Good MB & RAM for 7800X3D?

Man of Honour
What are your idle temps with the new build ? Built mine yesterday, and all went well ... until my Windows 11 Pro digital license wouldn't reactivate and "disappeared" from my MS account. MS support were useless, so bought a cheap key and cancelled Office365 sub and Game Pass in protest lol ! But anyway, back to temps ... getting mid 40's for idle/light work. High 50's / mid 60's when gaming ... and this is with a -30 in curve optimizer.

Idle temps low 40s. Gaming low 60s. Benching low 80s. Often stays in the 50s after a long period of gaming, I think because of my fan profile. Also -30.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers guys, writing from the new rig.
Need to figure out why chassis fans aren't working and cooler seems a little loud at times while updating Windows but it seems to be working otherwise.
As a note of colour, the Corsair 5000D Airflow is a chonky boy! Makes my old coolermaster HAF seem tiny by comparison at that was a pretty big case when I got it...

Soldato
Cheers guys, writing from the new rig.
Need to figure out why chassis fans aren't working and cooler seems a little loud at times while updating Windows but it seems to be working otherwise.
As a note of colour, the Corsair 5000D Airflow is a chonky boy! Makes my old coolermaster HAF seem tiny by comparison at that was a pretty big case when I got it...

Are the chassis fans plugged into the motherboard or is there a fan hub they’re plugged into?

Soldato
This is what I built using the 7800X3D. Very compact but powerful system which runs cool and quietly.

Case - Cooler Master NR200P MAX - ITX (includes the below)
  • V850 SFX GOLD 850W SFX PSU
  • 280mm CPU AIO liquid cooler
Motherboard - Asus ROG Stryx B650E-I ITX WiFi

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 6000 DDR5

GPU- nVidia RTX 4080 FE

The RX7800 XT would be a good match as well

To tweak the 7800X3D I set the Platform Thermal Throttle Limit to 75C in the BIOS. Then set the Curve Optimiser to -30 which lowers power, temps and raises the processor speed from 4850MHz to the 5050 MHz hardware limit.

That last bit may be an advanced lesson for you to research after you've built your system :)

7fZ36SE.jpg

This looks nice!

Associate
Looking online i think it has a fan controller.

This convo may help.

Make a note of which fan header on the motherboard the fan hub is connected to, then check the BIOS to see if that fan connection is not disabled. I would recommend plugging it into CPU_OPT if you can. Also be careful as some fan hubs can draw too much power from a single motherboard connector.

Soldato
Connecting the fan hub to power I get the back fan working but nor the front one.
Can you post a clear pic of the fan controller with fans connected?

This post says to connect the PWM cable to a system header, not a CPU header. (source)

First, I hope all the fans you are using on this "repeater" board are case ventilation fans, and NOT the CPU cooler ones.

What you have done sounds right. There are a few items to check.
  1. Ensure that at least one fan is plugged into the board output labelled #1. That is the ONLY output that can sent back to the mobo host header the speed of its fan, and the header needs that info.
  2. As JohnBonhamsGhost said above, ensure all fans are securely connected to their outputs.
  3. Try using another CHA_FAN header. The 1P header has some special features I don't know, so that MAY cause odd behaviour with that board.
  4. Whichever header you use, check its configuration for the MODE setting. If is has options like Voltage (or DC), PWM and automatic, set it to PWM, not other settings.
  5. IF this behaviour continues, you can try in the configuration of the header to change its "fan curve" so that at the lowest temperatures it tells the fans to run a bit faster so that they never stall.
Can't understand why so little info is available for the fan hub/splitter.

Associate
Can you post a clear pic of the fan controller with fans connected?

This post says to connect the PWM cable to a system header, not a CPU header. (source)

Can't understand why so little info is available for the fan hub/splitter.
Connecting the fan hub to power I get the back fan working but nor the front one.
I successfully installed the RX7900GRE, all that's left is hard disk and transferring files/programs.
Have you downloaded the icue software?..i'm assuming both fans connected to the pwm hub,powered by sata connector to psu and connected to fan header on mobo. does the icue software not pick up the hub?..if so, it should show the fans connected to it?

been awhile since looked at my 5000x setup and use rgb fans, so could be wrong. also think my fans were in a commander pro rather than the pwm hub, so might work differently

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you downloaded the icue software?..i'm assuming both fans connected to the pwm hub,powered by sata connector to psu and connected to fan header on mobo. does the icue software not pick up the hub?..if so, it should show the fans connected to it?

been awhile since looked at my 5000x setup and use rgb fans, so could be wrong. also think my fans were in a commander pro rather than the pwm hub, so might work differently
From what limited info i could find, i think the fan hub is just a powered fan splitter so it is still controlled by the bios.

Of course i could be wrong as i have never had a Corsiar case and thought the icue software was purely for RGB.

Associate
From what limited info i could find, i think the fan hub is just a powered fan splitter so it is still controlled by the bios.

Of course i could be wrong as i have never had a Corsiar case and thought the icue software was purely for RGB.
trying to think..i mean when open up the icue software, shows all the fans, and yeah, you can control all the rgb, but you can set fan speed curves etc, but think you may be right, don't think fan speed control is per fan so to speak, so think the software may just control the hub via the header it's plugged into..and only the rgb hub does per fan control

Associate
OP

I haven't and would prefer to avoid anything not strictly necessary... I will look at the fans again this weekend when I have time.

Back
Top Bottom