Golf Thread

Soldato
In random question of the day what glove do people use? I've used almost exclusively the Under Armour Medal glove but recently been taking it off more during the round/for chipping and putting but finding their splitting fairly quickly, maybe I just need to use a bigger size...
Always been a Titleist glove guy....

I'm fairly "gentle" on the gloves, max 2 a season. I have a few other's that I've tried that I keep for practice range/mucking around with.

Soldato
Well, just in from the range, terrible! Came home and decided while the rain held off, to risk my net for an hour, and man, sooo comfortable there!

Big difference when I implement what i was taught, not easy but man..what a difference.

My control is far better (less dispersion) and yardages, even mis hits were carrying a ton more!

Just changing aspects of your swing! If only it was easy!

Soldato
Also, a quick note, you guys need to try the TaylorMade “Inc” Speedsoft balls!

They perform well, and i hit one, just one ball tonight in the net and I cannot believe how well it has held up! Really good value!

Soldato
Well should be a fun few days for me.... Burning through the brownie points with the wife!!

Local Open comp tomorrow... Then Sunday playing Robert the Bruce course at Turnberry - https://www.turnberry.co.uk/king-robert-the-bruce

Then Thursday evening - Alisa Course at Turnberry - https://www.turnberry.co.uk/ailsa-golf-course-scotland

Normally £300 a person for Alisa this time of year - cost me £30 a head with 3 mates... Friend I know has conporate connections there and 4 ball needs used by 31st May. Happy to help out and use it!! :p :p

Soldato
Need some advice here guys..

My current irons, (D9 Forged) from 5-GW.. is that my gap wedge is 49 degrees and my three wedges are 50/54/58..

Should i look at changing the wedges to 52/56/60??

I feel the gapping between the GW and the 50 are not far enough apart and therefore kinda redundant??

Soldato
Need some advice here guys..

My current irons, (D9 Forged) from 5-GW.. is that my gap wedge is 49 degrees and my three wedges are 50/54/58..

Should i look at changing the wedges to 52/56/60??

I feel the gapping between the GW and the 50 are not far enough apart and therefore kinda redundant??

nope - use GW, and drop your 50.....

So effectively your 49/54/58..... ZERO point in changing plus the costs. Also you don't need 4 wedges at 49/52/54/58

I play GW (50) from my set, vokey 54/58.

If you are super anal, you could get the GW bent to 50.

Soldato
Bit the bullet. Changed my wedges, got a cracking price over the phone..

Got the same Cleveland ones, love them, just in different lofts..

haha - just read your next post - too late I guess...

You still don't need 5 wedges in total

PW, GW then 52/56/60.... No amateur needs 5 wedges... :p

Soldato
@booyaka i was thinking of dropping the 50 mate.. but I got the 3 on a deal so I thought **** it I will go for it and see how I get on.

Plus I will recoup most of the money back with these, as they are pretty much mint atm.

Associate
Been a couple of weeks sense I last posted on here. Still being relatively new to golf I have been trying a few of my local courses hoping to find one that I would like to join next year, there is one that I have played a few more times.

Norfolk premier Golf what I scored 128 on my first time playing. I definitely have seen some progression in my game here scoring 128, 117, 115 and 112 my last time round.

Last two weeks Iv have played at couple of different coarse, 9 holes at Mattishall what had the longest par 5 in the country at one point, that par 5 ruined my scorecard, scoring 65.

Yesterday I played Wensum Valley, on there Wensum coarse definitely the longest coarse Iv played yet and scoring 120. My front 9 wasn’t that great but my back 9 was definitely better. Lost a few balls to water at the bottom half of the coarse.

Soldato
Pfft, it's all about the blade! :p

Got a Wilson Infinite Windy City, beautiful, the poor mans Scotty Cameron Newport 2 :cry:

In random question of the day what glove do people use? I've used almost exclusively the Under Armour Medal glove but recently been taking it off more during the round/for chipping and putting but finding their splitting fairly quickly, maybe I just need to use a bigger size...
Kirkland or GX are very good for me and durable I used to split the thinner ones on the heel pad all the time

Associate
I tried comparing my Kirkland 52 vs my buddy’s Callaway Jaws Raw 52 on course. Man I was shocked by the difference.

The CW has a much better shaft and you can feel the head position a lot better through the swing. Off centre hits on the Kirkland were way less forgiving than the CW for 110yard shots.

Turf interaction is better on the CW. The room for error on the Kirkland is lower as you can thin or dig easier. Overall I was impressed with the CW.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played twice yesterday, first off the usual round and then I went to the local club on the way home as they've restarted the roll-ups.

First round went well overall, I feel like after the lesson/range practice I'm a bit 'lost' in my swing right now but thanks to that course being wide open everywhere I could live with being a bit scruffy off the tee etc. Short game though was solid, some lovely chipping (a couple almost dropped) led to sub-2 putts per hole average which is always nice.

The roll-up wasn't so good :p Did use a buggy for the first round and the roll-up was only 9 holes but after driving and then waiting, I was put in the last group, felt a bit stiff which never helps, add in the scruffiness of the day on a course that is much tighter/requires more accuracy and it just wasn't a good time... But again, short game very solid, actually a 1.6 putt average but picked up on two holes so 11 putts over 7 holes, small sample size.

Been a couple of weeks sense I last posted on here. Still being relatively new to golf I have been trying a few of my local courses hoping to find one that I would like to join next year, there is one that I have played a few more times.

Norfolk premier Golf what I scored 128 on my first time playing. I definitely have seen some progression in my game here scoring 128, 117, 115 and 112 my last time round.

Last two weeks Iv have played at couple of different coarse, 9 holes at Mattishall what had the longest par 5 in the country at one point, that par 5 ruined my scorecard, scoring 65.

Yesterday I played Wensum Valley, on there Wensum coarse definitely the longest coarse Iv played yet and scoring 120. My front 9 wasn’t that great but my back 9 was definitely better. Lost a few balls to water at the bottom half of the coarse.

That's some really good progression :)

Sounds like Norfolk Premier Golf is the easiest course there? The course I've played at the most is Woodlands in Bristol which is a very easy course, think that helps as a newbie/high-handicapper, golf is hard enough already at that point that playing hard courses was a slog at times. Now I'm a tiny bit better I enjoy harder courses much more...

Soldato
I tried comparing my Kirkland 52 vs my buddy’s Callaway Jaws Raw 52 on course. Man I was shocked by the difference.

The CW has a much better shaft and you can feel the head position a lot better through the swing. Off centre hits on the Kirkland were way less forgiving than the CW for 110yard shots.

Turf interaction is better on the CW. The room for error on the Kirkland is lower as you can thin or dig easier. Overall I was impressed with the CW.

What's the price comparison like? :p I'd assume a single current gen Callaway wedge to basically cost about the same as the Kirkland set :cry: But obviously you can get older models even brand new for a nice saving, and second hand obvs.

Associate
Played twice yesterday, first off the usual round and then I went to the local club on the way home as they've restarted the roll-ups.

First round went well overall, I feel like after the lesson/range practice I'm a bit 'lost' in my swing right now but thanks to that course being wide open everywhere I could live with being a bit scruffy off the tee etc. Short game though was solid, some lovely chipping (a couple almost dropped) led to sub-2 putts per hole average which is always nice.

The roll-up wasn't so good :p Did use a buggy for the first round and the roll-up was only 9 holes but after driving and then waiting, I was put in the last group, felt a bit stiff which never helps, add in the scruffiness of the day on a course that is much tighter/requires more accuracy and it just wasn't a good time... But again, short game very solid, actually a 1.6 putt average but picked up on two holes so 11 putts over 7 holes, small sample size.

That's some really good progression :)

Sounds like Norfolk Premier Golf is the easiest course there? The course I've played at the most is Woodlands in Bristol which is a very easy course, think that helps as a newbie/high-handicapper, golf is hard enough already at that point that playing hard courses was a slog at times. Now I'm a tiny bit better I enjoy harder courses much more...

I have been happy with my progress so far, Norfolk premier is a young coarse, with wide open fairways. All the trees between each hole are young saplings. The 8th and 17th holes are the most challenging holes.

Now comparing that to Marishall which is a well established coarse and all the fairways are narrow requiring some accuracy off the tee something that me and friend both struggle to have consistency with.

Yesterday at Wensum, was a really nice experience a struggle at times. But was playing with a friend with a low handicap, which was good as I learnt a lot of him whilst playing.

Associate
One to forget this morning (27pts). Drew the first tee time so no warm up on the range and it showed. Mistake after mistake, very poor iron striking. At one point I was worried I may run out of balls :p

Somewhat recovered on the back nine scoring 16pts, including back to back pars on 16 and 17 (nice up and down on the later). A few puts left in the jaws etc. Definitely in need of some midweek practice.

Edit: just seen the results. Chap I played with the past couple of weeks, playing off 7, shot gross level par (71) for 43pts, including five birdies. Must be gutted to have lost to someone in my group who was off 32 and scored 45pts (they have been as low as 14 in the past but just coming back to golf after a hiatus)!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well..just getting into some sort of rhythm..anddd my iPad took a ****! Too hot! :(

Will need to keep it in the shade for the sessions, it was real hot but has always been fine beforehand.

Oh well, shade it is.

Soldato
Local open today - Lost all ability to hit the ball....

Literally nearly walked after 8 holes and got a beer, watch the football instead.

Dreadful - NR for me today.

Just bizarre...

Back
Top Bottom