GoPro 3

Associate
November :) I spent my time skilling up, getting back into it, completing my advance and doing a Nitrox speciality. :) - But am back in November so will Thistlegorm it then.

It's a brilliant dive. I did the Thistlegorm first time as part of my Advanced (Wreck Dive). Couldn't have picked a better wreck to start with :)

"we are not doing hull penetration, that is dangerous - we are doing a swim-through! :)"

Man of Honour
Thanks, these are just early tests... Wanna start visiting interesting places with it.

Just stock DJI one... I have a Devo10 TX which is 100mw (the DJI one is less than 10mw), but unless fitted with FPV I don't think I'd ever go much past 200m as it's just a tiny spec in the air by then. the DJI one is meant to be good for 300m

Caporegime
Recorded a time lapse at 1 shot a second this afternoon. What's the best software to edit them into a video? CineForm seems a bit clunky and seems to be taking an age and I'm not even convinced I have the settings right.

Soldato
Did everyone spot that GoPro released new camera models today?
They have introduced the GoPro Hero3+ Black & Silver editions and discontinued the previous models announced last October.

Main differences are:

- 20% smaller
Its reported its mainly just a redesigned case for the camera, as although the body is 2g lighter, the dimensions remain the same.

- 33% better sharpness
Has an improved lens, so that's quite good.

- Better quality audio
Apparently it has 10dB better range.

- 30% longer battery life
This is the biggest issue with the Hero3 Black over previous models, but it uses the same battery, so presumably the improvement has come from it being more energy efficient inside.

- WiFi speed improved
Not many details on this, but I'd imagine it means less of the lag, which is at least 6 seconds, when using the phone app to control the camera.

- Superview
Gives a super wide angle image. I've not seen much on this yet, but I don't think it's likely to be anything that special.

- Auto Light Mode
Supposed to change things like shutter speed and iso based on lighting conditions.

- Silver version loses ProTune mode.
A negative if you are using the Silver as it now means the Pro features are only available on the black editions.

I don't think the new product has been that well received as it doesn't feel like a substantial upgrade and also feels a lot like maybe this is more what the Black should have originally been last year. The biggest cry from people is that they wanted to see 4K with a proper frame rate. Personally that doesn't interest me, I think its 1080p @120fps that the next model needs.

I certainly have no interest in upgrading, but it will be interesting to see how some real world comparisons do. I'm sure we will see a Hero4 this time next year though.

Man of Honour
Still 64GB sd card limit, is there a reason why practically no gadgets support sdhc/sDXC, despite cards being available.
I mean its easy enough to get 128 and 256 cards these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure I personally find that a limiting factor.

I got by fine with the older hero models with 16gb and 32gb cards. I now have a 64gb card in the Hero3 and don't really run out of space.

The big issue with all GoPro models has always been that you will long run out of battery power before you do memory space.

64GB is more than enough for a day filming activities I've found with snowboarding, mountain biking and white water rafting. Having extra memory space or more cards only really comes into play when you are away somewhere that you can't back them up to something else. Plus I'd also add that having a few cards also lessens the risk of losing everything if a card fails.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I personally find that a limiting factor.

Depends how long you want it for. I want to time lapse for ~9 days. Be nice to have big sd cards, then thats one less thing you have to worry about well you still require several rather than dozens, still require loads of batteries.

But why? Surly it would cost pennies if not the same to implement. I mean its still basically the same, an sd card slot. Surly the new version cant cost huge amounts more than the old one, especially on a £300+ device.
And many of the sports are in remote places, which is one of its main target audience.

Soldato
As I said before though, battery life is so critical to GoPros that you will have long run out of batteries before you do memory space. So if you are somewhere remote, you are going to need to be able to charge them. Unless you were actually camping in the wild, I would think you should be able to find somewhere to charge and possibly back them up.

As for a timelapse for the length of time you suggest, that would require external power, so might as well use a laptop or similar to record the data in the first place. Infact, I'd use something better than a GoPro to do the job which also offered manual control if I wanted it to look really good.

I'm also not seeing much in the way of availability to buy Micro SD cards over 64GB, not doubt they would be double the price of them anyway.

Man of Honour
Doesn't gopro have port you can connect external battery to, you can easily carry 60,000mah of power with you, yes it is camping and no space for laptops or anything to charge laptops.
I haven't found a device perfect, but go pro seems the best action camera.
128gb cards are easy to find, most places sell them. Cost of card really doesn't matter when you want connivence and of course forward compatible.

But as i said, i just don't understand why they don't, sd card slot with a new standard, isn't going to turn fro, a few pennies to £10 and they're backwards compatible. So why don't they.

Although if you want to suggest a better camera it would be appreciated.
~108hrs at a guess of 20frames a minute, but really need to have a play around.
Can clip to the chest or rucksack strap. And of course can plug external batteries in.
And a good lens/software, but gopro seems to win at low light, bright light everything.nothing seems to support more than 64gb.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes you can power it using any external device that can connect to its mini-usb port.

I'm still not seeing anywhere selling 128gb Micro SD cards, infact the only reference I can find is this article from two months ago where Sandisk said:

Full-size 128GB SD cards are already available – Sandisk’s own 128GB Extreme SD card sells for just over £100 – but getting the size down to a level that will fit into microSD cards and today’s slim phones is “a significant challenge.”

You keep referring to SD cards though, you are aware that the Hero3 switched to Micro SD cards in order to reduce the size of the unit?

Reason I suggested using something else for timelapses is that the GoPro is great as an action camera for filming yourself/POV/Nearby-friends, but for landscape and timelapse work its field of view doesn't make it the best. Plus there is the fact that with no real manual control you can't lock off settings. I've tested doing a timelapse a number of times with a GoPro and during something like a sunset, when the light level starts to drop it will up the gain and change the shutter speed etc, so its really jarring. A DSLR would be ideal, but even a decent compact that has manual control and can be connected to a computer would be good also.

If you are looking to go camping and film timelapses then obviously it sounds like you are after an all in one solution to do it all to save weight carrying things.

I personally use an iPad and camera connection kit to backup any videos while away and don't want to be carrying a laptop.

Caporegime
Quick one for you guys.

Has anyone here ever used a company for repairing a GoPro?

Dad got his one wet on holiday accidentally and its killed it, he's ordered a Hero 3+ to replace it but hes tasked me with arranging the repair of his old one so he and I can share them.

Cheers for any info.
Jake

Associate
I lost my GoPro a few weeks back during Gorging on the Brecon Beacons... the side of the waterfall we jumped off i had no chance in finding it again haha!

Now to wait for the 4 so i can loose that also! Doh

Back
Top Bottom