Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Can you share the results? :⁠-⁠)

PXL-20231013-152017472-2.jpg

PXL-20231013-152017472.jpg

Has anyone found a decent glass screen protector that's a single sheet (no cut-out for the camera) and doesn't have that silly black border around the edge?

I'm provisionally going to say yes, but not one I've got fitted to the 8 Pro yet.

On my Xiaomi 11T Pro, I've got a fantastic glass one piece screen protector, and it turns out, it's the exact same size as the one I've got fitted on my 8Pro (which does have the lens cut out that I'm not a fan of). So probably sooner or later I'm going to chuck this one on the 8 Pro and install the Xiaomi protector on the 8Pro for full screen coverage.

I've had a look on Amazon and sadly the Xiaomi protector is currently unavailable. But I'll keep an eye on stock as the protector is really good at repelling static dust, finger prints, etc, as well as feeling super slick.

Does everyone has 5g switched on ? Or switched it off ?
I turn it off as it's battery hog, it's improved since chipsets have gotten better .

Will let the phone settle down and then maybe turn on again, the reality is though it's very rare I need upto 1gbps mobile speeds, 4g is decent with the added benefit of battery savings .

Saying that, they may have optimised the 5g so it may not be the case anymore.

I am stuck on 4g. Pay EE about £6 a month for 30gb data and unlimited mins. Had a mate who used to work there apply a discount for life

Can't change it :D
They don't just automatically give you 5g, never been with a provider that has different tariffs for different speeds.

Right put the camera through some proper tests and tried out most of the editing functions... Pixel 8 Pro 512GB. Generally impressed but certainly not perfect.

1) Recording videos 4K 60FPS, zooming in or out seems to change lens - this creates a jarring/judder effect which looks pretty horrible. The exposure/colours change too - just looks a bit naff, expected better.
2) Some of the videos exhibit stutters on playback, possibly due to exposure/ISO change behind the scenes.
3) Had one video that was set to 4K 60FPS (and viewing file details confirms 8.3MP - 3840x2160) but actually appears really low-res blurry almost like old school Nokia 3210 footage lol. Only 1 video of about 50 recorded today has done this, but a bit random nonetheless.
4) Still pics generally good but some weird ISO cleaning visible on many shots - can see artefacts.
5) Portrait mode pretty good but closer inspection shows poor blur effect especially around hair.
6) The magic eraser and these other "AI" tools kind of work but isn't always great, really depends on the scene and how complex background it. Very poor compared to a 1-2min job in Photoshop.
7) Some of these post image editing features take AGES to process - like 10+ seconds. I find that annoying, especially as the end result generally isn't as good as I would like.

I think a lot of this really depends on your expectations. Overall I am fairly happy, clearly an improvement over my old Note10+ but I just expected more after all the hype and Googles sales pitch. I know I have high expectations, I do not motorsport photography using proper cameras/lenses so I know what pure quality can be achieved. I don't expect to a phone to meet that or frankly get close, but perhaps I did expect better. Better hardware still beats using cleaver software to compensate. That's my 2P anyway. Anyone else agree after putting yours through its paces?

Back
Top Bottom