• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
To be fair, I don't know many people who clean their gaming PC regularly, let alone run it in dust free clean room conditions.

If a GPU is run sensibly I see no impact of using it for mining in terms of it's reliability.

Soldato
Electronics running 24/7 at a sustained temperature produce a lot less fatigue on things that are regularly heat cycled with 40-50c swings as that constant contraction/expansion of solder joints etc is what causes them to fail

But that is taken into account and built into the design. Look at how many people are still running 4770K chips overclocked or R290s with no problems for normal usage. GPUs are not designed to run 24/7, hence the large reduction in warranty on official mining cards from the same GPU manufacturers, and warranties being invalidated on gaming cards that are used for mining.

Man of Honour
But that is taken into account and built into the design. Look at how many people are still running 4770K chips overclocked or R290s with no problems for normal usage. GPUs are not designed to run 24/7, hence the large reduction in warranty on official mining cards from the same GPU manufacturers, and warranties being invalidated on gaming cards that are used for mining.

Valid points, and in fairness nothing me or anyone else says will change anyone's opinion on the matter either, one camp will firmly believe mining cards see no extra wear vs gaming cards and vice versa.

Fatigue from heat cycling is a very real issue though. Admittedly it isn't something I've seen for a long time, but there were 10s if not 100s of threads in the 8xxxx, 2xx, 4xx Nvidia era where cards were failing just out of warranty and people were stripping them baking them and getting another 6-12 months life from them (That process is just crudely reflowing the solder fixing any bad joins after all)

I'd gladly buy a card that's been mined on for gaming, and I know exactly the life those cards are getting

Soldato
Valid points, and in fairness nothing me or anyone else says will change anyone's opinion on the matter either, one camp will firmly believe mining cards see no extra wear vs gaming cards and vice versa.

Fatigue from heat cycling is a very real issue though. Admittedly it isn't something I've seen for a long time, but there were 10s if not 100s of threads in the 8xxxx, 2xx, 4xx Nvidia era where cards were failing just out of warranty and people were stripping them baking them and getting another 6-12 months life from them (That process is just crudely reflowing the solder fixing any bad joins after all)

Wasn't that the infamous Nvidia bumpgate problem which was actually down to a faulty design/materials?

I'd gladly buy a card that's been mined on for gaming, and I know exactly the life those cards are getting

If they've been looked after by someone like you. I suspect most casual miners are not going to be as fastidious, or care what happens once they get sold on.

Associate
To be fair, I don't know many people who clean their gaming PC regularly, let alone run it in dust free clean room conditions.

If a GPU is run sensibly I see no impact of using it for mining in terms of it's reliability.
I dust in and around mine twice a week.

Then again four cats and a dog means it needs doing that regularly...

Soldato
I think most miners would look after their gpus as longer it lasts the better the return on investment. Where as say someone that benches a card may well of feed it silly volts for a few top scores, Still i've had ex mining cards and ex benched cpus and gpus and both been fine.
Price,condition and if a card works is what i base my buying on not what its past life has been.

Soldato
I would class mining in any way shape or form as a business and therefore anyone offloading ex mining gear on the MM is trading which is against the rules.

OcUK and these forums has always been about gaming which means a maximum of 4 cards.

I really think OcUK should ban any mining gear being sold in the MM as it is bad for the members (Clapped out cards) and bad for the company.

Don't be daft, Going on that then anyone which has made money from their respective PC components should not be allowed to use the MM, You also cant just say GPU's either in your scenario as you would have to include the entire system's parts aswell!

Associate
I think what I see as a gamer is cards sandwiched together all in a line which makes me feel not treated well and could fail. If they are sold as ex mining cards used ex amount of days with following settings and If the price is reasonable I could bite. What I do see is cards trying to be sold as lite use. One old person driver and hiding the fact and that is done for a reason.

Soldato
I wonder when it will be when I can justify spending £800 on a gpu... I can but I won't, because I know better than to go along with the prices with the way they are when they were once cheaper. Fine if you don't care, or do in fact need one and there is no other way, but for me it seems idiotic to pay that price right now when I would rather wait. But if the prices are now to remain at this as the new set price point for future card to follow, then I'm out of pc gaming for the time being.

It's a shame that I'm rubbish playing shooters on the ps4 and a lot of them have veen capepd to 30fps, otherwise I would easily switch from the pc for all my gaming needs.

Soldato
Will the price of graphics cards be the death of PC gaming?

I've been thinking of making a very modest upgrade to my ageing PC for a few weeks, I was only thinking of a 1050Ti. But every time I check they appear to have gone up a few more quid, it's a pretty modest card, but they range from £164.99 to £199.99 on here. Even mid range cards are £500 or more, it's crazy money, you can understand why folk would ditch the PC and buy a console.

It this the way of it now or will the bubble burst anytime soon? (apologies if the subject has been raised before, not got the time to skip through a hundred or more pages of post)

Back
Top Bottom