Golf Thread

I just had a driver fitting, the darkspeed max 10.5 and Paradym Ai Smoke MAX D Driver with a 60g blue low spin shaft were my preferred options of the new lineup. Before I dive into spending a lot of money on a brand new driver, are there any models in the past few years that would be a similar spec to these that I could take a look at, of course the shaft is fairly non negotiable so will try and see if i can pick up one of those but wondering what head is similar to those two models?

I just had a driver fitting, the darkspeed max 10.5 and Paradym Ai Smoke MAX D Driver with a 60g blue low spin shaft were my preferred options of the new lineup. Before I dive into spending a lot of money on a brand new driver, are there any models in the past few years that would be a similar spec to these that I could take a look at, of course the shaft is fairly non negotiable so will try and see if i can pick up one of those but wondering what head is similar to those two models?

any of the previous generations will be "much" the same. Won't notice a whole lot of difference.

Double check the shaft but I'm guessing it was the TENSEI™ AV Series Blue shaft - it's usually either 55 or 65g. Then regular or stiff.

So previous cobra line up was - latest (2023) - Aerojet series / LTDx / Radspeed from last few years.
Callaway - Paradym / Rogue ST / Epic speed / Mavrik

any of the previous generations will be "much" the same. Won't notice a whole lot of difference.

Double check the shaft but I'm guessing it was the TENSEI™ AV Series Blue shaft - it's usually either 55 or 65g. Then regular or stiff.

So previous cobra line up was - latest (2023) - Aerojet series / LTDx / Radspeed from last few years.

This basically, add in that the two models you mention are both the "Draw Biased" models, so for Paradym it would be the Paradym X model to most closely match the AI:Smoke Max D etc

I've got the Mavrik Max (so Draw Biased again) and whilst I'm sure Paradym/AI:Smoke are better I doubt they're gonna be night and day different, especially given you can get the Mavrik Max for £229 new or maybe even less if you shop around.

Thanks mate, so in the Cobra it was UST LINQ Blue 60g stiff and the AiSmoke shaft name escapes me now but they were both stiff and yeah basically aiming for 60g but as I have found out some shafts are labelled 60 but can be below or above lol

Thanks for the tips on the previous ones, will scour ebay etc.
This basically, add in that the two models you mention are both the "Draw Biased" models, so for Paradym it would be the Paradym X model to most closely match the AI:Smoke Max D etc

I've got the Mavrik Max (so Draw Biased again) and whilst I'm sure Paradym/AI:Smoke are better I doubt they're gonna be night and day different, especially given you can get the Mavrik Max for £229 new or maybe even less if you shop around.
Thanks mate, will check out those ones also.

One of the other major takeaways was my spin was really high, that was more a technique issue than anything. I was up past 4.5k+ which is losing me distance.

Last edited:
That is high spin, even from my layman view :p

Did you get any info on club path/face angle? I'm assuming it's similar to mine being out-to-in and open face (so fade/slicing ball flight), and yeah technique/swing would be the issue, my main question point there would be (or is for me personally) is it worth getting fit for a driver when if you fix your swing it might become the wrong driver...

That is high spin, even from my layman view :p

Did you get any info on club path/face angle? I'm assuming it's similar to mine being out-to-in and open face (so fade/slicing ball flight), and yeah technique/swing would be the issue, my main question point there would be (or is for me personally) is it worth getting fit for a driver when if you fix your swing it might become the wrong driver...
Nothing that I can remember off the top of my head, it was at an AG and they basically wouldn't do the "proper" fitting unless I committed to buy one. Definitely noticed all my of shots going right at the top of the apex if that makes sense.

The point about fixing the swing, 100% agree actually. It happened with my irons, I went last summer and was fit 2deg up and 1/2" longer as well as regular flex which I didn't buy. I started having lessons since Jan and my tutor recommended stiff flex at least, so I found a good deal for those and they have been great.

I went for anotherIrons fitting last week and was told standard lie and length, the only thing they could suggest to upgrade from my current clubs was that if my swing speed keeps increasing with the lessons etc then I should go from 85g stiff to 105g stiff.

You now have me second guessing a lot of the research I have been doing today on drivers and trying to find deals online. Perhaps I just try pickup a solid option e.g. Taylormade M2 with at least the right shaft in. Game that for this season and have my lessons, then be interesting to go for a proper fitting next year maybe if I find I need something else.

Last edited:
Nothing that I can remember off the top of my head, it was at an AG and they basically wouldn't do the "proper" fitting unless I committed to buy one. Definitely noticed all my of shots going right at the top of the apex if that makes sense.

The point about fixing the swing, 100% agree actually. It happened with my irons, I went last summer and was fit 2deg up and 1/2" longer as well as regular flex which I didn't buy. I started having lessons since Jan and my tutor recommended stiff flex at least, so I found a good deal for those and they have been great.

I went for anotherIrons fitting last week and was told standard lie and length, the only thing they could suggest to upgrade from my current clubs was that if my swing speed keeps increasing with the lessons etc then I should go from 85g stiff to 105g stiff.

You now have me second guessing a lot of the research I have been doing today on drivers and trying to find deals online. Perhaps I just try pickup a solid option e.g. Taylormade M2 with at least the right shaft in. Game that for this season and have my lessons, then be interesting to go for a proper fitting next year maybe if I find I need something else.

I think that makes sense if you're still fairly early in your golf 'career', I bought my Mavrik after maybe 6 months of playing and since then (about a year later now) my swing has if nothing else got a whole lot more consistent. Back then I probably wouldn't have benefitted from a fitting at all, even now my swing could do with improving so a fitting may not be the best rather than just fix what I've got.

I went brand new, partially as I like the shiny things :p and because I love an impulse purchase, but right now the Mavrik Max is £229 brand new and probably available cheaper elsewhere like golfbidder or Callaway pre-owned, and I'd imagine the Radspeed is similar, and maybe even the models after those. That's a lot more palatable to me than ~£429+ for the brand new one, especially if you may end up changing in a year or so.

What driver do you have now out of curiosity?

Looks like no golf again this weekend. When will this rain stop.

I know right :(

Supposed to have my Greensomes match on Friday, this is the semi-finals, course is closed today after we had a bunch of rain starting around midnight, a whole bunch more is forecast for tomorrow so no chance the course is open. And even when I can play at the course in Bristol it's just kinda depressing, no point taking relieve from temporary water cause there's no dry ground in sight :p

Golf is really not a game if you're bloody scrimping. Never had anything new which I'm fine with, but I could really do with a stand bag as my previous one tore a few weeks back. My pencil bag is fine but it gets covered with mud in these conditions.

Facebook is usually great for this kind of stuff but every time somethings come up the last few weeks it's gone by the time I get a message sent.

Might just have to bite the bullet and get a new one. Gonna have to come out of the lesson fund :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Golf is really not a game if you're bloody scrimping. Never had anything new which I'm fine with, but I could really do with a stand bag as my previous one tore a few weeks back. My pencil bag is fine but it gets covered with mud in these conditions.

Facebook is usually great for this kind of stuff but every time somethings come up the last few weeks it's gone by the time I get a message sent.

Might just have to bite the bullet and get a new one. Gonna have to come out of the lesson fund :rolleyes:

thats what i use mate. great bag, 14 way divider, showerproof, comfortable to carry, big pockets...great price at Clubhouse Golf. I use them a lot!

I think that makes sense if you're still fairly early in your golf 'career', I bought my Mavrik after maybe 6 months of playing and since then (about a year later now) my swing has if nothing else got a whole lot more consistent. Back then I probably wouldn't have benefitted from a fitting at all, even now my swing could do with improving so a fitting may not be the best rather than just fix what I've got.

I went brand new, partially as I like the shiny things :p and because I love an impulse purchase, but right now the Mavrik Max is £229 brand new and probably available cheaper elsewhere like golfbidder or Callaway pre-owned, and I'd imagine the Radspeed is similar, and maybe even the models after those. That's a lot more palatable to me than ~£429+ for the brand new one, especially if you may end up changing in a year or so.

What driver do you have now out of curiosity?
I definitely agree. Yeah I am seeing way too many people at the range with beat up 10yr old clubs driving 280+ hah but they just have awesome swings.

Its so very tempting to get new, I was very close today on a few clubs i saw on eBay.

So I had/have a Callaway XR Speed, my dad has started using it because its basically in his spec as per his most recent fitting. I could have course just got a stiff shaft and kept my head but he moved in quickly :D

In the last few mins I literally just purchased a TM r11, I know its a decade old but it has the right shaft for me and looks in cracking condition. Picking it up next week hopefully. I have paid £30 which I really dont think i can complain about and gives me more money for lessons. If it just gets me through this season then its paid for itself, then if I am still playing in 9 months then maybe I get a new shiny one for christmas!

I definitely agree. Yeah I am seeing way too many people at the range with beat up 10yr old clubs driving 280+ hah but they just have awesome swings.

Its so very tempting to get new, I was very close today on a few clubs i saw on eBay.

So I had/have a Callaway XR Speed, my dad has started using it because its basically in his spec as per his most recent fitting. I could have course just got a stiff shaft and kept my head but he moved in quickly :D

In the last few mins I literally just purchased a TM r11, I know its a decade old but it has the right shaft for me and looks in cracking condition. Picking it up next week hopefully. I have paid £30 which I really dont think i can complain about and gives me more money for lessons. If it just gets me through this season then its paid for itself, then if I am still playing in 9 months then maybe I get a new shiny one for christmas!
Another change, my dad has now decided he doesn't want my Callaway so that is back in my hands, I am going to get a stiff shaft for it this week and that will be in my bag as my driver. I will have to pull out of the R11 deal :(

I have been looking at the other woods in my bag and interested to get some comments from you guys.

I currently have a 3w TM V-Steel Stiff flex (15deg) and 4w Callaway XR16 (17deg) in the Speeder 556 Regular Flex and 4hi Ping g10 (24deg) is regular flex. They are all hand me down clubs :)

Looking at my toptracer stats for these clubs, in my last several sessions, I average 194 with 3w and 189 with 4w and 182 with 7w (i borrowed one from the guy in the bay next to me) and 186 with a 4hi, so not a huge sample size to go off but it makes it a bit harder to judge what gapping i should do with these.

It seems the right path to go is definitely keep the 3w as a driver alternative off the tee etc and I feel like the 4hi gives me the "rescue" club factor so they should stay.

But do I keep my 4w or maybe sell it and get a 5w,7w or maybe even 9w to bring something else with a bit more loft for fairway shots?

Last edited:
Had a free "assessment" lesson on Tuesday evening.

Was interesting - absolutely a sales pitch, I only hit ~15 7 iron shots, but good to see what the pro would teach, if there was anything that he immediately identified etc. Turns out I have zero hip mobility, I'm getting barely any turn; that combined with the "flick" I have through impact (I play a lot of hockey), means I typically get a lot of loft - I'm having to move the ball position to ensure I get better contact - essentially fixing a fault with a fault.

Got recommended a standard "plan", around a couple of lessons a month and plenty of practice time (scheduled practice sessions at the range, with supervision by a pro). Thinking about it, but also looking at my own club to see what they could offer. Still trying to get @Maccy to join :p

@Biz.Kid09 the ball flight is something to consider. If your local course is wind impacted, a 7w will have a higher ball flight than a hybrid which can cut through the wind better.

If you’re looking for softer landing with a higher flight and wind isn’t a factor, the wood would work for that.

@Biz.Kid09 the ball flight is something to consider. If your local course is wind impacted, a 7w will have a higher ball flight than a hybrid which can cut through the wind better.

If you’re looking for softer landing with a higher flight and wind isn’t a factor, the wood would work for that.
Yeah very good point, I wouldn't say particularly windy. It may be be a case of picking up a 7w perhaps and on the day making the call of what I go out with.

Yeah very good point, I wouldn't say particularly windy. It may be be a case of picking up a 7w perhaps and on the day making the call of what I go out with.

yeah - I swap around my 7w and 3iron depending on the course/day.... 7w generally pointless on windy days/links courses.... But softer courses with some longer par 4 and 5's - I'll take 7w....

As I’m going back to my D9’s, my gap wedge is 49 degrees, I ordered a 54 and 58 to complete my 13 clubs atm.

Went for the Cleveland RTX4 wedges, great price new from CHG. need to get them lengthened a touch but no rush for that atm.

Back
Top Bottom