Google Pixel 7/7 Pro & Pixel Watch

Associate
Have had the standard Pixel 7 for a fortnight now so thought I'd give my take and contribute to this thread.

I came from the Huawei P30 Pro which whilst it had some annoyances (auto brightness never worked, twitter vids always buffered/froze) has for the past 4 years been an exceptional device for me. Longevity the best I have ever had. Always been a 2 year upgrade man til that point.

So to be honest, this phone had big shoes to fill. Why did I get a new phone? I just fancied a change and at £419.99 I thought it to be a bit of a snip with the hopes it would last me a similar time as its predecessor.

2 week review;
Form factor and build, really good. Camera, lovely and equally is the Google experience. I l love little quirks such as alarm, it will let me choose to play something from a Spotify play list. I realise I much prefer a flat screen and it is is generally very slick. Everything just works very, very well. IMO it is the ultimate Android phone, nothing comes close. Including Huawei (obviously, in recent years) and Samsung.

Unfortunately, the cons, which are the two major things I happen to look for and I accept may well say more about the P30 Pro. The display imo is no better than what I came from while the battery is in fact for me, worse. The display I can live with as in some apps/lighting I can see a positive difference, but right now my battery is on 8%. Now I realise that is a device that has been off charge since 6:30am, but my P30 Pro would have at least 25% still going about now and that is at 4 year old! Frankly, in that respect, it was a superphone. This is not.

I still don't regret buying it for the reasons listed, but I don't think this will be lasting me longer than 2 years.

Any tips on improving the battery in particular, would be most welcome. Perhaps my expectations are just too high, but currently it has done just over 4 hours SoT. Really not much.

Soldato
So my Pixel Pro 7 battery is down to 44% with a screen on time of around 5 hours but in the System Usage it isn't screen on time that tops the chart, its the Mobile Network with 75% at 14 hours! :eek: Bizzare thing is I've been at home connected to my WiFi all this time.

Anyone else experience this?

I did force it to 4G only when I set up the phone as 5G is non existent where I live but that hasn't appeared to do anything.

Man of Honour
Is there a way to disable 5G at all? I have had a look and cannot see anything within settings for this, that is obvious at least, in fact, many options are greyed out.
Some networks don't allow you to change it in the normal settings but there is a dialer code menu that you can force it to not use 5g.

Soldato
Our two Pixel watches have been glitching/crashing recently. Mine has been fine for a few weeks but this morning I put it on charge and left it a while. When I checked if it was fully charged it shows a message "Preparing to update". I left it a while again and come back to the same message.

Forced a restart, as is the protocol (maybe once a month) and it did the usual. When it booted up it showed a white exclamation mark in a red bubble and "Error!". It has booted up fine and wants to update again, so it's back on the charger to do its thing.

Is anyone else experiencing crashing or limited functionality with their Pixel Watch?

Soldato
Our two Pixel watches have been glitching/crashing recently. Mine has been fine for a few weeks but this morning I put it on charge and left it a while. When I checked if it was fully charged it shows a message "Preparing to update". I left it a while again and come back to the same message.

Forced a restart, as is the protocol (maybe once a month) and it did the usual. When it booted up it showed a white exclamation mark in a red bubble and "Error!". It has booted up fine and wants to update again, so it's back on the charger to do its thing.

Is anyone else experiencing crashing or limited functionality with their Pixel Watch?
Same thing happened with mine around 3 weeks ago when it had a software update. Hard restart (not reset!) sorted it out but was pretty unnerving. Had another SW update this morning which installed without issue.

Associate
has any one got a new strap for the watch, the one that come with the watch is
a) slightly small, i need it to be 202mm for a comfy fit,
b) when i do wear it it give me a rash.

did try the leather strap from google, but even that was slightly small

Soldato
How are folks getting on with the Pixel 7 Pro battery life?

Don't know if I'm expecting too much from the 5000mAh battery. I can only compare it with the Poco F3 I had before. That had a 4500mHa battery and a Snapdragon 870 (7nm) and the battery stamina in that appears to be much better than the Pixel.

Is the Samsung manufacturer Tensor 2 (5nn) really that much more inefficient than a 2021 SOC manufactured on a larger node?

I get through a day without much fuss but definitely notice I'm ending the day with less battery remaining compared to a £200 Poco.

Soldato
How are folks getting on with the Pixel 7 Pro battery life?

Don't know if I'm expecting too much from the 5000mAh battery. I can only compare it with the Poco F3 I had before. That had a 4500mHa battery and a Snapdragon 870 (7nm) and the battery stamina in that appears to be much better than the Pixel.

Is the Samsung manufacturer Tensor 2 (5nn) really that much more inefficient than a 2021 SOC manufactured on a larger node?

I get through a day without much fuss but definitely notice I'm ending the day with less battery remaining compared to a £200 Poco.
Yes. The tensor chip is not as efficient as it should be. It's basically an Exynos in disguise.

Soldato
Adding on, Samsung's 5nm performs closer to TSMC's 7nm. Mixed in with the more power hungry X1 cores and less efficient GPU it trails behind the competition.

Samsung's 3nm moves to GAA though and is looking very competitive against TSMC's 3nm so G3 should be promising.

Back
Top Bottom