Google Begins Testing Its Augmented-Reality Glasses

Associate
If they did it so you could choose your frames, and have prescription lenses put in i'd have one!
Or if they did some kind of kit to have with your current glasses.

There was a comment on Engadget saying that google have 7 prototypes including one for people who already wear glasses. Hope this is true considering i wear specs too.

Soldato
Although it does look impressive... I don't see it taking off purely because it'll look weird :p

Show me this technology built into an eyeball and I'd be all over it :p

Soldato

Most people don't live the life of a PR/Marketing teams wet-dream vision of Balloon Rides, BMX Surfing, Shark diving etc. With thousands of attractive friends genuinely interested in your life above and beyond their own to share it all with. So I really don't see how these will impact the majority of people who'll only ever use them indoors to argue on the internet with strangers and search for silly pictures of cats to repost endlessly to people who actively hate you.

Caporegime

On one hand the potential for these things is great - on the other that video doesn't really illustrate much.

Cool video all the same but so far its like strapping a gopro cam to your head but having the ability to transmit the video and give some commands to record and take a picture.

Am quite keen to see some more AR apps and/or it being synced with an android tablet/phone.

Soldato
Cool video all the same but so far its like strapping a gopro cam to your head but having the ability to transmit the video and give some commands to record and take a picture.

So being able to start/stop video and take pictures as you please, hands free, without a big cube strapped to your head in a not-quite-POV position, doesn't illustrate much? And that's without going everything else on offer.

Oh yeah, and the fact it's 1st generation so think about where it would be in 2,3,4,5 years.

Caporegime
So being able to start/stop video and take pictures as you please, hands free, without a big cube strapped to your head in a not-quite-POV position, doesn't illustrate much?

Not really.

Its the AR side of thesed things that will be more interesting imo... not just having a voice activated camera stuck on your head.

Back
Top Bottom