Golf Thread

Soldato
Using GolfNow I booked a tee time for this afternoon at Haydock GC, normal price would have £50, but GolfNow had an offer for £27 each. Never having any issues before I didn’t read the booking conditions for the course.
I arrived first and went into the clubhouse to book in and to have a chat, apparently we had to either carry our bags or have winter wheels on our trolley’s, or hire a trolley for £4. Then I was told we needed a mat to play off the fairways , £10 each, or pick up the ball and play from the first cut. We weren’t happy, but rules are rules and we decided to play elsewhere, £54 down the pan.
So, we headed to Berrington GC, played there a few times before and because it was now 2pm we paid only £20 each, we knew that playing 18 before the light failed was going to be tough, we were lucky because there was no one ahead of us.
Majority of the tees were from winter tees, so holes were shorter than from the tee boxes. I was a bit tentative because of my last round, but I had a fairly decent 14 holes, driver was straight and true, iron play was fairly good. Tried a different putting style today, a bit like Tommy Fleetwood, and my putting was pretty solid, too only scoring two three putts. Apart from a 9 on one hole I came off after 14 holes scoring 71, confident in the knowledge I would have broken 100 for the first time this season. Far more positivity from my round than of late and I can’t wait to get out again next weekend and hopefully continue where I left off today.

Associate
Got out in the par 3 course this afternoon. Wasn't as wet as I was expecting. A few puddles in the usual spot, greens very soft but in good condition. Played OK, as much as anything just nice to be back on a course :)

Associate
Played at The Vale - Wales National Course, yesterday, with the golf society.

I won, with 39 stableford points. Played a pretty solid game, apart from a terrible 1st hole due to the conditions.
1st hole, smashed driver dead straight down the middle into the fairway. We were the final group to go out with no one behind us. Spent about 5 whole minutes looking for the plugged ball, but it was no where to be found, that set the tone for the next 30 minutes of my round. 3 off the tee, ended up with a 6 on the 1st hole, annoyed the hell out of me. Next hole was a long and very narrow par5, so decided to play that as a par 6, since it was 180y to the first very narrow section. It's a par73 course, 6.6k yards and I shot 88 which I was super happy with.

At one point, it felt like I couldn't play bad if I tried. My driving wasn't great, but I still managed to get up and down more frequently than normal and putted great.

Associate
Played today at my club where I’m a member, Forest Hill in Leicester

Course was boggy but overall for the time of year good, shot 79 so had a decent round!

Not really a fan of winter golf as it’s cold and wet, but still try to play every week to keep the handicap and maintain good form for next year !

Soldato
Played with the society today and it was a bit of an odd round, overall the course was good but they'd closed the 5th, 6th and 7th holes...

We ended up playing the 14th between the 4th and 8th (and again later obviously) because of the course layout and after the 18th we played the 1st and 18th again to make it to 18 holes... Very weird and Garmin didn't really seem happy with it but hey :p

Overally I played very averagely, scored 32 points, 16 each side, just meh, nothing spectacular but no real horrors either, so not too unhappy.

It was pretty rainy/drissly/miserable all around though. Kinda hoping to get a round in for a comp (fri-mon) tomorrow but got a sneaking suspicion my local will be closed, they were closed Friday and open yesterday/today but we're due yet more rain overnight.

Roll on 4th December and my trip to Marrakech :D

Soldato
Using GolfNow I booked a tee time for this afternoon at Haydock GC, normal price would have £50, but GolfNow had an offer for £27 each. Never having any issues before I didn’t read the booking conditions for the course.
I arrived first and went into the clubhouse to book in and to have a chat, apparently we had to either carry our bags or have winter wheels on our trolley’s, or hire a trolley for £4. Then I was told we needed a mat to play off the fairways , £10 each, or pick up the ball and play from the first cut. We weren’t happy, but rules are rules and we decided to play elsewhere, £54 down the pan.

Did you not get a refund?

To be fair - a lot of courses are like that at this time of year. Play from the 1st cut is fine for me. Not sure why you would just leave the course and loose £54.

Soldato
sorted all the balls, gloves and the accessories. had no choice to bring in and sort, as the garage door bust on the cable! :mad: ]]

so until that is fixed, all garage valuables inside for now!

decided to take a shot of the new clubs, while they look good before the range / course playing! :(

bYqbTVI.jpg

Soldato
First round in 5 weeks due to flooded courses in the area drove down to Worksop and it was incredibly firm compared to my local courses. Played to my handicap too which was a surprise, enjoyed getting back out.
Hope to drop a few shots again this year need to keep putting in the work!

Associate
Played for the first time in about 4 weeks on Friday seeing as we finally got a break from the rain! Played a course called St Michael's that I'd only played once before so wasn't expecting too much but finished with a 97. Had 3 or 4 holes that were compounded by mistake after mistake so should have brought the score down by at least 5 or 6 shots. Pulled quite a few irons which was annoying as it's not normally something I do.

Got stuck with the early morning frost so greens were rapid and if your approach hit the green, it was sailing right off the back.

Also didn't help the fact that the course is only a mile or so from Leuchars army base and of course they were out playing in the fighter jets for half an hour and were flying really low down - fairly certain they were doing it on purpose to put all us golfers off!

Soldato
American Golf on the A20 near Sidcup.

Went in looking for a Scottie Newport and although I was advised against (simply that they are so expensive and I haven't used a blade for nigh on 30 years) I did buy one. They had already told me that they had no chance of getting a different grip but happily blew off the factory grip, cut down the shaft and refitted the factory grip. Can't fault the service I got or the new putter. Only faults are the person who is trying to use it!

Soldato
The Newport is so nice...

I was ready to buy one but after trying a whole bunch of putters again I went with my head and got the TaylorMade Spider GT Rollback for half the price, cheaper + mallet. But I still want the Newport, it's gonna happen at some point :p

Soldato
The Newport is so nice...

I was ready to buy one but after trying a whole bunch of putters again I went with my head and got the TaylorMade Spider GT Rollback for half the price, cheaper + mallet. But I still want the Newport, it's gonna happen at some point :p

That's mine.... 16 years old - NEVER changing.

Man of Honour
I have wanted a Newport for a long time but just haven't plucked up the courage to get one. I currently use an Odyssey XG #1, which I can use well and my concern is spending a lot on the Newport and not being able to use it as well as my current 17 year old putter :( Of course I dont need one but the draw of a shiny new putter is always so tempting!

Back
Top Bottom