Golf Thread

Soldato
Playing off 22. Your handicap must have come down a fair bit, good stuff :)

It has, kinda, but also an 'easy' course :p

Course Rating 66 for a par 70, slope 115

Started the year at 32.3 iirc, currently 26.2, has been down to 25.5 a bit ago. My aim for the year is <25 so on target to say the least so pretty happy with that :)

Monthly Medal Played today. First ever real comp.

Nerves got the better of me for the first 3 holes and quickly found myself + 5 :(
Soon got into my stride and finished the front 9 Par 35/42

Onto the back 9 and started strong. following holes went 4/5, 5/5, 3/3, 4/5, 4/4 and was + 2 after 5 holes. Then disaster struck
Monster Par 5 at 545y. Didn't catch my driver and shot it off right into a bush 200y down the fairway. Unplayable taken. To then chuck my 3rd shot straight back into the same bush.
Basically I finished 5/10 :eek:. Just astonishing.
Then onto a simple Par 4 at 340y. took 5i to leave a nice 140y. Left the face open and pushed right to be blocked out by a tree. Chipped out and into a pitch mark. Managed to get it out but into a bunker.
Basically walked off with a big fat 8. 9 shots dropped in two holes. Confidence properly gone.

I then managed Par/Par/Bogy on last 3 holes to finish the back 9 37/50. Overall 72/92 for a Net 79.
Absolutely gutted with this two holes but that's golf. onto the next round and the next comp :cool:

That's golf :p But also adding the pressure of comps changes things I find, done a fair few now but even still it adds that pressure onto the mental side and golf is hard enough without that :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Back from the secound round, played much better today, 94 gross for a 72 net. Combined over two days was 151, think that got me around 8th place out of 41 entries.

A junior golfer won it with 73+74 for 147 net, so I was only 4 shots back, he's a solid player though, played with him in the medal a few weeks back and think he's about a 10 handicap and can't be much more than 13/14 I think.

Feeling a bit "what could've been", I shot the same 94 in the medal a bit back so can definitely do it, and today was just solid throughout. Still aim was to make 'the cut', can't complain about that and then put in a decent secound round so good times.

Associate
Had a shocker today but still just scraped into double figures (52/47). As yesterday made a seven at the 1st. A poor lay up left me in the left hand rough in-between 9i and PW. Went for the 9i but hit it way too soft and straight into the ditch short of the green :rolleyes: Then compounded that with a seven at the very benign par 4 2nd, approach pushed right then a poor three putt.

Highlight was a two on the 4th, couldn't have hit my 7i any better to a front pin. One of my playing partners had also hit a beauty. Had to get the driver out to measure for closest to pin, around 8ft, but deceptively an earlier shot just had it by a few inches. Of course someone in the last group out behind us then put one closer.

Made another nine on the long par 5 5th after shanking my third into the water down the right. That hole really has the hodou over me at the moment. Rest of the round just scruffy everywhere, driver aside - another 80% + FIR. 38 putts.

Need to spend some time this week practicing on the range. On the plus side looking at my last five rounds at home. 86% FIR, 19% GIR and 35 putts per round. Which illustrates just how well I've been driving it lately and my handicap is the lowest it's been at 23.1 :)

One of my playing partners won. Shot his best ever round on the Cathedral course by four shots. Gross 81, 64 net including two birdies and a wonderful putting display.

Last edited:
Associate
So golf and I are friends again. Posted my best score of 86 yesterday. Couple of holes on the back 9 I would have liked back which would have made a low 80s.

Cracking day for it, as well...

53764877537_313ba7c3f2_k.jpg

Soldato
Won my pairs Matchplay today. Played really well for a change. 3 and 2

3&2 win again in the foursomes for me tonight as well!.... into the next round.

tough start giving away 4 shots in first 6 holes but after that we won 5 on the bounce to take control. They did get it back to 1 down, but then my partner hit a stunner of a 6 iron to about 7 ft on the 190 yard par 3 14th....

I've TOTALLY lost driver at the moment - can barely find the club face.... Not a great time to have that happen with a weekend away at Slaley Hall this Fri/Sat then club champ knockouts next week

Soldato
Out for morning golf today, good bit was chipping, trying to open the face a bit and even used my 60 degree a couple of times as I've struggled to get it stopping. Hit a lovely 60 degree on the 3rd, came up short of a bunker with the flag just the other side and hit a really nice chip, went nice and high and stopped within 2-3 foot, almost went in but ended up a tap-in par, good times.

Bad bit, like booyaka, driver is nowhere... On the 2nd which is the only real driving hole on that course, sometimes you can use it on the 6th and 9th if it's working but often not worth it, first drive I pull-hooked into the abyss and second I managed a thinned-slice that was at least playable.

Focussed so much on my irons recently I think I've let Driver practice slip a bit, maybe something to do on Thursday, kinda thinking a range session then.

Soldato
Picked up a killer slice recently, coming from a soft draw and just can't figure it out. I'm the kind of guy that needs to be able to visualise it to do it, and just can't wrap my head around it. I'm just leaving the club face wide open, on the downswing the bottom of my left hand is leading, so I'm swiping across it like a sword.

And as much as I know that, I just can't seem to counter it. Even taking a super strong grip, I still leave it open. And even the feeling of closing it crazy still fades... Time for lesson.

Have had random spots like this where I feel I know how to cure it, but just can't.

Soldato
If I start slicing it from an open club face. I actively attempt to twist my hands massively closed half way down the back swing.. If it blocks left, I'm over the top, if it draws then winner if its hooks then I closed them too hard and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Picked up a killer slice recently, coming from a soft draw and just can't figure it out. I'm the kind of guy that needs to be able to visualise it to do it, and just can't wrap my head around it. I'm just leaving the club face wide open, on the downswing the bottom of my left hand is leading, so I'm swiping across it like a sword.

And as much as I know that, I just can't seem to counter it. Even taking a super strong grip, I still leave it open. And even the feeling of closing it crazy still fades... Time for lesson.

Have had random spots like this where I feel I know how to cure it, but just can't.

Lessons definitely a worthy investment mate.

Soldato
Lessons definitely a worthy investment mate.
I've certainly had lessons before, I just seem to slip back into my own way of doing things... As much as I've been told to do it a certain way, it breaks down over time.

I think it's as I've always been told to have the right palm to the sky in the backswing, like holding a tray of drinks, I think I just keep my hand in that posture on the swing down.

Interestingly, I'm not bad with woods, as I do release the clubhead earlier to overtake the hands, just with irons when I try to push my hands ahead of the ball, I don't uncock. I think it's just a case of trying to find the right feel again!

Associate
I've just put together some footage of my golf course, went out 6.30am this morning with my son who was super happy to come with me. Nice little stroll around the course with nobody around, then home ready to take the kids to school.

Finally found my driver swing, had a lesson awhile back, and ever since then, i've managed to really turn my shoulders without turning my hips loads like I normally do. Also trying to stay more centered the entire time, has really helped bring my drive back into the mix. Drove off the back of the green on the 18th a couple of days ago too!

Last edited:
Soldato
If I start slicing it from an open club face. I actively attempt to twist my hands massively closed half way down the back swing.. If it blocks left, I'm over the top, if it draws then winner if its hooks then I closed them too hard and adjust accordingly.
I get this occasionally and find it comes down to really committing with hips and weight transfer on the follow through. The thought of heavy slice or hook sometimes prevents this and I become too cautious when really all it needs is a proper rip and all comes back into line. Consciously trying to do things with hands is a recipe for disaster timing wise imo.

Associate
I've just put together some footage of my golf course, went out 6.30am this morning with my son who was super happy to come with me. Nice little stroll around the course with nobody around, then home ready to take the kids to school.
Nicely done. That's a very compact course, I note a couple of the tee's had you going off over the proceeding green! A lot of par 3's and I bet that tree on the 5th is annoying, unless you have the length to drive straight over it.

Soldato
I'm trying!

Take a look at YouTube vids on early extension.. It might help you a little. Your right leg and posture is rising and not turning towards your left hip..

Take that as you will, I do it all the time as well but it's something I always have to work on..

Last edited:
Associate
Thought this was an interesting video I don't think I've heard the downswing explained in these terms before but it makes so much sense when you have a club in your hand and can feel it for yourself. Seems like a good way to counter getting steep / over the top etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like Danny Maude but for me, his videos are getting worse and worse. That one in particular has so much unnecessary descriptions and explanations that I have no idea what drill he's actually trying to describe.

Back
Top Bottom