Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Yeah mine failed 1st time. Fitbit setup was what killed it for me. Not bothered with the Fitbit stuff on the 2nd try and went straight through
Thanks all, failed again.

Like the Pixel 8 pro but this is rubbish , last try before I give up on it and carry on with the galaxy watch

download pixel watch app.

had same issue last night

with app installed its quick

Thanks all, failed again.

Like the Pixel 8 pro but this is rubbish , last try before I give up on it and carry on with the galaxy watch
Strange, i've done two now and all went through in seconds.

I deleted the old watches from fitbit app first and reset the app. Then loaded the google watch app only and did the pair via that.

No issues.

Sadly this is phones now. Gone are the days of drastic differences year to year. Upgrade every 3 years or more for the sweet spot.

I've currently got the S22 and only because the Pixel 6 was so awful I had to ditch it, which meant no way was I going for Pixel 7. I've got to say that I've no doubt the Pixel 8 pro would be an upgrade from the S22, but not at £1,000.

If I'm sensible, I think my next phone could be a Pixel 8 Pro, bought just before the Pixel 9 release. I'd like to think I could pick one up for around £650 at that point and I could keep it for a few years, especially with that long software support. As you say, the hardware increment from Pixel 8 to 9 and probably even 10 will be minimal.

Rumour has it that the pixel line moves to a TSMC manufacturing in 2025, I'll likely skip that one too. I tend to avoid jumping in on first releases of hardware changes. Been burned too many times with issues.

I was trying to get rid of the search bar on the stock launcher with no luck. I remembered I had paid for nova launcher ages ago so I've chucked that on instead of the stock launcher.

I was trying to get rid of the search bar on the stock launcher with no luck. I remembered I had paid for nova launcher ages ago so I've chucked that on instead of the stock launcher.
Yes that search bar is a real pain in the butt. Why we cannot remove it is beyond me. I never use it.

I have used nova on every Pixel I have had because of that stupid search bar on stock launcher.

Surely there must be away of removing it?

This is another negative I have about the Pixel 8 Pro.

I tried Nova but it doesn't seem as smooth as stock launcher. Like when i open an app, there is an odd transition where on stock its all smooth, very off-putting unless im missing some settings....

Turn off animation, I love Nova due to the flexibility

Flexibility is the key for me too. I have heard some data security concerns with it because it was bought it by another company but nothing has been proven. I will probably look at what alternatives are available because it has been a while since I looked.

Few things...

1: Why does the UK not get the 1TB version?
2: Why is there an IR thermometer? It only works on objects 2 inches from the sensor, it does not work on humans according to Jerry
3: That camera shelf is MASSIVE!
4: In video mode the switching between lenses is very jarring and the colours change so basically the video image quality is affected when recording.
5: Only 30w wired fast charging (not a huge issue, it's fast enough, but not quite as fast as others...)

Many others which are probably too time consuming to list but are quality of life stuff, largely camera/UI related.

A step in the right direction, but not a decent enough step to warrant £1000+ for anything with decent storage size. Also Google's trade in prices are utter garbage, they offered £340 for an S23 Ultra 512GB, meanwhile Samsung offered more than that was the previous gen's flagship when the S23 series came out.

Every year that I think maybe this year's Pixel will be the time I actually get one as a means of trying a Pixel for once and find the list of undesirable features are still too high.

Same as me! I'm using Nova.

I also have Watch 5 Pro and need to decide to keep or move over to the Pixel Watch 2. Been wearing both lol, seem pretty similar with heart rate and measurements done so far. Pixel Watch 2 fits more comfy for me on my wrist and is moore sleeker less chunky design. Decisions decisions...
What does Nova get you. I have the full version just can't remember what it offers these days. Fairly happy with my layout at the minute.

Just need to sort out my Garmin not getting all notifications, I think the phone is going to sleep after a while and not passing then onto the watch.

Just got my email from Google trade-in (PCS Wireless) confirming that they've received my trade-in.

It says the trade-in assessment should be completed within 3-4 business days, so hoping for payment mid-week next week - if no hiccups.

Every year that I think maybe this year's Pixel will be the time I actually get one as a means of trying a Pixel for once and find the list of undesirable features are still too high.

Horses for courses. I tried the S23 Ultra, but cannot get on with Samsung's bloatware and kiddy UI. Also the phone itself is so blocky with its sharp edges - not for me. Looking at the leaks, it seems the S24 Ultra will continue in the same vein.

The S23 Ultra has good specs for sure, but the Pixel as an experience beats it hands-down for me.

Last edited:
I have to dsiagree with some of that, you say OneUI has a kiddy UI, Pixel's and Android in general follows the same UI ethos as it's become a standard now. Look at the screenshots already posted here, they all look like kiddy UIs, aka iOS which is what Android has now started to accept and utilise under the Material guise. There is no differentiation any more, looking this way is what the masses want as it's easy to look at and use for them.

The rest of us will simply use Nova Launcher etc and customise our layouts to go far beyond any stock aesthetic.

So for me this argument is total fud as it is not a valid argument to be putting forward. As for bloat, Samsung has their own apps sure, you can use them you can disable them, you can use Google's own apps. I use both vendor apps so it's a non-issue for me really hence why I wouldn't care if my phone was Pixel or Samsung, as long as the features align to what I consider to be high end given that these are £1000+ phones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom