Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Associate
I'm thinking the Spigen Ultra Hybrid to show off the Bay.
Though I can't see a matte backed one yet. Seems a little odd to go for a glossy backed clear case over the nice matte glass!
...and some Spigen tempered glass of course

Soldato
Got a reply from topcashback £63 offer :

This looks like a new offer that has only recently gone on site, there will hopefully be a button that shows up later today, but we are looking into this for you and will be in touch ASAP with a resolution

Soldato
I don't see how you can't not be eligible? Google and Klarna just lost a valuable customer then. **** em !!
Same for me,

Wouldn't be worth it anyway with it being 41 a month then at least another 10 for decent sim only.

Can get from CPW for 40 a month with a pretty good data deal of 100gig and roaming included, plus the watch 2.

Soldato
Ummm'd and ahhhh'd but going to stick with my 7pro for another year. Does look really good though especially with the face unlock working fully for banking etc.

Soldato
Same for me,

Wouldn't be worth it anyway with it being 41 a month then at least another 10 for decent sim only.

Can get from CPW for 40 a month with a pretty good data deal of 100gig and roaming included, plus the watch 2.
Yeah I don't even need any data/sim package as I only use my personal number for calls. I have 3 Unlimited SIM through work in my S20+ dual sim so I never use my personal SIM for data. I currently have a Lebara SIM for £5 a month. Hence why I just wanted the phone and watch but now I can't cos they won't let me finance it. I can buy it outright too but with Xmas round the corner I'd rather sink it in my monthly outgoings than outright.

Man of Honour
I think those of you with the 7 probably won't gain much.

But for some of us with older phones I think it's worth it.

I am in a lucky position that I can spend for a new phone but for me it's a work horse so I don't mind investing in it.

Soldato
cashback buttons is on,

ordered

Google Pixel 8 Pro 256GB Bay (New Contract)​

Google Pixel 8 Pro 256GB Bay

100GB Data (5G)Unlimited MinutesUnlimited Texts24 Month Contract
Delivery by 12/10/2023
idmobile-new-f53afa19bd-gen-rev.png

Upfront Cost
£279.00
Monthly Cost*
£29.99

overall cost £999

12th schedlued at the moment for delivery

Soldato
EDIT:
Ahhh
"Total device cost: £918"

Need to chuck airtime on top of that too, which appears to be £32 for unlimited with no 100Mbps restriction.

£1686 TCO, steep!
Yes, I know what you mean, but it's not a TCO in my opinion or to me. I am looking at the split costs as they are listed as it's not like my SIM is free at the moment so I want to take that amount off what I would be paying on this contract.

I'm currently paying EE about £25-£28 a month for my SIM only plan. I've closed the tab now, but yes it was £918 for the device and I think I could have 25GB for £28 a month or 125GB for £34 a month, so, not really much different to my current SIM only. I would literally just be getting the device for £918, which you can pay a lump at the start and change the contract length. Once the device is paid off, you change to just pay for the SIM, which seems pretty good to me.

**EDIT** I do see what you mean when you look at a iD plan which would be £1200 or so for the equivalent.

Last edited:
Associate
Not to crap on the launch or product or others purchasing decisions but...
Got to say, was waiting for the release to see how far they've moved it along as the potential of what could have been on offer was tempting to take advantage of pre-order offers but I'm not overly impressed (for the money they are asking for) - yeah sure, the 'AI' stuff is ahead of the others (and that's what you're ultimately paying extra for) but some of it I'd never use and some of it would be equally unhelpful - the call screening would be better if it used the AI servers to do a quick check if a number is a fake number (e.g. it can't be dialled) as well as check if it's a spammer one - instead the call screen effectively answers the call validating that the number they've called is active and eventually some of these scammers will get wise and use better methods of confusing it to get through (I'd rather it just drop the call).
As it's Google I'd always be wondering which services would end up being killed off or merged into something else entirely within those 7 years of support - it's unlikely any of the core features would go but some may change in a way you'd not be happy with - for a device being sold on the software experience (ultimate that's where they are funnelling some of that money) that's a concern.

Also the specs listed are still fuzzy on certain details - Google haven't provided certain specifics about the G3 processor (specifically the GPU part - it's listed as a Mali G715 but that can range from 7 to 9 cores within RT support, or 10+ with RT support (Immortalis range) not that I'd be expecting amazing RT performance at mobile device power levels). That's a large potential difference in performance and there isn't an actual definitive spec list yet apart from the CPU cluster specs - opening up for pre-orders without full disclosure is actually pretty s#!tty on Google's part in that respect - I've seen different online sources say its either 7,8,9, or 10 core G715 which if lower than 10 would be concerning for a flagship device even if not aiming for performance winning speed as for the next year or so they are missing features. At this point, even the Mediatek Dimensity 9200 range looks more powerful and cheaper - if you're not worried about AI crap then the inbuilt AI/ML capabilities of either solution are in excess of what you need, but I really (mistakenly I guess) expected Google's flagship to at least be on-par with Mediatek's flagship seeing as Google have now got a few years of ARM device development behind them and are raiding Samsungs IP chest...

I'm shopping for a new phone and going on pure specs for the money, I'd rather get the recently released Xiaomi 13T Pro which ultimately will have more RAM, storage and speed for same money as Pixel 8 but be same size as Pixel 8 Pro and also supposedly takes great pictures minus the AI face and object moving stuff (which still has a launch offer of a free Xiaomi Pad 6 bundled in). You loose wireless charging and 5 instead of 7 years of updates, but I'd rather have the better actual phone and a tablet I can throw at the Mrs to keep her distracted like a toddler with keys - the only thing putting me off being Xiaomi's 'unique' software which, ultimately, you can swap out for other apps to handle messaging, dialling, home screen, etc. - shame they don't still do Android One style devices....

I guess it's not that bad - I was just hoping for more... especially at the price point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom