Golf Thread

Soldato
Managed to get the weekend comp in today as I'm busy tomorrow. Net 63 - best summer comp result ever so I'm delighted. I'm trending in the right way for sure. Gross 78 is my first under 80 in a competition.

Your getting sliced tomorrow in handicap....

You'd also get shot at my club with a net 63 :cry: :cry:

Associate
Lost another ball today on the 5th fairway of the Tower course. Second time in as many rounds :mad: Flushed driver, picked up the flight but lost it on its way down. It was definitely tracking to land nicely in the fairway but get there and nothing to be found :confused:.

Went up and down the fairway a few times, nothing. Genuinely can't work it out, don't think it was plugged as not soft enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your getting sliced tomorrow in handicap....

You'd also get shot at my club with a net 63 :cry: :cry:

I feel a bit sick :D 1.7 drop from one round. Shows how much of a dog I was playing last year.

IMG-3190.jpg

I had a look back at last year and 66 net won the comp but the conditions are relatively easy at the moment so scoring is good.

Last edited:
Associate
Lost another ball today on the 5th fairway of the Tower course. Second time in as many rounds :mad: Flushed driver, picked up the flight but lost it on its way down. It was definitely tracking to land nicely in the fairway but get there and nothing to be found :confused:.

Went up and down the fairway a few times, nothing. Genuinely can't work it out, don't think it was plugged as not soft enough.
It's horrible when that happens. I'm a very high handicap player, and there's no better feeling than marmalising a drive straight, true and far. It quickly becomes the worst feeling when you then cannot find your best shot.

You can accept it in the rough, but the fairway is galling. I've found an app which claims to use a blue filter to help find lost balls for about 99p. I almost certain it's a rip off...but 99p seems worth the risk.

Soldato
well...back from my fitting. guy was top notch. more of a lesson than a fitting! :cry:

clubs left with them, new mid size grips (from standard), butts in the utility wood and my wedges. taking in my putter when I collect the irons, as its 33" length, which I bought on purpose but was advised that back issues and posture etc could be an issue. which is true, I already have a bad back so might get a new grip and length on that.

Soldato
Poor 83 today.... Course playing very long at the moment - overnight rain and every tee was right at the max/back today for the 1st time this year. Adds around another 40/50 yards on 6 of the par 4's.

Struggling with 3w/7w at the moment... Just weirdly "topping" them - no other clubs like that... Odd one.

Out 40, couple of pars at 10 & 11, but then dreadful 6 bogies and a double at the last to end with....

On to next week....

Associate
Had one of those rounds where I couldn't understand what was right or wrong. 89 5 over course HC with 8 pars, all over the place at times. Still working on the new swing, hope to see improvements soon.

Soldato
Won my singles Matchplay game the other day, and won my Pairs Matchplay today, but times I've been grinding and playing crap and been down on the 14th or 15th and somehow I've managed to win...
Today I missed a 4 footer to put us 2 down and 3 to play and then I won the last 3 holes..

I'm terrible under pressure so not sure how but somehow.

Associate
This mornings comp, which it turns out I wasn't eligible to pay my dues and win any potential prizes yet as it was my first, went well. Probably knowing there was nothing at stake beyond my handicap helped. Shot a new PB of 93 gross (68 net) from the whites on the Cathedral, which would have won it by a shot! Still, just happy I finally put a round together which I felt was representative of the golf I'm capable of playing :) Just need to do it on a regular basis and keep improving that handicap. Thought it would be coming down after today but just looked in the England Golf app and the score is there but showing as non-counting despite being the best of the eight total cards I've submitted :confused:

Just played really solid all around despite a couple of poor shot selections and a drop from GUR where I should have gone back onto the fairway rather than right into the rough. Would have been a real lights out round without those mistakes. Driving was super solid, 12/14 fairways hit plus a couple I hit on the longer par 3's where I made the green on one and just long on the other. 36 putts total (3x three putts), which included some very nice two putts from range. 46 out 47 in, which given the front nine is nearly 500 yards longer....:p Onto to breaking 90 next.

Edit: HCP down to 23.3 :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Out for the round today, same course as Friday and approached it in a similar way, just keep myself calm and hitting the ball at like 70-75% 'effort', or feels like that at least.

I've started taking my glove off between shots (and leaving it off for putts and chips), previously I used to just leave it on the entire time. It's almost becoming part of my routine now, I get to the ball and check my watch for yardage (if needed), then put my glove on whilst I think about what to do, grab a club and shoot before taking it off as I walk away. Even got today like that act of taking it off almost seemed like a mental thing putting the shot I just hit behind me if it didn't quite go to plan.

Shot an 86 overall, tying my best ever round, 1 birdie, 7 pars, 5 bogeys and 5 double or more. 3 of the latter were just legit doubles, annoying but definitely got some in me so not the end of the world. The other two though were a capped 7 on the par 4 14th and a pickup 8 on the 16th. Both started from hitting a shot just short and into trouble, 14th I was between a full 56 or a very soft 48, went for the latter and didn't give it anywhere near enough and it dropped into the water. The 16th was similar but this time between a full 48 and my PW, again picked the latter and pulled it slightly into a bunker where it sat right under the lip and I failed miserably from there.

Annoying but both times bounced back nicely, par'd the 15th which is a tricky par 3 with a very undulating green and then birdied the 17th which is a par 3 with a downhill shot to an island green (and I left it in the water short on Friday!).

Out at Thornbury tomorrow, played it once before back in February last year, should be good :)

Soldato
This mornings comp, which it turns out I wasn't eligible to pay my dues and win any potential prizes yet as it was my first, went well. Probably knowing there was nothing at stake beyond my handicap helped. Shot a new PB of 93 gross (68 net) from the whites on the Cathedral, which would have won it by a shot! Still, just happy I finally put a round together which I felt was representative of the golf I'm capable of playing :)

Chichester? If so I like that course, especially the 15th or 16th with the big rocks.

PS... MyEG won't go green and show it as counting till tomorrow as they do playing conditions calculations and if the weather was abysmal and everyone across the country shot under 36 you get an extra shot I think.

Last edited:
Associate
Chichester? If so I like that course, especially the 15th or 16th with the big rocks.

PS... MyEG won't go green and show it as counting till tomorrow as they do playing conditions calculations and if the weather was abysmal and everyone across the country shot under 36 you get an extra shot I think.
Yes it's Chichester. And it is the 15th which is the signature par three with the rocks/bunker surrounding the back and left side of the green. Are you local to the area?

Soldato
Played Thornbury today and after two good rounds Golf decided to kick me in the nuts to remind me that Golf is Hard :p

It wasn't terrible really, but where the usual course has dried out nicely this was still quite boggy, although apparently Bristol area did have a downpour yesterday afternoon/evening but felt like it was more than 'just' that. Anyway, what it meant was zero run on the ball and more than a few shots where the ground is boggy/squishy felt like I couldn't swing properly/use the lower body at all.

Super fast greens too and just generally not familiar with the course, kinda remembered bits but not enough to make the right decision.

Weather was nice though, verging on hot at times!!!

Soldato
Played Saturday at Gaudet Luce in Droitwhich. Lovely course and in exceptional condition considering the rain.

Unfortunately my golf was shocking. Played like I'd never held a club before. Real dent to the confidence and good work I've been putting in. :(
Back to the drawing board

Soldato
well...I got a phone call from the fitters of my clubs, and the D9 irons are only 1/2 inch in length as apposed to 1 inch!

popped into American Golf to check that they were built for 1 inch , and yes, they were.

I have lost all confidence in AG totally now, so will be using Kings Links for all my golfing needs now.

Associate
Golfs a funny old game. Suddenly started fatting my irons yesterday and I couldn't fathom why. Probably a set up issue but man it was frustrating considering it's the first time we've been able to get any serious run out for months :rolleyes:

Soldato
Went down the range the other day and lost all ability to hit balls at all. Every iron shot went a yard off the floor and right. Pretty sure they were all coming off the hosel. Embarrassing. Ended up giving up and going home. :O I'm hoping it's one of those weird days where I'll go back and will be able to hit again.

Back
Top Bottom