspect about just how accurate it is, but even then according to it I was hitting everything massively out-to-in, even when I did like a 1/3rd shot and tried to hit the ball to the side wall and it looked 100% in-to-out it was still saying 2-4 degrees out-to-in, really not sure I trust that :p

Kinda deflating almost especially as I feel like I've been playing really well, think I just need to ignore it and move on. Playing the normal round tomorrow and just gonna swing smoothly and keep the ball in play, see what happens :)

The more you play the more you realize there's no cohesive rhythm to progress, especially when technique and mindset clash. You can be in love with the game and feel comfortable with where you are then go for a lesson and be told everything's out of whack. Playing well and having a good swing are not one in the same.

It's easy to come out of a contextually 'great' round and forget about all the areas of your game that sucked on the day. My card is often saved by great chipping and a lack of 3 putts and I often find myself thinking I'm making progress, but when that stuff fails me I blame my whole game. It's why keeping notes and not just a score is SO important.

Everything's up and down and concentrating on one part of your game can steal progress away from another. My teacher once said that all it took to be a successful tour pro was being half decent at everything all the time. The more I play the more I realize how true that is.

Decided a week or two ago to put my Dynapowers up for sale. I just can't trust the distances at all, the unpredictable trampolining off the face was starting to really do my head in. The 7 iron inparticular could go anywhere between 130 to 175yrds and I'd get little to no feedback even when hitting the sweet spot. Really struggled to control a draw with them also.

I'd tried out an old set of AP2 718s in the pro shop last week and really enjoyed them. Could shape a draw a lot easier with them and whilst nowhere near as long as the DPs on mint strikes, I'd rather hit it shorter and have a little option for control. They also look stunning, the smaller profile suiting my eye a lot better.
Pro shop would only give me £220 trade in for the DPs though and wanted £390 for the AP2s... Whacked them on FB marketplace the day after and low and behold someones gotten in touch today wanting to do a straight swap for 718s, 4-PW+50.

Result!

Last edited:
The loft is a lie.

In trying to fill a gap between by mavrik 4H 20deg and my 6iron. I can’t hit the 5i well at my skill.

So I picked up an Aerojet 5H 24deg. And sure enough the 5H is almost as long as the Mavrik 4H. Between the advancing tech, different shafts etc mixing a bag is just hard. Thankfully I can swap or return it and will get official numbers against it but on the course today and in A/B testing they’re very samey.

I had a similar experience with a Stealth Hybrid. They’re so long….

On its own I can’t say a single negative about the Aerojet. Came with a KBS TGI 75. Some might find it heavy as my playing partner did but I find the weight to be a positive.

Last edited:
Decided to do another AG fitting today, the guy was different to last time and he seemed really to know his stuff. Immediately he said it was a good move from me to get a stiff shaft (as per recommendation from my tutor) but he said they were too light. Recommended I go up to a 105g stiff shaft so need to sell mine as I dont think reshafting them is worth while.

I mentioned I had been to the same AG about 9mths before and was told 2up and 0.5" longer and he nearly fell over, he was really unhappy about it and was going to investigate who it was. He said I am as standard length and lie as it comes!

Out for the usual Friday round today, was very muddy as we had a bunch of rain overnight so that's annoying but weather was nice, double-digits and some periods of sun, bit of wind but nothing too crazy.

Started off pretty slow really, couple of really scruffy holes on the front 9 for a 48 then managed a 41 on the back 9, best 9 holes to date \o/ Even par'd the last 3, 4 pars in the last 5, solid :D

So 89 overall, again, I'd kinda accepted a 90+ score after that front 9 so was definitely a pleasant surprise :)

Managed a chip-in (for par!) on the 6th and very almost got a birdie chip-in on the 16th, the latter being less than a foot from the hole but on a perfect line.

Light enough now in the evening that I was able to get round the par 3 short course after work, finish half an hour earlier on a Friday :) Pleasantly surprised myself by putting on a largely competent display of ball striking, welcome after the horror show I'd put on last time around! First lesson of the year booked in for a couple of weeks time. Only downer is the forecast for the weekend doesn't look great in terms of rainfall so don't know if I'll be able to get out on course Sunday.

Used the range session tonight to start gapping out the AP2s. An absolute joy. Not quite as long as my previous clubs but so much more consistent and the flight and feel when hit out the button is a thing of wonder.

@SKILL thats great to hear pal! Know you've been putting a lot of work in so well deserved.

Last edited:
well guys..some disappointing news..i have been in denial since the first range session..

The Qi are great irons, but I cannot get over the non forged feel and control from my D9's, so im selling on the Qi irons :(

Need to purchase two wedges to get the bag range again, (my D9 are 5-GW). So ordered a 54 and 58 that was on offer for a great price on Clubhouse Golf, really rate that site overall.

So, there we go.

well guys..some disappointing news..i have been in denial since the first range session..

The Qi are great irons, but I cannot get over the non forged feel and control from my D9's, so im selling on the Qi irons :(

Need to purchase two wedges to get the bag range again, (my D9 are 5-GW). So ordered a 54 and 58 that was on offer for a great price on Clubhouse Golf, really rate that site overall.

So, there we go.

Unlucky mate. Went out today with my new forged set pictured above and have to agree with you. Coming from a big chunky muscled cavity back to these had me a little nervous, but the feel is sensational. You know exactly where the balls likely to be heading as soon as it's left the face and there really is no better feeling when you middle one.

Best round for a while today, spurred on by the new irons no doubt. 41 on the front, 43 on the back. Felt like I had so much more control from 160 in.

Exactly mate, you want that feedback to know where you have gone wrong on a Mishit shot, and how god it feels whe; hit well.

That’s good scoring man, keep it up!

Damn @Zeebedy you go through irons at a rate of knots!!! Isn't that like 4 sets in the last couple of months now?

I kinda get it, not had the Dynapowers long and keep telling myself I'll keep them until I'm <20 handicap at least but then I think back to those Srixon ZX4 Mk II's or several other options and get real tempted...

Can't wait for some actual nice weather then get a gapping session in. Keeping grinding my lessons at the moment.

Played today, 33 points. But very wet. Looking at the weather forecast there will now be rain for the next 2 weeks.

This rain really needs to stop :( It's ******* it down again today, tomorrow is gonna be like wading through a swamp and there's a good argument the course should really close but I'm still crazy enough to play. Feels like we've had mostly meh weather since like July...

Damn @Zeebedy you go through irons at a rate of knots!!! Isn't that like 4 sets in the last couple of months now?

I kinda get it, not had the Dynapowers long and keep telling myself I'll keep them until I'm <20 handicap at least but then I think back to those Srixon ZX4 Mk II's or several other options and get real tempted...

This rain really needs to stop :( It's ******* it down again today, tomorrow is gonna be like wading through a swamp and there's a good argument the course should really close but I'm still crazy enough to play. Feels like we've had mostly meh weather since like July...

3 sets :p

Back
Top Bottom