Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Cripes, it’s soon crept on us, launch date is Tuesday! Am looking forward to seeing what happens when Joe Public gets their hands on it. Everyone seems impressed with xCloud.

Caporegime
OP
It could be the unfamiliarity with a new set of development tools. All these games have to be ported to Vulkan and Linux and who knows what quirks that set up might have. It's certainly not a commonplace environment.

Caporegime
OP
Just to balance the argument out though here's another DF quote.

And what you lose in precision detail and latency, you gain in convenience. Load up Red Dead Redemption 2 or Destiny 2 in parallel with their console counterparts and the reduction in loading times alone is tremendous. Meanwhile, just to get the comparisons in place for this article, I've had to leave my Xbox One X downloading overnight a couple of times to access titles that can have storage footprints in excess of 100GB. Put simply, instant access to anything and everything in your library has enormous value.

It could be, at the end of the day, no hefty console purchase, no downloads and instant access at the loss of image quality and latency could be what wins it.

Caporegime
OP
I am hoping steam will release such a thing, that way we have the option of either playing our games on local hardware or stream it. I am sure if theyt offered it for £9.99 a months a lot of people would much prefer to use it due to the flexibility.

I don't know how they could do it without investing many, many $$$$. The entire Steam library would need to be adjusted to work on a fixed hardware spec if Valve do similar to Stadia. (And it's highly likely they'd copy Stadia with Vulkan and Linux instead of paying Microsoft for Windows.) Or they might just port things as they go and if your game isn't on the list, you'll have to download it. Maybe they could provide access to virtual PCs like Shadow.tech. It's easy for Microsoft and Sony because they have a fixed hardware spec in place with the Xbone and PS4. But for Valve it would be somewhat of a nightmare. The same would apply to all the others like EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard-Activision who have been murmuring in the past about setting up their own cloud streaming services.

Caporegime
OP
So what I'm wondering is why the poor settings for some of the games when compared to Xbox One X.
If Stadia has a better CPU and better GPU, why is Destiny only running at 1080p60? Why is RDR2 only running at 1440p? Why is Tomb Raider still having to offer 4K30 or <4K for 60fps?

Caporegime
OP
You aren't going to be playing Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on Stadia fo' sure! So if you value Sony's exclusives then a PS5 is a no-brainer (unless you want to use PS Now). If you get a PS5 then why would you buy the same game on Stadia instead? Only if you swap around screens regularly, I suppose.

Caporegime
OP
Not a single frame rate issue playing another couple of hours of Shadow of Tomb raider. Heavy jungle environment, looks amazing. Stadia confirms 4K, HDR & years of playing 30fps caps on PS4 I can confirm it's way above that though would like a counter in the corner. Feels like 60fps as advertised.

You're either playing at 4K30 or lower than 4K to get 60fps. The game has a performance/quality mode.

Caporegime
OP
Okay yes, Samsung TV without Judder Reduction in Gaming Mode (10/10 to 0/10) takes it to to what must be 30fps. So yeah, I wouldn't recommend Stadia unless you have a good brand 4K TV with extensive Gaming Mode options. The interpolation makes it a far more pleasant experience.

Whatever the game is being rendered at on Stadia you should always be getting a 1080p60 or 4K60 video stream to your TV because they will upscale the resolution for Pro subscribers and do 2x encode for 30fps games. So it shouldn't really matter what your TV is doing processing-wise as long as you have the right mode (game) for lowering display lag.

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
You can't use DirectX for a start, you have to use Vulkan. It might be easy to port, it might not be. I have no idea. But there aren't many games on PC that use Vulkan even though it's been available for a while. It all depends on Google's toolchain. I guess you could liken it to consoles in that first generation games always perform a bit janky and then after a few years things start to get better.

Caporegime
OP
I wonder what’s going on with the free access and integration with YouTube which is supposed to really get things going. Has there been any official comms this year?

Caporegime
OP
This thread has pretty much been people coming in and bashing it for months without trying it for themselves

LOL, how about Google get their act together and you know, launch the stuff they said they were going to like the free tier, the integration with YouTube, etc. Nobody's going to give two hoots about Stadia when xCloud is fully launched.

Back
Top Bottom