Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Here we go... was waiting for this one. Congrats, someone asks every year.

First question we ask is why are you shaking it in the first place.

It's the OIS.
I never said I was shaking my phone, it was merely moving back and forth as I'm aiming the camera and I heard it.

I've never owned a "pro" phone so never experienced this before, hence asking a question.

Although, thanks for answering.

Last edited:
I never said I was shaking my phone, it was merely moving back and forth as I'm aiming the camera and I heard it.

I've never owned a "pro" phone so never experienced this before, hence asking a question.

Although, thanks for answering.
It probably shouldn't rattle (as much) when the camera is enabled as the OIS is live.

If the camera is off there will be rattle, definitely.

Right put the camera through some proper tests and tried out most of the editing functions... Pixel 8 Pro 512GB. Generally impressed but certainly not perfect.

1) Recording videos 4K 60FPS, zooming in or out seems to change lens - this creates a jarring/judder effect which looks pretty horrible. The exposure/colours change too - just looks a bit naff, expected better.
2) Some of the videos exhibit stutters on playback, possibly due to exposure/ISO change behind the scenes.
3) Had one video that was set to 4K 60FPS (and viewing file details confirms 8.3MP - 3840x2160) but actually appears really low-res blurry almost like old school Nokia 3210 footage lol. Only 1 video of about 50 recorded today has done this, but a bit random nonetheless.
4) Still pics generally good but some weird ISO cleaning visible on many shots - can see artefacts.
5) Portrait mode pretty good but closer inspection shows poor blur effect especially around hair.
6) The magic eraser and these other "AI" tools kind of work but isn't always great, really depends on the scene and how complex background it. Very poor compared to a 1-2min job in Photoshop.
7) Some of these post image editing features take AGES to process - like 10+ seconds. I find that annoying, especially as the end result generally isn't as good as I would like.

I think a lot of this really depends on your expectations. Overall I am fairly happy, clearly an improvement over my old Note10+ but I just expected more after all the hype and Googles sales pitch. I know I have high expectations, I do not motorsport photography using proper cameras/lenses so I know what pure quality can be achieved. I don't expect to a phone to meet that or frankly get close, but perhaps I did expect better. Better hardware still beats using cleaver software to compensate. That's my 2P anyway. Anyone else agree after putting yours through its paces?

I'm an amateur and just like to point and click and get good pics, but struggling to work out the best settings and modes.

I put 50MP resolution on pics but that only works on stationary things, no chance getting a decent pic of the kids playing with that on.

Video wise it's a toss up between 60fps or the 10-bit HDR as you can't have both enabled. I think 10bit HDR looks better but not tested enough. I do find it confusing how lots of different settings become unavailable when you enable certain things.

How's everyone's batteries?

Not very impressed, maybe 4-5 hours sot....

All I can say is way better than my 3 year old pixel 5 :D

So probably depends on what you are coming from. From my experience it's to early to say battery wise in the first few weeks. Lots of apps updating and optimizing. Plus a little battery conditioning

All I can say is way better than my 3 year old pixel 5 :D

So probably depends on what you are coming from. From my experience it's to early to say battery wise in the first few weeks. Lots of apps updating and optimizing. Plus a little battery conditioning

yeah exacltly. first 2 days i never charged it and it still had 30% left, but then i've been setting it up last couple days, properly transferring things across and the battery is now just a day. i wont judge until about 2 weeks from now.

Back
Top Bottom