GoPro 3

New update is available, also update to iOS app.

RELEASE NOTES:
This camera software update provides the following additional features and fixes:
•Enables compatibility with new GoPro App features
•Corrects HDMI TV preview from low res to high res
•Fixes forced exposure lock on 0.5 and 1 second time-lapse intervals
•Optimizes compatibility with select microSD cards by reducing data stream rate to 35Mb/sec while recording in 4K, 2.7K and Protune™ modes (HERO3: Black Edition only).

Last edited:
Soldato
I mounted my Go Pro 3 to record a time lapse from Ipswich to Brighton (picture every 2 seconds then processed at 24 fps). Unfortunately it ran out of power just after the Dartford Crossing but it still seemed to work ok!

Moving away from cars myself and a mate are taking our Aprilias out for a jaunt to the north Norfolk coast this weekend, so hopefully we'll get some proper video recorded.

EDit: Go Pro 3 BE.

Last edited:
Soldato
It needs slowing down a good bit I think due to the ever changing scenery/subject matter... unlike sunset/sunrise time lapses thatcan be fast as the camera is usually pointing at a fixed position.

Caporegime
Anywhere cheaper to get these?

Going to the states soon and found the silver (unless I can be convinced I see no need for a black?) for £200.

Good price or can they be had over here for that price now?

Associate
Anywhere cheaper to get these?

Going to the states soon and found the silver (unless I can be convinced I see no need for a black?) for £200.

Good price or can they be had over here for that price now?

The Black has better image quality, higher resolutions, higher frame rates and comes with the wifi remote which costs £80 anyway so the RRP cost difference is very little.

The Black was on Groupon for £279.99 a few weeks ago.

Caporegime
Finally found the time to sort out the video footage from my Egypt trip.

All shot on a GoPro Hero 3 Blick edition, unfortunately we only had time to tie it to our BCD's and hold it manually, apologise for the shakyness...although it's a lot better since I ran image stabilising on it in iMovie.

Caporegime
Very nice! No Thistlegorm? :)

November :) I spent my time skilling up, getting back into it, completing my advance and doing a Nitrox speciality. :) - But am back in November so will Thistlegorm it then.

Why's it so shakey Phate if you're holding it? Never been diving properly so ignore any stupidity :)

First few bits were filmed by my GF, she has shakey hands :p - the rest was filmed by me but again, handheld.

Will go back with a pole/mount in November. :)

Soldato
That would be another reason for shakier footage then. Given its size, its best to shoot using the higher frame rates as it creates much smoother motion.

Just as an example, I've been editing some footage from two Hero2s. I was using 720 @60fps on mine, while my friend was using 720 @30fps. The difference is significant, as the footage from my camera is far smoother.

Obviously there are a couple of caveats. The higher frame rates obviously use more file space, but I found shooting at 60fps its fine. The other is that you want to use a lower frame rate in darker environments, so underwater a slower frame rate may be beneficial so that it doesn't up the gain if its really dark.

Also worth pointing out to anyone who doesn't know, you can access higher framerates by switching from PAL to NTSC in the settings. Its largely irrelevant these days as TVs in the UK will play back NTSC framerates just fine these days, plus most people are uploading to the web anyways where it really doesn't matter.

Soldato
Has anyone had a problem charging the gopro abroad? Currently travelling around SE Asia and its taking 3+ days to fully charge an official battery. This is using a wall charger.

Back
Top Bottom