• No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Yes, as long as you have a 4K monitor.

Go to the Stadia website, sign up for 1 free month and then click play. Boom, you're in.

Thanks. I might hold on to that 1 free month until nearer Christmas, they may have something really special to show off then. I've started playing BL3 on Steam as it's free there, too.

Caporegime
OP
Fenyx Rising demo is up. The demo is Stadia exclusive, but free for anyone to play. Going to give it a go this evening. Will be an interesting test of both the game and the service.

It turned out to be very interesting.

GOOD :
The quick set up of a new account
The instant start of the game without any downloads/patches/configuration
The game itself was fantastic - really looking out for this now
Amazing when you think it's running in a browser

BAD :
Performance - despite having excellent connection status in the overlay, the game was a stuttering mess. Whether this is due to Fenyx only being a demo or me using Microsoft Edge as the browser instead of Chrome, I don't know. But as that was my first experience of Stadia, it's not very good. I'm going to have a look and see if there is anything free I can test further with.

Caporegime
OP
The game itself I really enjoyed. Movement is good. Combat is alright; very much in the Assassin's Creed vein. The world seems large and looks stunning. And the narration was genuinely funny at times. Pretty much sold on this now.

I liked the stamina meter (can make climbing a bit more interesting!), seems lots of places to explore, the boss fight, potion and skill upgrades. Pretty much all of it.

Caporegime
OP
Not tried it myself. Been having a go at Pacman but so far it's been extremely easy. Guessing I'm getting matched with a ton of bots.

Really looking forward to the few back catalogue of Ubi games coming but it needs to be a good price point.

Can pick all those games up for less than £10 on Xbox and PlayStation.

I'd pay a little extra for the benefit of having it on Stadia, but only £5

Stadia is going to get a wake up call when Amazon Luna launches. You’ll be able to play a lot of Ubisoft games for a monthly fee rather than having to buy them outright.

Caporegime
OP
Who the heck is this Jade Redmond woman? She always crops up when she joins somewhere as the saviour of gaming and then is never mentioned again until she leaves, having seemingly done nothing at all.

Caporegime
OP
The only way Google will be able to compete is by adopting Microsoft's Game Pass / Netflix model - one monthly sub for unlimited access to the whole library. Because when Amazon Luna comes along, it's going to wipe the floor with Stadia.

Caporegime
OP
Exactly, Amazon with AWS infra is just incredible, although it's largly based on storage, latency and CPU power.

I wasn't even thinking of that more like Amazon is going to offer packages like you get on Sky TV, so you can pick and choose different publisher packages for a small fee each month. It'll be interesting to see how exactly that works and whether it can match Game Pass. But also, they are using Windows 10 and DirectX for all the games which makes it very easy to increase their library because there is no messing about with Linux/Vulkan as on Stadia.

Caporegime
OP
Took Stadia for another spin today and played Fenix Rising demo. Performed very well albeit at 1080p. So to play something like Far Cry 6, I'd need a Ubisoft+ subscription (£14.99) and to get 4K a Stadia Pro subscription (£8.99 but free for first month). Is that right?

Caporegime
OP
Almost 4 years and it's time up for Stadia! It's been a bit of a s***-show from the beginning really. I don't think they ever upgraded their server blades even once for developers to use increased power on their games. And Ubisoft are probably feeling like idiots now after they threw a lot of resources at it.

Caporegime
OP
That's awful generous of them considering it basically lived a life cycle of a typical console, surely there's a cut off for refunds are they really going to refund day 1 purchases ?

Seems like it, yes. And for those sneaky devils (it did cross my mind) who were going to go and buy something now to play it and get their money back, the Stadia store is closed. :p

Caporegime
OP
They had interesting technology, hamstrung by a shoddy business model. Of course people weren't keen on trying it. They had better options.

Yeah, I'd've been more interested if it was an all-you-can-play service like Game Pass. But as it was a brand new platform, it meant tons of games had to be ported to Linux+Vulkan so there was never going to be a big selection to start with.

Back
Top Bottom