Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Marketing tricks, they do it because it works and you're proof of that. An item isn't free if it requires payment in order to receive it. What they're actually doing is selling a bundle of items together and labeling one of them as "free" to make you think you're getting a good deal. The "free" item is often time limited put put pressure on people who are thinking about buying it to do so now. When they remove the "free" item from the bundle they're effectively putting the price of both items up temporarily.

I would call it more a promotion and yes you are getting a good deal as I believe if you went to the Google store now you would not get those two items. I was always ordering on day 1 with or without a bundle. Like others here. So it's a bonus right ?

It's all relative anyway, we all know the drill here, discounts around black Friday, discounts around Christmas. You don't have to wait long before another promotion appears, then the prices will drop, befoe long the pixel 9 will be showing up

Again diving in early you at least get 12 months of the shiny new toy.

Others happy to wait 6 months and snag a price bargain

Others happy to wait 6 months and snag a price bargain

You only had to wait 24hrs to get the handsets at a lower price, sans the "free gifts". That's the point being made.

Some people actually wanted the watch/buds and that's obviously fine. I still have my Bose headphones from the Pixel 6 launch and they're perfect for me.

Some people were happy to put in the extra effort to sell the watch/buds and in the process get the phone at a price closer to what they will be retailing at in a few weeks, and obviously that's fine.

What I find a little bit naïve, is people trying to claim that the additional items were free; they weren't. The cost was simply added surreptitiously and it's a marketing tactic that's as old as time.

And if they hadn't bundled, and it'd been £100 cheaper, you'd have bought the phone too

It was in range with other flagships and price leaked well before. So it was never gonna be £100 cheaper.

We all get your point, but many reasons for bundles and discounts. Not just your theory. Xbox series S is pretty much sold at a loss, the money is in the future purchases of gamepass and market place bundles all going via Microsoft

You could say day 1 pixel purchase peeps are enthusiasts or fan boys. It makes just as much marketing sense to tool them up with other devices at a slight loss. they are very likey to be passionate about and advertise those products

It was in range with other flagships and price leaked well before. So it was never gonna be £100 cheaper.

We all get your point, but many reasons for bundles and discounts. Not just your theory. Xbox series S is pretty much sold at a loss, the money is in the future purchases of gamepass and market place bundles all going via Microsoft

You could say day 1 pixel purchase peeps are enthusiasts or fan boys. It makes just as much marketing sense to tool them up with other devices at a slight loss. they are very likey to be passionate about and advertise those products
If Google sell you a phone at a loss what else are they selling to make a return? Not comparable to Xbox. There will be plenty of margin on a £1k phone.

Anything in the battery page to show the most used app? I've had it before with my p5, randomly drops to next to no battery, super hot. Figured it was due to the phone on its way out, but perhaps was a bug. Was a rare thing though, hopefully for you too.
nothing different from this last week, the librelink is alway on (looks after my blood sugar, need it on) but it been on since i got the phone last week. switiching to battery use by system. the CPU is at 48% which seems high

If Google sell you a phone at a loss what else are they selling to make a return? Not comparable to Xbox. There will be plenty of margin on a £1k phone.

Maybe reread it, the Xbox comment was in relation to other marketing strategies.

The phone has a price and the watch has a price. Bundling together as a promotion makes just as much sense as you are selling to a lot of enthusiasts who are likey to promote both products and of course become more ingrained in the Google eco system.

Not to say you're wrong, but there's plenty reason why you could be.

Let's pretend Google sell a phone at a less (I think nexus phones may have been, or even first few pixel phones), they lose from the sale, but that's another android user, that buys android games, in game purchases, subscribes to services via the play store etc.

Google could very easily sell a phone at a loss and still make a hefty profit from the phones use.

They are however greedy and know they can do both, but also, they know that they can't kill off other android phone developers else they will be forcing those companies to seek an alternative, as Samsung started to try and failed.

Google makes their money from advertising and AI, they are not a hardware company. Everything you do with your Pixel is fine tuned and tracked - you are the product, not the phone. That's why the phone companies like EE, Three etc. are selling the handset below the Google Store price and managing to bundle 2 years worth of data, texts and calls into the price - there is tons of headroom in the price regardless of how much the unit cost is to Google, because their business model depends on that handset being in as many hands as possible.

Last edited:
*looks at last couple of pages about in this thread*

giphy.gif

Shame the satellite comms appears to have just died, it was a feature that would have made me upgrade.

Although I understand from a hardware point of view, the 5300 modem in the Pixel 7 range is capable of satellite connectivity, so maybe a software solution will make it's way around. It's a big deal feature for me.

Back
Top Bottom