• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
All well and cool sitting up there on the high fence looking down on those that did, but you and no one else back at launch could have predicted this and if everyone did have that same attitude, then there would be a lot of stuff that would never of made it.

I enjoyed my Founders time with Stadia and unlike many others fails... I will be getting my money back!

You must have not read anything about it then because the sentiment at the time was yeah this is not gonna last, so your comment is very naive. Within the first few pages of this very thread, people were calling it DOA.
Let's also not gloat about the fact you're getting your money back because likewise you had no way of knowing that was the case. You got lucky buying into a product that was doomed from the start.
That aside, glad you actually got some enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
You must have not read anything about it then because the sentiment at the time was yeah this is not gonna last, so your comment is very naive
Let's also not gloat about the fact you're getting your money back because likewise you had no way of knowing that was the case. You got lucky buying into a product that was doomed from the start.
That aside, glad you actually got some enjoyment out of it.

If I had a £ for every time I've heard "This is not gonna last" I'd be quite well off. Yes in this instance it did fail nearly as much as your comment did if it was intended to annoy me!

Soldato
If I had a £ for every time I've heard "This is not gonna last" I'd be quite well off. Yes in this instance it did fail nearly as much as your comment did if it was intended to annoy me!

I was pointing out your deeply flawed comment about how "nobody could have predicted this", despite it being a similar launch to two others before it that went the exact same way.

If you can learn to take comments on a forum objectively you will not get defensive and think it's personal. I cared more about Stadia than I do about annoying you. Hopefully that gives some context.

Soldato
I was pointing out your deeply flawed comment about how "nobody could have predicted this", despite it being a similar launch to two others before it that went the exact same way.

If you can learn to take comments on a forum objectively you will not get defensive and think it's personal. I cared more about Stadia than I do about annoying you. Hopefully that gives some context.

OK I'm not really into internet arguments or people that feel fine trying to put others down online, so with that said you are going on the bore list blocked list.

;)

Soldato
Maybe if everyone here bashing in it, actually tried it, we'd be in a different position.
I don't think it would that much to be honest.

The fact the service was locked behind the need to purchase specific hardware didn't help, especially when the next gen consoles were hard to get. Google should have capitalised on the need for no console being required during the pandemic.

Stadia was supposedly the best place to play Cyberpunk 2077 on launch unless you had a stonking PC. How did they make the most of this, by shuttering their in-house studio.

The price of games was too high and the Pro games were pretty poor in my opinion.

Plus it ran pretty crap on my 30 ish mb connection, no chance of 4k, maybe others with super fast broadband had a better experience but my new build estate is still waiting for superfast (5 years and counting).

Soldato
Maybe if everyone here bashing in it, actually tried it, we'd be in a different position.

I did. It was as bad as I expected. I tried it because it was given away with a phone I purchased.
The cost model was the worst decision IMO, other than the decision to stream games. I like the concept of not having to buy expensive hardware but unless streaming can ever give me the exact same experience as playing natively, I'm not interested and I suspect many others won't be either.

Caporegime
OP
They had interesting technology, hamstrung by a shoddy business model. Of course people weren't keen on trying it. They had better options.

Yeah, I'd've been more interested if it was an all-you-can-play service like Game Pass. But as it was a brand new platform, it meant tons of games had to be ported to Linux+Vulkan so there was never going to be a big selection to start with.

Soldato
What do you all think the cost model was? I don't understand the hate towards it.

@KraniX you do realise you didn't need to buy a single piece of hardware to play Stadia?

On the off chance you are not being deliberately obtuse I will give my understanding of it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There was a premium subscription about £9 a month which allowed streaming up to 4K and included a tiny library of games a bit like a really mini game pass only with streaming.
You had to pay full price for new games on top of this subscription.

There was a version with no subscription that allowed up to 1080p. You paid full price for games with this too and didn't have access to the prem library.

Wasn't it £70 to play borderlands 3, game that had already been out a while and was about £20 on other consoles?
Regardless of your choice, you are paying full price RRP for games you could only stream.
You have probably seen the backlash about PS5 games being £70 for discs which you can at least re-sell. It is not hard to extrapolate from that that people paying a lot of money for a game they can do nothing with afterwards (and gives a worse experience due to the very constraints of streaming) was not really that appealing.

I personally dislike the pay but own nothing model. I can mitigate this with things like the game pass method to get it for like £2 a month but any more than that and I don't want it.

My pipe dream would be actually something similar to stadia. I enjoy minimalism and I'd love to not have a box of a console laying around. In the unlikely event that streaming could offer a native console experience consistently and various price options I'd be more interested but I always want the option to download to some kind of device
This is where I see the benefit of NFTs for digital ownership. Thankfully Google can afford to refund everyone which I'm genuinely glad about, but as we have seen in other cases when a service shuts down, you lose everything you paid for.

Last edited:
Soldato
At least they doing some refunds, more than I seen other companies do on abandonware.

But yeah google have a shocking history of backing out of products.

Digital seems to be failing (compared to steam) on these services and consoles because the pricing is too greedy. Supposedly they deliberately dont undercut retailers to protect brick and mortar, but whats their excuse when its £5 in a shop and £50 online.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you all think the cost model was? I don't understand the hate towards it.

@KraniX you do realise you didn't need to buy a single piece of hardware to play Stadia?

Re. The cost model had (wrongly or rightly) been understood generally as "the Netflix for games" which we know it wasn't but that was the perception and as such was received badly on launch.

I might be remembering it wrong, but if I recall you could try Stadia on a browser or phone for free but if you didn't have any games or Pro there wasn't much to play. I wanted it on TV as a console replacement and that required a Chromecast ultra and the controller.

Soldato
On the off chance you are not being deliberately obtuse I will give my understanding of it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There was a premium subscription about £9 a month which allowed streaming up to 4K and included a tiny library of games a bit like a really mini game pass only with streaming.
You had to pay full price for new games on top of this subscription.

There was a version with no subscription that allowed up to 1080p. You paid full price for games with this too and didn't have access to the prem library.

Wasn't it £70 to play borderlands 3, game that had already been out a while and was about £20 on other consoles?
Regardless of your choice, you are paying full price RRP for games you could only stream.
You have probably seen the backlash about PS5 games being £70 for discs which you can at least re-sell. It is not hard to extrapolate from that that people paying a lot of money for a game they can do nothing with afterwards (and gives a worse experience due to the very constraints of streaming) was not really that appealing.

I personally dislike the pay but own nothing model. I can mitigate this with things like the game pass method to get it for like £2 a month but any more than that and I don't want it.

My pipe dream would be actually something similar to stadia. I enjoy minimalism and I'd love to not have a box of a console laying around. In the unlikely event that streaming could offer a native console experience consistently and various price options I'd be more interested but I always want the option to download to some kind of device
This is where I see the benefit of NFTs for digital ownership. Thankfully Google can afford to refund everyone which I'm genuinely glad about, but as we have seen in other cases when a service shuts down, you lose everything you paid for.

Not at all being purposefully obtuse.

Yes, you're correct on the model and while I do party agree with what you say about BL3 being over priced, there where many sales if you kept your eye on it. Granted, they never made a big announcement when a sale was on, so that's Google's fault. But BL3 Ultimate Edition was down to £9.99 at one point - I don't think anybody could complain at that price.

I agree with what you're saying about paying at not owning it. But I think that's the way many things are heading. Look at Prime Video. You pay to rent or watch the movie and it can be removed at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom