Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

any one know away of turning off the 5ghz wifi ?
interested to know this too. i have this issue for wifi enabled devices that need to be on 2.4 as that's all those devices can take, but the phone doesn't give a choice and goes 5ghz when it can. only solution i've found is to temp disable 5ghz from within the router settings

Being reminded of how much I hate Android's dozing feature with my new P8P. It makes notifications that I want instantly to be insanely unreliable unless I'm constantly on the phone.

Google Pixel 8 is here and I have a few questions.
  1. How do you remove the date from the top left of the home screen (currently shows Mon, 12 Aug)? I've tried tapping and holding it, but can't move, resize or delete it. :(
  2. How do you backup contacts to a VCF file? I backed my contacts up to a VCF on my old phone, saved it to my PC then copied it to the Pixel 8. But I didn't see any backup/restore option in Contacts or Phone. In the end I just opened file in Files by Google and it saved them to my phone. But I'm concerned about backing my contacts to a VCF file in the future. Sure I could save them to my Google account, but I don't want to.
Not sure the date removal can be done. To save to VCF open the contacts application, long press on a single contact, go to the 3 dots menu top right, select all, then press the share button and it'll create a VCF which can be saved/emailed/etc.

Do others have this? I have a P8 and get all my notifications as they happen?

Everyone has it. Those who don't notice it just don't use their phone in a way that triggers it (for example, having the phone in your pocket stops dozing from activating as it detects movement). See this thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/x9r70i/doze_has_almost_ruined_android_for_me/

For someone like me who often has the phone idling on my desk and not charging, it happens a lot. This is an android-wide problem.

Last edited:
Everyone has it. Those who don't notice it just don't use their phone in a way that triggers it (for example, having the phone in your pocket stops dozing from activating as it detects movement). See this thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/x9r70i/doze_has_almost_ruined_android_for_me/

For someone like me who often has the phone idling on my desk and not charging, it happens a lot. This is an android-wide problem.

Reading that article, it looks like the doze delay is 5 minutes? If so, then I'd imagine that for most people that's an acceptable trade off for the superior battery life on Android?

Interesting, I'll try it... but even as I read this, I looked down at my non charging phone next to me and it was showing new email, Whoop and Insta notifications. By the explanation I don't think any of those should have been showing?

They'll show eventually, but it might take a while.

It's noticeable more when you're specifically expecting 'live' notifications - if you use a food delivery app for example and it gives you multiple running notifications to say order accepted, then driver on way to collect, driver waiting, driver now on the way, driver nearby, driver outside etc. If you're using the phone, these pop up as they happen. If you leave the phone undisturbed, you'll notice you just get a flurry of them all at once a little while later.

I've just tried the GMail test from that reddit post - phone undisturbed on my desk, occasional tap to wake the screen and so far no notification on the phone after 10 minutes.

Edit - it appeared after 14 minutes, it showed up when someone sent me a Whatsapp message which presumably runs on a higher priority. I suspect it would have been even longer if that hadn't happened.

Last edited:
if you use a food delivery app for example and it gives you multiple running notifications
Yeah, I can see the Gmail not being instant, which doesn't particularly both me, but live notification from food apps have always worked for me. Mind you, most apps know they need a persistent notification for best results with this. It's not like I would never get a WhatsApp on time for example too. There are other apps that give me daily notifications at certain times, they always come through on time too.

**EDIT** Are we sure it has nothing to do with having Gmail open somewhere else? So when I noticed it above, I had Gmail open on my PC, the phone knows it's open in other locations? While having breakfast my PC went to sleep, I just looked at notifications on my phone and there's an email notification from 1 minute ago...

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see the Gmail not being instant, which doesn't particularly both me, but live notification from food apps have always worked for me. Mind you, most apps know they need a persistent notification for best results with this. It's not like I would never get a WhatsApp on time for example too. There are other apps that give me daily notifications at certain times, they always come through on time too.

**EDIT** Are we sure it has nothing to do with having Gmail open somewhere else? So when I noticed it above, I had Gmail open on my PC, the phone knows it's open in other locations? While having breakfast my PC went to sleep, I just looked at notifications on my phone and there's an email notification from 1 minute ago...

No, it has nothing to do with that. Specifically, GMail has its notification priority broken. It SHOULD be set to a higher priority like your SMS text app, which always ignores doze settings for good reason. GMail is set to 'UNKNOWN' and has been for years, which means doze will kill GMail.

Reading that article, it looks like the doze delay is 5 minutes? If so, then I'd imagine that for most people that's an acceptable trade off for the superior battery life on Android?

That's fine and all, but the fact I can't even set a per-app override to dozing so I can choose to have live notifications when I want is absolutely infuriating. Apple never have these notification problems.

Another app that doesn't have higher priority is eBay. Oh, you got a reminder that the item you are watching is ending in 15 minutes? Well too bad, it's already over by the time you got the notification, lol.

Last edited:
Not sure if my situation is the same thing. I will look at the phone and not see any new notifications, I'll see just one old one for say WhatsApp business, and then when I unlock the phone, all of a sudden normal WhatsApp or email or whatever notification icons appear.

No, it has nothing to do with that. Specifically, GMail has its notification priority broken. It SHOULD be set to a higher priority like your SMS text app, which always ignores doze settings for good reason. GMail is set to 'UNKNOWN' and has been for years, which means doze will kill GMail.
I can see why that might be a problem for some. I think for the vast majority it isn't as email generally isn't used as an urgent real time system.

Not sure if my situation is the same thing. I will look at the phone and not see any new notifications, I'll see just one old one for say WhatsApp business, and then when I unlock the phone, all of a sudden normal WhatsApp or email or whatever notification icons appear.

Yep, that's it. Getting a flood of notifications at once is common with dozing.

I'll unlock it randomly and a stream of notifications will come in from email, WhatsApp, apps etc, it's a really poor design.
Clearly there is something wrong with that though as messages shouldn't be missed. I've certainly never missed an IM of any kind. Some notifications are classed 'Silent' I think, which you don't see on the lock screen either, but you might even be able to move these.

Yep, noticed the same thing on my 7 pro at work when it's just lying on my desk. I'll unlock it randomly and a stream of notifications will come in from email, WhatsApp, apps etc, it's a really poor design.
I don't mind it for the most part, as I wouldn't have seen the notifications if there was instant, however I guess irs frustrating when I leave my phone by the window sill and take a gla ce at a far and see no notifications but in reality there are some

Back
Top Bottom