Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Soldato
Yeah mine has picked up very little in that regard too. I was at a Chelsea game last week and had some real good close ups of the players and it failed to recognise anything, not the club badge or the sponsor.
However it is very good at picking out landmarks and buildings. I had a few picks from trips to London and Belgium and it recognised every building picture I had.

I think even Google are still admitting that this is still very much in development anyway so hopefully it will improve.

Associate
Just noticed I have Google lens enabled now too. Seems to do a decent job of identifying buildings, but not much else. Hasn't correctly identified any plants so far, or even my dog. But early days, I'm sure it'll get there. The concept is quite cool.

Soldato
So I got the 8.1 beta last night. just downloaded and installed this morning.

The first thing I notice is that I think the font for the lock screen clock and Pixel 2-esque date widget on the home screen.

Plus there's actually an Oreo in the settings now :p

e: And they've changed the emoji in whatsapp!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a s/h XL as I can't really justify the £800 for the XL2! I rather fancy saving £500 ish :D

Any tips? I'm gonna enrol for the beta program to get 8.1, but any camera updates etc I should get?

thanks

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a s/h XL as I can't really justify the £800 for the XL2! I rather fancy saving £500 ish :D

Any tips? I'm gonna enrol for the beta program to get 8.1, but any camera updates etc I should get?

thanks
It's a fantastic phone straight out of the box imo. I've not done anything to it software wise, other than enrolling on the beta program.

e: Althought thinking about it, I did download the Pixel 2 home screen widget and the ability to have the search bar at the bottom, but that's just an updated Pixel launcher as far as I know

Don
It looks like my XL died tonight. Randomly scrolling through Twitter and it just cut out and now won’t turn back on. It had plenty of battery when it cut out but I’ve left it on charge for the past 30 minutes but still no luck getting it to turn back on. This had to happen the same week I had to send my laptop back to Dell for repair!!

Soldato
8.1 really transformed my phone, I'm very happy so far.
Is the 8.1 still going well for you? Has anyone else tried it yet? I'm enjoying it for sure but just wondered has anyone managed to find any bugs yet?
I definitely think the adaptive brightness has gone to pot with this update and I believe it is also said to be crazy on the Pixel 2's. The adaptive brightness on the original pixels was the best I'd ever used but with this update it just doesn't seem to settle and it makes very large jumps.

Don
Following on from my post above, I spoke to Google’s customer support this morning. Very quick and easy, arranged collection of my phone for Monday and I’d receive my replacement within 2 days of them receiving mine - so by the end of next week. They confirmed that I’d be receiving a brand new handset, not a refurbished unit.

I’ve just had a look and the 128gb XL is showing as being completely out of stock, they’re not even giving a ‘x week’ delivery estimate. Do Google keep stock of handsets just for replacements or am I going to be left waiting more than the few days I was told on the phone this morning? Or wishful thinking, might they send me a Pixel 2 XL instead?

Caporegime
Picked up a s/h Pixel XL for £235 with a few marks (case will hide them, screen is perfect). Loving it so far, and 8.1 is on!! Can afford it but the XL2 pricing is just a bit bonkers to justify, will pick one up on a deal in 6-8 months instead :)

Soldato
Actually, I notice that the sRGB toggle has disappeared from the developer options. It looks like it's running sRGB by default?
It is gone you're right, never noticed. It definitely isn't running sRGB by default though, I toggled mine on and off the last couple of weeks and it definitely isn't on sRGB now.

Back
Top Bottom