Golf Thread

Soldato
Bit windy out today :p

Played Friday, was meh, only just broke 100.

Out again today and that wind was kinda crazy at times... On the 5th I hit an 8 iron 146 yards then on the 15th I hit an 8 iron 86 yards. Both were pretty solid hits for me.

Today was basically the definition of inconsistent, 2 birdies (which I think is my most in one round) + 4 pars which is good then 3 triples and 1 quad bogey... Overall a 93 which is kinda my best round in a while, it's not been great :p

Soldato
Brutal day out there today at Dundonald... 50mph winds...

Hardest conditions I've played in for years.

2 ball stableford - both balls counting today and tomorrow at Barassie

I scored 21 points and mate score 18.... (after only 4 points on front 9)

Started well but you know when you get to the 162 yard par 4, 4th hole, and you have to hit drivers it's going to be a very tough day...

Hit 5 iron at 132 yard par 3 11th.... But then PW at 145 yard 6th.... Yardage meant nothing today.

Every par 4 into the wind was basically a par 5.... Literally zero chance getting home in 2.

Overall I think 59 points was the best team score from some 50 teams today.... So no one even close to handicap/par....

18th had longest drive by someone - straight downwind (only about 2 holes all day like this) - measured at 365 yards!!! :laugh:

Associate
Wouldn't mind some of McCarthy's putting. I was pleased with 35 for my round earlier including a couple of one puts for par. He's had 91 all week tying the PGA tour record!

Associate
Wouldn't mind some of McCarthy's putting. I was pleased with 35 for my round earlier including a couple of one puts for par. He's had 91 all week tying the PGA tour record!
Amazing back 9. Putting has been unbelievable all week

Oh dear, best putting display ever then hits it in the water from 100 yards on 1st Playoff hole. Bhatia seems to have injured his shoulder. Taking a time out, seems odd after hitting two shots since the injury

Last edited:
Associate
After having lessons with the coach there for a while now I've finally decided to book myself in for a round at Little Aston, one of the best courses in the West Midlands (apparently).

At £105 a round, it'll be the most I've ever paid to play anywhere. Really looking forward to it though. It's a Harry Vardon design so bunkers galore with a lot of long par 4s.

Associate
Matthew Wolff's impact is on a different level than anyone else I swear. The sound his clubs make at contact are just violent. I think he was 8 iron into 200yds last night on one of the holes and there wasn't much wind.

Drives were well over 340yards. etc. Just nonsense numbers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I now have an official England Golf handicap of 22.1.
2024's target is to get that into the teens!
19.3 for me, after a terrible round put me up from 18.4 :eek:

Played on Friday, broke the shaft on my 2 iron while warming up - frustrating as it's a great club for keeping the ball under the wind.
Medal on Saturday, net 73, put me in 4th in Div 2, so pretty happy with that. The wind was brutal though, tee shot carried 290yards downwind, stopped dead at 200 into wind!

Soldato
Bit of a quandary today.

About 6 months ago I broke the shaft on my 2 iron. Took it into the Pro Shop, they were happy to replace the shaft with a stiffer flex, cost me £100. On friday however, I broke the shaft AGAIN. Got a call from the Pro Shop today, told it would be £50 to replace - Ping had advised that it wasn't under warranty, as the first shaft replacement was with an ex-demo shaft that was over a year old in the first place. Because of this, Ping made a goodwill gesture of 50% off.

I'm a bit annoyed at this, as:

1. I wasn't advised that it was an ex-demo shaft they fitted first time around, at what is apparently full price (£100, based on 50% discount being £50 now).
2. It's broken within about 6-7 months.

Do we think this is worth arguing? No poor play on my part, it's not like I've been hammering it into the mats or anything like that. Thoughts?

Edit: ignore above, the club got me confused with someone else, so replacement shaft is under warranty, no cost.

Last edited:
Associate
I've booked myself into a Gears 3D Golf Swing Analysis, with pressure plates.

I'm a big techy and this is just some fun for me, even if it's pricey - it's gonna be cool to have 2 coaches talk to me about where my pressure and timing is out of sync to get me a more optimized swing, for speed. Cannot wait! 16th May after I get back from hols.

Soldato
well, popped into my local Aberdeen American Golf store, ended up talking to the manager for about an hour! :eek: As my "fitter" was off today.

We were talking about yardages etc, they have a GC quad for there testing, and I politely asked if it wouldn't be out of the question for my to bring my ST+ and compare what's going on? He say that would be "interesting" and so will phone up in a week or two, book my hour fitting slot and take my ST along!

Plus, I hate to say it, but I really want the new TM 790's. :( they are not intimidating at all and look absolutely gorgeous.

Soldato
Round 2 in the comp today with my mate over Barassie Links (another open qualifying venue)

Almost no wind today compare to 50mph in round 1 at Dundonald. Played better between us - probably finish around mid pack out of 90 pairs...

Feel very very "lost" with my swing at the moment - very little feel for where the club head is on the way back and some of the ball striking over last 2 days has been very poor.

did have a chuckle however at how "random" golf is.

Par 5, 15th hole - 520 or so yards. I hit a massive slice into some scrub ground on the right of the fairway - sitting ok, went to hit 3 wood, topped it 70/80 yards back into the middle of the fairway. Left 175 to flag, hit an horrible thin/toe 6 iron... which barely left the ground, ran all the way up to about 10ft, and I holed the putt for a birdie 4.

My mate - hit a beautiful high draw about 280 from the tee, hit lovely 3 wood onto the front of the green, 60ft putt to about 5ft, missed the 5ft putt - walks off with par 5....

Literally disgusting 3 shots from me and I get the birdie..... 100% the definition of "no pictures on a scorecard"

Soldato
After having lessons with the coach there for a while now I've finally decided to book myself in for a round at Little Aston, one of the best courses in the West Midlands (apparently).

At £105 a round, it'll be the most I've ever paid to play anywhere. Really looking forward to it though. It's a Harry Vardon design so bunkers galore with a lot of long par 4s.
When are you thinking of playing there?

Back
Top Bottom