Google-Motorola "X Phone" in the 2013 pipeline?

Soldato
I don't feel positive about this.
A) it probably won't release outside America for ages
B) the more meaningful hardware options that are given, the harder it will be to update the software
C) following on from b) , it may not be a nexus device.

My guess would be for a solid offering where you can customise screen size and case colour. The phone won't be a nexus and will have a shed load of sensors to allow it to predict user behaviour.

Soldato
cases probably lol

http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_images_of_color_back_covers_for_moto_x_leak-news-6317.php

:D

I haven't been following this phone too closely, are these specs still probable?

1.7GHz dual-core MSM8960 Pro processor
720p display
2GB RAM
16GB internal storage
10MP rear camera; 2MP front camera
Android 4.2.2

If this is true, do not want.

I'm guessing it's going to be around £200 ($250) from the Play store.

If the camera is decent and it has a bezel-less razr design I'll probably get it! :D

Associate
I don't feel positive about this.
A) it probably won't release outside America for ages
B) the more meaningful hardware options that are given, the harder it will be to update the software
C) following on from b) , it may not be a nexus device.

Hammer, nail and head come to mind. I think we'll have the same carry on as before in that there was no Razr HD release here for months and then no chance of the Maxx. Instead of the Razr M which would have been a good option they push the Razr i over here. Not bad but not as good as the Razr M could have been.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm currently using a Razr HD and it's a pretty reasonable phone. Stock launcher can be a little stuttery at times but it's not that bad. Better with Nova launcher. Good signal reception and excellent battery life and great build quality. So I hope they don't go all plastic on us and they do give us in the UK chance to own one of the new phones - subject to being any good in the first place ;)

Soldato
New pics. > http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Moto-X-rumor-flood-threatens-to-drown-us-as-images-of-the-rear-panel-surface_id45083#2-

So...
  • £250 from the play store (hopefully from supermarkets soon after, clubcard points at the ready! :D)
  • Customisable colours and textures, not just the back cover. (looks interesting)
  • US + UK/EU launch in Q4 (Hoping it would be Q3 but hey ho pip and dandy best make it a good one Google, unlike the N4 mess)
  • 28nm LP dual core Krait @ 1.7Ghz (better than the quad core variant, it swaps out two fairly useless cores for an integrated modem, 28nm HPm would be nice but it's too new and expensive)
  • Adreno 320 GPU (Same performance as the One/GS4 etc)
  • 2GB RAM (yes please!)
  • 720p screen (same 4.5" screen from the Atrix HD will do, it should have a similar foot print as the HOS)
  • 16GB with no SD card slot (meh)

Unknown:

• 10MP "clear pixel" camera. (No idea on that one but hope it matches flagships from last year)
  • LTE support (the latest pic has two sim card slots, this could be one LTE model for several markets or an Asian/dev phone?)
  • Android customisation. (Widgets, camera, phone and email client, nothing else please :p)
  • Proper software support. (The most important factor!!)

Soldato
So your saying apart from the potentially better camera, you could save the wait and buy a Nexus 4 now :p

This seems a bit underwhelming soo far. Good for the price but little to really excite me.

Caporegime
No idea yet, all depends on the reviews and final price :) But if it doesn't cost me much (i.e. only have to pay about £60-90 by the time I sell my S) and is at least as good as the S "overall", I'll probably jump ship!

All I can say is, don't be expecting it to directly compete with the likes of the HTC one and GS 4 in terms of "hardware overall", it will be more of a flagship device from last year afaik, it will win on the bang per buck easily though ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is by the looks of it bar the camera, it might not be as good as the Nexus 4 depending on design (which is not filling me with confidence so far).

Just have to wait and see - they are taking their sweet time.

Soldato
What the "X" phone has going for it is how much it will cost. If it packs a better camera than the N4 then it'll be a winner. The N4 is a great phone especially for the price, the added value comes from the customizations that it will offer. In essence each device will be quite unique, if Moto can throw in different types of materials used and maybe allow the user to spec their own device then it will be a bonus.

Same level of software support as a Nexus device is also important.

Caporegime
If it has:

- a better camera (better hardware than the nexus 4 but could still suck if the software optimisation is poor)
- SAMOLED screen (expecting this type of display.......)
- big battery (expect this to be a given)
- great design and build etc. quality (hit and miss with motorola)

And everything else i.e. CPU, RAM, screen res. is more or less the same as the N4

Supposedly going to be cheaper than the N4 by quite a bit..... (convert the dollars to pound.....)

And everything else is good i.e. software optimisation, support etc.

Then it is a winner in my eyes! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 Nexus and kona

If the X phone has anything close to what you've suggested then it will most definitely be a winner in many respects.

We should know soon.

Caporegime
The only thing that I don't know about is the software, if it is just stock android and not properly optimised to work with the camera hardware then I'll be slightly disappointed. For me, the software out of the box either makes or breaks the overall experience of the phone. As I said in my one S review

No point having a very nicely designed mobile with great hardware if the software is terrible to use

But for the extremely cheap price and high end 2012 specs, you really can't go wrong.

Soldato
The only thing that I don't know about is the software, if it is just stock android and not properly optimised to work with the camera hardware then I'll be slightly disappointed. For me, the software out of the box either makes or breaks the overall experience of the phone. As I said in my one S review

But for the extremely cheap price and high end 2012 specs, you really can't go wrong.

True, I'm kind of hoping that the camera app is not stock android and is modified to take advantage of the proposed 10mp camera, otherwise it's going to be the achilles heal of the device.

The only thing that really sucks about stock android is the camera app, it's so lame and basic, El Goog need to work on improving it quite a fair bit!

Indeed software out of the box does make or break a phone, not forgetting support as well! Which HTC don't know the meaning of... :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Yeah I can live with stock android as long as the camera app is vastly improved, would love for them to bring the aosp browser back and modify it to be as good as the stock sense browser or just improve chrome a **** load :p

I hope Motorola keep their slightly modified stock android skin, has a much better unified feel throughout compared to pure stock.

Indeed, hopefully support will be good and it should be considering who own Motorola!

Last edited:
Soldato
would love for them to bring the aosp browser back and modify it to be as good as the stock sense browser or just improve chrome a **** load :p

Yep, we're all waiting for Blink!

So your saying apart from the potentially better camera, you could save the wait and buy a Nexus 4 now :p

True but the Motorola should be a much more rounded device for less money. Plus I don't want no stinkin LG, how many backs has jimlad been through? :D

These leaked pics are looking very accurate now, I quite fancy a 'Android green' one :D
79w2.jpg

zax8.jpg

Supposedly going to be cheaper than the N4 by quite a bit..... (convert the dollars to pound.....)

Maybe, the similar spec 16GB N4 is £280 though and I can't see them going much lower than that.

Back
Top Bottom