• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
And those of us who have no access to fibre, we can hardly 'go digital' now can we?

There comes a point where a business becomes feasible ie enough demand or a big enough market. That doesn't always mean everyone can get it. I understand that a lot of people are still on adsl2 speed lines with less than 10mbp download.

Soldato
Some FAQs

If already a Pro Subscriber - next 2 months free

If already been Pro but not resubbed - Renew your sub and it's free for 2 months.

If completely new to the platform - next 2 months free

So in conclusion - Free for all!
If you do not renew after the two months free trial - You're on Stadia Base and can continue to play the games you purchased and purchase future games.

Soldato
Free? Still not interested. Next thing is they'll be boasting how many users they have.
Still, good for people on limited incomes etc who may already have the required bits and can enjoy it.

Soldato
Are you a Google employee with some emotional connection to the product? If not why do you care what others think?
It obviously has some value in the marketplace for some people but it's just unlikely to ever be treated the same as a 'proper' console.

Jesus those store prices, to just stream. I wonder if that's to make the pro sub seem better value.

Edit: Got my stepdad to try it as his PC cant play games, granted it's not ideal net situation as it's on a powerline getting 21.5 down 9up, we booted up Gridauto Sport and it was unplayable albeit much better than when we tried PS Now. Controls were responsive but there was so much artifacting going on, if this is only smooth for people on 50+ then that narrows it further.
Oh I see DF article specifies you need at least 25mb for the 1080p one so that explains it.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Free? Still not interested.
+1

The service is not good enough and the prices are mental.

Had they released it with a bigger library of games that were priced competitively and lived up to the image quality promises then it may have been a different story. As it is this is a niche product at best. Might get better over time if Google do not pull the plug in the next few years.

Soldato
+1

The service is not good enough and the prices are mental.

Had they released it with a bigger library of games that were priced competitively and lived up to the image quality promises then it may have been a different story. As it is this is a niche product at best. Might get better over time if Google do not pull the plug in the next few years.

I just never understood it, here is a way you can play games worse than you could on other platforms and totally contingent on your internet connection, oh and you can pay more than double for those same titles or give us a monthly fee for the privilege.

Soldato
Looking forward to giving this a go later.

But yeah, the prices. They're silly. Okay, it's "just" the normal RRP. But I don't think I've paid RRP for a game in my life. And the current sale is pretty lacklustre compared to what's going on with other platforms.

I appreciate the chance to try it for free. But there's no chance I'll be keeping my sub going beyond the free period. And with the current selection of free Pro games, I'm not likely to put many hours in to this over the next two months either.

Associate
signed up earlier and tried a few games over an hour. Feel was fine, no latency I could feel. Picture quality and experience were not good though. I have a 375 down 40 up internet connection and was playing wired. Loads of blocking in the video and stuttering. Will not be extending beyond the free 2 months. Found Geforce now a much better experience even on the free tier

Associate
So now that we can all try stadia for free I have compared it to Geforce Now and immediately noticed that Stadia input lag is much higher than Geforce Now.!
Obviously both servers are in London so same distance from me but when pinging both I get ~15ms for Geforce Now and ~30 for Stadia.
Now the input lag difference is much more than 15ms so there are other factors in play (different APIs and encoder used.?).
I am using Virgin Media 350 which always gives me about 385Mbps when speed testing and transfering files (402-405mbps in Windows task manager).
I quickly looked up Stadia input lag on Google and found this:

1073-F52-C-13-F3-4-D78-8-F6-D-7142-B79-C399-D.jpg

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/geforce-now-beats-stadia-in-our-input-latency-testing/

From his testing it looks like input lag on stadia is almost twice as high as Geforce Now.!!

Also image quality is just awful as stated above micro blocking and detail loss everywhere.

Last edited:
Associate
From his testing it looks like input lag on stadia is almost twice as high as Geforce Now.!!
Also image quality is just awful as stated above micro blocking and detail loss everywhere.

This is quite shocking really. The only thing i believed Google had in their favor with this was near unlimited resources to get everyone hooked up globally and playing smoothly. Even if that was true, I didnt see a future for it due to the price model. and now more and more outlets confirm its just not up to it. amazing.

I wont even try with my erratic net connection (never ever choose Shell people!). Playing Doom Eternal had interruptions every 30 min just trying to keep Bethesda.Net happy that I was still online, let alone streaming interactive video feeds!

Back
Top Bottom