Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Always worth manual restricting apps that you don't need to have background data on.

I noticed that the CPU is the main battery hog. Screen actually uses very little.
I only really checked off the back of a Reddit post. I'll maybe go through all the apps and restrict ones I don't use often. So far, None have really caused issue apart from YouTube.

For anyone else having to do the redemption for the watch or buds via the Google rewards site, is it also an absolutely abysmal process for you too? Took ages to get everything submitted, and now it's coming back and asking to upload invoice and IMEI proof again! Fairly frustrating, as I'm sure it wasn't this rough with the P7 reward redemption site last year.

For anyone else having to do the redemption for the watch or buds via the Google rewards site, is it also an absolutely abysmal process for you too? Took ages to get everything submitted, and now it's coming back and asking to upload invoice and IMEI proof again! Fairly frustrating, as I'm sure it wasn't this rough with the P7 reward redemption site last year.
I'm not surprised. I know someone who got 2 watches and 1 set of buds out of 1 purchase last year.

Still doesn't warrant a bad redemption process though.

Last edited:
Are the screens a bit rubbish I already have a couple of faint scratches on my Pro.
I'd had my OP7Pro for nearly 5 years with no marks.
I think I'll need to fit a screen protector which seems completely silly these days.

They were on my 7 Pro. Mine plus a couple people at work all have hairline scratches

It was a bit of a faff, and they'd ran out of the silver/bay watches by the time I'd gone through.

Once everything was submitted it only took a few minutes to validate both proof of purchase and IMEI number.

It was a bit of a faff, and they'd ran out of the silver/bay watches by the time I'd gone through.

Once everything was submitted it only took a few minutes to validate both proof of purchase and IMEI number.
Hopefully finally sorted. Only logged in 7 times (going by the 2FA codes they've sent)!

Black watch incoming, hopefully.

Can't quite go fully Mr 2Phones with the iPhone 15 Pro as well, as my blood glucose monitor can only wireless link to one phone, although I _could_ manually scan it. Shocked enough that it actually works at all on first release of the Pixel 8 series though, as the blood glucose company usually are a little behind the curve. Do have to say the Pixel 8 Pro's bloody lovely, although obviously different to the fruit-themed fondle phone 15 Pro.

Anybody been getting random reboots out of the blue, done it a couple of times already since buying the 8 Pro and did again this morning while charging.
Play store upto date btw.

Is there actually any real world benefit to one of these over say a p7 pro or even a OnePlus8
For me coming from a 7 Pro, the difference is enough to warrant the upgrade.

Flat screen

2400 nits brightness

Feels better in the hands than the 7 Pro

Better camera

More controls on the camera

The overall using of the 8 Pro feels better than the 7 Pro.

If you have the cash & can get a good trade in go for it.

I don't miss my 7 pro one bit.

After seeing battery life for the pixel 8,have ruled against getting it. The battery life is similar to my 3 year old phone now that its depleted by 25%. Will wait for Samsung new phones.

Battery life on the pro while not excellent is still pretty good. Gets me through the day with ease and around 6hrs screen time which is plenty.

It's not like I can't charge for 30 mins during for another 50% of charge if need be. Non issue for me.

Meanwhile the rest of the phone is just superb.

Last edited:
After seeing battery life for the pixel 8,have ruled against getting it. The battery life is similar to my 3 year old phone now that its depleted by 25%. Will wait for Samsung new phones.

How are you comparing the battery ?

And what do you need from a battery ? The 8 easy lasts all day and some for me.

How are you comparing the battery ?

And what do you need from a battery ? The 8 easy lasts all day and some for me.
I look at gsmarenas battery test to compare.

It might last a day now, but with battery deterioration won't in a couple of years.

I tend to travel quite a lot so really need something that will comfortably last a full day without charge, with continuous use including GPS.

Granted most occasions I'll have access to charge, plus I carry a spare battery with me just in case, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have a phone with 2 day's of battery life of normal use.

My Xperia 5ii did that when new, although now just lasts a day of normal use.

gsmarena sees the future ?
will check if htey have lotto numbers for me..

first week with 8pro , battery was not impressive, especially at work with bad reception and not that good wifi...
but now it has all settled.
am getting 5-6h of screen time

even when i get home with 50% battery left, it lasts until late evening with YT, games and internet.

no complaints at all

I look at gsmarenas battery test to compare.

It might last a day now, but with battery deterioration won't in a couple of years.

I tend to travel quite a lot so really need something that will comfortably last a full day without charge, with continuous use including GPS.

Granted most occasions I'll have access to charge, plus I carry a spare battery with me just in case, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have a phone with 2 day's of battery life of normal use.

My Xperia 5ii did that when new, although now just lasts a day of normal use.

well battery is not bad at all, in line with other devices, so waiting on another phone that may or may not be better seems a bit odd.

well battery is not bad at all, in line with other devices, so waiting on another phone that may or may not be better seems a bit odd.
But I want to change my phone to one with better battery...

The galaxy s23 has a better battery, inline with my Xperia 5ii when new, so would be happy with that, just thought I'd wait till the s24 comes out to either get an s23 for cheaper or get the s24 if it gives an improvement on battery life (other features I'd be happy with what the s23 provides anyway).

Last edited:
But I want to change my phone to one with better battery...

The galaxy s23 has a better battery, inline with my Xperia 5ii when new, so would be happy with that, just thought I'd wait till the s24 comes out to either get an s23 for cheaper or get the s24 if it gives an improvement on battery life (other features I'd be happy with what the s23 provides anyway).

Well whatever works for you. But have a look at some other reviews as phone arena for example seems to believe the pixel 8 battery is better than the s23.

I set up my eSIM today. I can now go dual sim again. I had that same physical SIM card for the best part of 15 years. It was cut down multiple times when new sim size standards were introduced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom